“Great Small Place”

Ranked #69 of 95 Hotels in Tulum
Los Angeles, California
“Great Small Place”
Reviewed May 11, 2012

After driving from Cancun to Tulum early in the morning we wanted to just find a place where we could Lounge and enjoy the beach for the day. After walking around we came across Posada Del Sol. After looking around I told the lady at the counter that my wife and I just wanted a Room-Bungalow for the day and wanted access to a shower. She said she had room available and we opted for a small bungalow (Beach Side) on the second floor of the restroom. They also gave me a parking spot for the rental. We paid 834.00MX = $63.36 USD..
The restroom we were given access to was for the employees only and it was very clean and had a shower. Their staff seemed ok, didn’t have much contact with them. Their beach access is great and we truly enjoyed the day at the beach..
There’s a Hotel –Restaurant next door that has beach waiters that offer you drinks (I am guessing the properties have an understanding about this) Overall the place seemed fine and I would consider staying here one day, although I will require a bigger room and a private restroom..

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Gsrmode

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
San Pedro
Reviewed May 4, 2012

We stayed there one night...it was okay except the people weren't very nice. It was busy in Tulum so the next day they didn't have the same room. The owner or manager not sure which showed us another room. We agreed to take it for three days. They said "leave your bags here.go have fun and when the room is ready, we'll move your stuff in ,just get the key when you return.

When we returned.they had given our room away and offered us a room across the street instead, needless to say we weren't happy and would never go there again!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Kurt F
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed March 9, 2012

Great place, very friendly staff, but we did not pick a good room. The graden room had really hard beds and was noisy. It was very windy when we were there, but its fantastic to have your own beach. Posada del Sol was helpful and the staff were friendly and kind. Highly recommend.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
Winnipeg
Reviewed March 7, 2012

We spent a week down in Tulum and stopped by this place to have a look around. The woman at the front desk said that she had a room for us and showed it to us. We said that we would take it for the next night, she didn't want a deposit or a name and even though we thought it was strange we left. The next day we came back and the room was taken. Silly thing is that when we said the girl was going to hold it they asked what he name was, how the heck I am to know she was running your place yesterday and you don't know?
They did give us "the best rooms" in Tulum however it was $40 more then the other one. We took the rooms and thought what ever it was two nights and we were off to Cozumel. The first one was facing the water right at the ocean side which was looking at the decking, that was ok, the open washroom was ok as we had the same thing down the road but what I couldn't understand was that there was no air conditioning or even a fan in the room. Thinking that the room would cool off at night right? Wrong it was HOT, even with the windows open there was no air movement and no one was around. The next morning we had breakfast there and no complaints on that it is what it is. However night two in another room was like the first now fan or air conditioner I thought once more that it wouldn't be that bad... wrong once more. I was lucky this time and caught the girl in the front and begged for a fan she did find one thank god.
Our bathroom light didn't work and thought nothing about it till the next day when my wife went to try it again and got a shock. I tried it and yes I got a shock, bad wiring good thing the place didn't start on fire.
And those bugs that others have talked about we had them also. We had them the first night and we looked it up and found that the bites were the same that you would find in bed bugs. My wife was eaten all over her body except her face. I had a few but mostly on my legs. We looked up bed bugs and found that they will have a three point bite marks, breakfast lunch and dinner bites they call them as they like the area and feast there. The site we checked said blood on the sheets would also be there and it was.
I have nothing against the hotel but once again I have to let people know what we found and for the money this is not the place to stay.
Great restaurants are close by, really good places to eat.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank WinnipegZammer
Shanghai, China
Reviewed March 2, 2012

A wonderful Hotel with great staff.... booked the hotel to stay with my daughter.... the first night was a great 2 x double bed, but that was only available for the 1 night. They gave a complete refund on the deposit as they could not provide a suitable room. Loved the shop, the beach, breakfast and the rooms are great..... HIGHLY recommended

Room Tip: The beach rooms are the best, but the garden rooms are a lot cheaper....
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
East Sussex
Reviewed February 20, 2012

I think the reviewers who 'loved' this hotel stayed in a different room from ours. I also booked through Booking, com and got a dark, damp 'garden' room. We asked immediately for a different room/upgrade but were told there was nothing else available yet the 'vacancy' sign was displayed all the time we were there. Also the information given on Booking.com is incorrect. There is no 24 hour reception, the place is locked up and dark at 10pm. There is certainly no restaurant and bar and we did not find the staff helpful. The chambermaids were somewhat erratic as well (no clean towels one day, no water the next etc. etc.)
The rooms are 'rustic' style and the 'en suite' bathroom is more of an in-room bathroom. There is no dividing door or even a complete wall so unless you are very uninhibited, your travelling companion has to leaved the room entirely while you attend to personal hygiene and natural functions.
However, the biggest issue is the solar power. (booking.com doesn't tell you this either) The hotel had warned us that there were no power sockets in the rooms, not even a shaver socket. This means that you cannot use electric mosquito deterrents either and you definitely need something. There are many biting insects especially in the 'garden' rooms. You need to bring the mosquito coils that burn. These really helped. Neither can you use your travelling kettle. I didn't think this would be a problem as the hotel stated there was hot water/coffee available but outside of breakfast time you could not get a drink. Fortunately when you are on the beach the lovely helpful people next door can provide you with food and drink.
The solar power provided constant hot water and powered the fan all night, good, but for some bizarre reason the lighting in the room was very dim. Very low watt bulbs and nothing by the bed. You could not read at all or write postcards.
The biggest irony about all this 'eco awareness' was that there was very good lighting in the on-site shop (which the staff were more involved in than with the guests) the staff had phones and laptops plugged in and the staff (or owners perhaps) had 2 huge 3.2 litre Volvo SUVs parked outside. 'Green'? I think not!

Room Tip: DON'T TAKE A GARDEN ROOM (it's not a garden anyway, it's a back room across the road wit...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank dianagray
Regina, Canada
Reviewed January 26, 2012

I booked a room at Posada Del sol using the search engine booking.com. Why? because I didn't get a response from the hotel directly and when I saw they had vacancy on booking. com I wanted to book it right away...After reviewing others experiences there I realized that I had been put in the room closest to the road where there would be lots of noise etc. I tried contacting the hotel again and again asking for a room change and did not get any response... I went back to booking.com and they contacted the hotel for me I had been put into garden room 1. The noisy one.
It was to late my credit card was already charged. and 1 month before I arrive. It's not like they couldn't rent it to someone else. Maybe the hotel is great but they use booking.com which allows them to take payment immediately even if your customer isn't satisfied before getting there. Local places like playa mambo don't need booking.com for advertising they can stand on their own and word just gets around. Also they give discounts on full payment up front...so it pays to shop around and don't get sucked into booking.com or other sites which show vacancies you could end up with the "not so great" room.

Room Tip: Shop around and talk directly with the hotel not through a booking site, you will end up with the cr...
Stayed January 2012, traveled solo