Hotel Cabanas Luna Maya
$550
$499
$152
  • Beachfront
Posada Yum Kin(Tulum)(Great Value!)
$107
  • Pool
$190
$155
Travelocity
Hotel Diamante K(Tulum)(Great Value!)
$184
$153
  • Beachfront
See what travelers are saying:
FilterAll languages
Reviewed March 9, 2011

I travelled around the Riveria Maya in February this year for a break from the daily grind here in Australia. I have been to this area a few times but this is the first time I actually stayed at the Luna Maya on the beach. Previously I had stayed in the town on Tulum. I found the I really wanted to relax on the beach rather then hang about the tourist hot spots of Can Cun and Playa del Carmen as lovely as they are, they are too busy for me. I found this little gem of a hotel by word of mouth, almost a happy accident. I stayed in a simple clean double room that even though it was at the end of a road was peaceful enough. Later I moved to the upstairs Triton Suite with beautiful sea views & woke up to the beautiful dawn. All manchester that was supplied was fresh & clean as were the rooms. I lazed about in the hammock, reading and sleeping & eating to my hearts content in the restaurant, the Paella & El Fondant de Chocolate to die for, scrumptious. The staff were really attentive without being over bearing & made me feel very welcome & relaxed. I can't wait for my next holiday & certainly it will be back in Mexico & Tulum's Luna Maya with her beautiful Caribbean beaches.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled solo
2  Thank Desleighane
Reviewed March 7, 2011

We travelled to Mexico in January 2011. We have travelled several times to Mexico and always like to stay off the beaten path. This hotel was by far the most expensive place we stayed at, and was the most disappointing.

First, the rooms and building is located right near the road. That was fine, as this seems to be par for the course in Tulum. The room itself was decent, but nothing special. The room was advertised as having a fold out sofa for a third guest, but it was extremely old and battered and gross. I would not have wanted to sleep on it. That bathroom was another story - it was quite unpleasant. The toilet and sink were so old and rusted it was impossible to see if they were clean. At times, particularly after slight rain, we smelled a strong smell of sewage throughout the room. The sheets had small red round rust or blood spots on them, likely from people getting bitten by insects and staining the sheets. I was a bit worried they were signs of bed bugs, but thankfully we saw no other signs of that.

The restaurant was okay for dinner, although expensive. The "included" breakfast consisted of a piece of toast and a bit of fruit and some Nescafe. We had to order, and pay for, another a la carte breakfast each morning, as it was nowhere near filling enough to get us through a day of vacationing.

The bright spots are that the small secluded beach was pleasant. The location was also nice - not too far from town but still on the beach.

If you get one of the small, cheap rooms with a shared bath and are on a budget, you'll likely be happy. But if you're paying close to $200 a room, this one is extremely poor value for money.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled with friends
3  Thank sparklish
Reviewed February 28, 2011

My husband and I have been to Mexico several times and I have to say that this was by far the WORST place we have ever stayed. Once we arrived, after a very long day of travelling we were told they were very busy and could not find our reservation. Ok fine we wait, what felt like an eternity only to be taken to our rooms. The room was not only VERY small (compared to the pictures shown in their website) but FILTHY and SMELLY. Our main issue was that we paid our stay in advance (2 nights). We tried to say speak to the manager but she never showed up. Impossible to join her by phone. Things got worse at night because of the mosquitoes! Last but not least, the fan made a terrible noise that couldn't let us sleep. We really DO NOT recommend this place.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank TS70
Reviewed February 28, 2011

This is definetely a waste of money and a very bad choice for a relaxing holiday.
The staff is dreadful, useless and doesn't care about his customers.
The sheets are durty (blood stains) and smelly... We had to use our own towels because the ones in the room were like the rest... disgusting!
It's very expensive for the size of the room (ridiculously tiny) and the service. Seriously, avoid this place! Now we understand why they ask you to pay the full price before staying. Once you've paid, you're stuck in hell...

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 14, 2011

We (me, husband, 2 daughters, and 3 year old granddaughter) stayed 2 nights at Luna Maya. We have stayed here 3 other times, so are familiar with this place. The beach is pretty much private, and is excellent for anyone with smaller children. Very soft, clean sand. Our room was very small for 5 people, but we got by. Worst thing about our room was that it was closest to the very busy road that goes right past, and cars and trucks are speeding by until later at night. Got a bit warm at night as we had windows closed due to the traffic noise, and only a fan to circulate the air.

The restaurant serves a free breakfast to guests of coffee/tea, orange juice, some sliced fruit, and toast. It was a nice, light, way to start the day. You can also order from the menu.

Beach chairs/cushions and hammocks are available for guests, and there is a lookout deck up on top with chairs to look out over the water/beach/area.

The restaurant service is slow, but very accommodating and friendly. They are currently building a music stage area so the chainsaw and noise were kind of annoying at times during the day....but not bad. And it should be a fast project to complete. Some rooms with a small refrigerator would be a huge plus for this place.

Some of the saltiest water in the shower....but very hot water!!!!

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled with family