“Worse place ever!!”
Review of Lobo Inn

Lobo Inn
Ranked #53 of 89 Tulum B&B and Inns
Reviewed May 12, 2011

After reading some negative stories we gave this one a try after a reccomendation of some people we met on our way. I wished we've never done that!

1. The room was facing the highway, a lot of noise from the traffic.
2. Our food was stolen from the fridge twice, no action taken by the owners.
3. You have to give off your
passport while checkin in, you won't feel comfortable doing that to the people.
4. The place is not clean, especially the shower and sink.
5. They say they have warm water 24h, but they don't have warm water at all.
6. The pool was not clean, a lo of leaf in it during they days we stayed.

They price is reasonable if they offer what they say but that is not the reality. Never stay at this place again!

• Stayed: May 2011
1  Thank Cornee
There are newer reviews for Lobo Inn

Reviewed April 6, 2011

I was in Tulum for a few days and had two friends who were staying at Lobo Inn and went there for a meal and to hang out a couple of times. They did complain that the rooms were dirty but it had a great atmosphere which to me is more important when I am travelling.

I went on a road trip and decided to return to tulum for two weeks at the end of my trip, having told everyone on the way about the hostel.

I came back with my friend to receptionists whom had previously been friendly but were now scowling and rude. This was to the extent that when we came back with bikes from a ride to town, the receptionist on duty actually screamed at us to put the bikes at the back of the hostel.
The dorm we were in had 16 beds and was permanently filthy. There were two extremely cramped toilets (so little leg room you had to leave the door open when on the loo), and a mexican in the next bed who had been at the hostel for two years.
On our first night one of the guys who worked there kept coming in and out of the room and at one point I woke up to find him staring at me whilst I slept. He also kept switching the light on (4.30am).
The night after that the mexican guy got very drunk and came in shouting, then vomited all over the floor. Although this was not the fault of the hostel I wnet to reception three times and nobody was there - my friend ended up sleeping in the garden and I took a bed in the dorm downstairs which she was afraid to do as two nights earlier she had taken the bed of a friend in a cooler corner of the room as we knew she would be staying with her boyfriend that night; reception shouted at her and she was afraid that would happen again.
We also managed to mix up our bicycle helmets, though the fact that we were travelling together should not have meant any big deal - again my friend was shouted at because of this.

I also, from when I arrived, asked if there were any rooms available; I was told there were none and that they had no idea when some would become available. The receptionist seemed to thnk this was highly amusing; the prices then also kept changing according to who we were talking to.

I have never had such a horrible expereince in a hostel, for god´s sake spend a little more money and go elsewhere.

There was a very strange atmosphere to the hostel and it is a pity as I went back there in good faith .

Room Tip: go to los mapaches.
  • Stayed: March 2011, traveled with friends
2  Thank amalia74
Reviewed March 14, 2011

most of computers do not work
free bicycle but most don't work
included breakfast very light
dirty pool
very noisy
and workers no professional at all

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank manustrack
Reviewed January 29, 2011

Positives: Free bikes (although not in good condition), cooked breakfast.

Negatives: This has to be the worst hostel I’ve ever stayed in (and I’ve backpacked over 30 countries). The whole place was dirty and the staff were rude and uninterested. The woman that checked us in didn’t speak English and didn’t make an effort to understand our Spanish. The 18 bed dorm was really cramped with no room for bags between bunks, there was rubbish everywhere, no curtains and there was no top sheet provided. The shared bathroom had two toilets for 18 people but one was blocked the whole time we were there, the toilet cubicles were so small it was hard to close the door and fit your knees in the cubicle. There were two showers but one door didn’t close. There are lockers provided but not enough in the room for the number of beds. The pool looked like it hadn’t been cleaned for months, you wouldn’t risk getting in there! The hostel is located out of the main town so if you want to go out to eat t night you’ll end up paying for taxis. Although the hostel advertises itself as HI they told us to put away our HI memberships when we tried to show them at check in. We had booked for 4 nights but left after 2 and lost our deposit.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled with friends
1  Thank jj_travelling_2010
Reviewed November 19, 2010

I stayed 1 night in Lobo in Nov. 2010. I didn't find the place impressive even by hostel standards. I do feel the staff was nice enough and gave good advice. As another review mentioned, they do offer to hold your passport for you, but it is optional. I only stayed one night because I slept horribly from the mosquitoes. I didn't really fit in with the clientele, there wasn't much socializing the night I stayed. I checked out before breakfast so I cant comment on it. There were about 20 bikes free to use, which I didn't use. Wifi worked well in the common areas. I didnt use their computers but there were several with LCD screens. Location is good, on the North end of Tulum and not far from the ruins. All in all I would recommend for backpackers, as the scene can change in an instant. But as usual if you don't feel like staying just move along to the next place.

I would recommend a short 20min drive to the south for the ruins of Muyil, peaceful and not many visitors. Plus you can enter Sian Kaan biosphere reserve!

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 23, 2010

Pros: Free bike use (although they are supposedly required to be in by 9:00 p.m.), decent little pool, pretty yard/foliage area, large kitchen, good breakfast, many computers and wifi (although painfully slow at times). The public beach and ruins are within walking distance, tho I think it is still about 2K.

Cons: Rooms are bland and rather small, bathroom in upper dorm is cramped and doesn't smell too good, showers are tiny, no time limit on computer access, terrible customer service. Also there seems to be one or two guys currently living there who are drunk a lot and talk smack. Private rooms are way too pricey. They are 400 pesos, and for 325 in the off-season you can get a beautiful cabana right near the beach. They are located near the highway, but quite a hoof from downtown, so you will probably need either bikes or a taxi.

We had an okay experience there, despite its shortcomings until the end. We originally stayed early in September, traveled around, and came back. We were given coupons on our initial visit for 10% off to be shown at check-in. We showed them to the lady but apparently she didn't note it in the book. When we checked out, she wasn't there, and the guy wouldn't give us the discount, although we pleaded our case. So about 24 pesos was worth it to them to send us away mad and to write a bad review.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 18, 2010

Be ready to give up your passport once you arrive. I was not happy about give my passport to strangers. Day I arrived I told Emanuel Tabares (he took my passport and he claims to be new owner) a tour for Coba ruin for the next day at 9AM..Next day at 830AM personal in charge try to contact Mr. Tabares to know if tour was confirmed as he told me last night but he was not available. Later he told me he was at the airport (?) I decide to go San Francisco supermarket (half mile away) to take local transportation and complete my tour to Coba. The surprise come when he charge me for the tour at the time I was checking out. I have no choice but pay because my bus for Chichen Itza was about to leave. Emnauel charge me 50% of this tour I never did it. He was abusive and he took advance -because he had my passport- to charge me for a tour I never took. don't recommend this place to anybody. BE AWARE OF THE OWNER !!!!

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled solo