“Nice, cheap but noisy”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Tulum
Hotel Cabanas Luna Maya
Ranked #99 of 123 Specialty Lodging in Tulum
Minneapolis, Minnesota
“Nice, cheap but noisy”
Reviewed January 8, 2012

We really liked the place and the hotel itself is beautiful. The private beach is nice but rocky. We stayed at cabana 6. You can eat great paellas at the restaurant and the complementary breakfast is awesome. Staff is very friendly. Our problem was that we couldn't sleep well at all due to of the street noise and music. Our cabana faced the main street and we had live music from the hotel and the restaurant crossing the street until midnight. After the music was off the problem was the street noise: traffic is almost constant throughout day and night, people talking...you can hear everything from the first cabana. So we were tossing and turning until 1 or 2am and then at 6am the street noise and noises from the hotel normal routine wake you up. It was just $70, but even if you pay $250 for the fanciest room at this hotel I think the noise problem would be about the same.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank ann g

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
New York, New York, United States
Reviewed January 7, 2012

We had a good trip overall. We stayed five nights in Suite Gueco, #10. The room was very cool. The palapa room was nice as well, with cool art accents. The restaurant is solid and the bar/outdoor areas are especially nice. Our view was lovely and the hotel gave us a free bottle of wine upon arrival.

The shower was a little hard to control, but we did get hot water. At most, we just had to wait a couple of minutes. The water was salty and the pressure was weak, but this is par for the course in this section of Tulum.

The breakfast was basic. As others have mentioned, it had juice, coffee, a small amount of fruit, and toast. It wasn't bad, but did feel a little limiting after five days.

It was pretty cold when we went; be aware that temperatures can drop to the 50s at night during winter. Compound this with the ocean wind...and you'll need warmer clothes and blankets. Thankfully the hotel supplied us with two.

Unlike some previous reviewers, we did find palapa umbrellas on the beach and mats on the loungers. The cove is very nice; I thought I'd prefer an open expanse, but this was better.

The location is really good. The hotel is located between Piedras Escondida and Zamas. There are many restaurants within easy walking distance, as well as an (expensive) convenience store with an ATM.

The wifi was weak and worked for about half of the time.

If I return for a stretch of time, I probably will stay in a resort because I missed the amenities. However, this is a pretty good hotel and a great choice for a weekend.

• Stayed January 2012
2 Thank Lindsay R
jmw61
Reviewed December 3, 2011

We paid $90 for a king size room for two which is a good price for Tulum. The location was great and the staff was very friendly. The rooms were clean but a bit run down. The light switch in the bathroom had a short in it so every time you switched on the lights you got shocked (we eventually just kept the lights off in there). Our room had a front and back patio, the back patio had a hammock and the front one had two chairs. There is an observation platform over looking the ocean on a little cliff and we sat up there and watched the stars at night. Nice little beach and walking distance to a few restaurants. Price includes a continental breakfast of toast, juice, fruit and coffee.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank jmw61
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed November 1, 2011

We (adult family of 5) stayed at Luna Maya on the advice of a friend. It's a beautiful little hotel with a small private beach (can be a bit stony underfoot in the water) shared with a couple of other hotels. The rooms are clean and attractively decorated, with excellent mosquito nets - very necessary when we were there in July. The grounds are beautifully kept, the sand raked every day and the plants very lush and green. There is an outside shady bar/restaurant where we spent some lazy chatting time, and several hammocks at the entrance to the beach. Also a viewing tower where you can view the coastline, sometimes closed so that clients can receive private massages. I didn't have one but I loved the idea. Best thing was the manager Walter who is just one of those special people, very helpful and with great local knowledge.

Room Tip: The downstairs room with its own private balcony cost a bit more but was lovely, away from the stree...
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Koenigsbrunn, Germany
Reviewed September 13, 2011

We stayed at Luna Maya for four nights and it's a great place. Very small and cosy and we were the only guests in the eight rooms for most of the time. Marcos, the nighttime receptionist, was extremely helpful - hooking us up with dive tours, booking taxis and so on. Also gave us a room upgrade when we arrived which was fantastic. He just seems to be born for his job. Great stretch of beach as well. The clifftop spa is a magical place.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
leeds, yorkshire
Reviewed August 1, 2011

Our son and daughter-in-law booked us in here, kindly taking a lower-down room while we clambered up a wooden spiral staircase into a kind-of tree house (I have spent years building a tree house at home in Leeds). It was quite windy when we were in Tulum which added to the castaway feel as the roof rocked and the thatch rustled and creaked. The hotel is very laid-back with a nice lookout platform over the sea and a small but pleasant beach with easy potters to other small hotels on the coastal strip where you can get different meals. The Luna Maya's own restaurant does simple but good food, not very speedily, but no one would stay in Tulum if they were in a rush. Everything is kept wonderfully shipshape by friendly staff. Just an excellent place, where old hippies in their 60s and in need of a little more comfort than teenagers can still get a bit of a gap year fix.

Room Tip: Go for the 'tree house' ones up in the eaves. I think there are a couple of them.
  • Stayed February 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank MWainwright
Brooklyn, NY
Reviewed June 11, 2011

I stayed at Luna Maya for a full month. I was finishing the edits for my first novel. The beautiful location and the friendly staff made my spirit open up so full. Every single day, I felt like I was being born again, anew. The staff was one of my favorite aspects of the trip. Before I arrived in Tulum, MX., my Spanish was not so good. By the time I left, I was speaking really well. I actually stayed in Tulum for 5 months. I had such a great experience speaking with the staff in Spanish and learning so much about this amazing little city that I couldn't leave.

I would recommend this hotel for anyone who wants to get away and feel like you are indeed away. The rooms were wonderful. I switched rooms every week, and really enjoyed the diversity of spaces that Luna Maya has to offer. The food was wonderful, and again I feel in love with the staff. If I had to put my hand on exactly what it was that made me feel so warm, I would have to say that it was the fact that I didn't feel like a tourist, I felt like a guest at someone's home.

This place is magical. Tulum, and Luna Maya both!!

• Stayed November 2010, traveled solo