“Brings the outdoors indoors”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Posada Lamar

and 1 more site!
Posada Lamar
Ranked #50 of 93 Hotels in Tulum
san diego
“Brings the outdoors indoors”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 11, 2007

My friend and I consulted trip advisor to plan our accomodation, and chose Posada Lamar based on the great reviews--to which I will add--with a few small caveats:
1. There are two rooms with two double beds, one upstairs, one downstairs---we stayed in both. They were both beautiful, very clean rooms, but the downstairs had ventilation issues and needs a fan! I like to call it our 'sweat lodge'. I think part of the issue may have been the impending thunderstorm and the heavy, dense air---so it may have otherwise been okay--but my friend and i both spent half the night sweating up a storm and after finally falling asleep woke up at 6:30 a.m to two noisy children upstairs whose parents failed to remind them about their 'inside voices' . All in all it did not make for a happy night's sleep---
That aside, (and possibly a unique circumstance), I really loved the rustic feeling of the bungalows we stayed in. The upstairs was open and airy, with big slatted walls that let the breeze right in. So that was part of letting the outdoors indoors--the other part was all of the interesting little critters that were hanging out. We had an iguana living in the ceiling, a big giant bug in our shower, some really amazing looking waspy insects right outside one of the windows, and a varied assortment of other small insects. So, if you're squeamish about creatures, maybe not the place for you. But if you want a clean, tasteful, bright bungalow where you can relax on your hammock and sip in nature, this is a fantastic choice. We also really loved our host (the one who is there in the afternoon/evening, with her son) she was very helpful and kind. There's no restaurant there but several to choose from nearby as the beach is very long and you can walk the length of it to reach other bungalows-- including posada margharita virtually next door which has excellent food. We were also happy to have an easy walk up to Maya Tulum for yoga which was great. Posada Lamar is just simple, tasteful, clean and comfortable--also great location on the beach and pretty good value compared to other rooms we looked at. I would recommend it, especially if you appreciate good taste and enjoy nature.

• Liked — Clean, tasteful, natural
  • Disliked — Ventilation downstairs
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled with friends
1 Thank sdviajante

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (53)
  • Polish first
NY
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 10, 2007

We stayed in room Ambar for two unbearably hot, buggy nights last week. The room is pretty but set back from beach. Impossible to sleep -- there are no screens on the windows, and of course, no A/C. If you closed the mosquito curtain, you roasted, especially on the synthetic sheets. If you opened the curtain, you were eaten alive. Woke in middle of night to huge, hard shelled bug on my arm. I dreaded bedtime the second night...and rightly so, the mosquito curtain was COVERED in flying ants. Nightmarish. How hard is it to tack up some screens? Also, only two thin, holey towels for the four of us. The staff gave us no problem about leaving after two nights (would have been one night if Ana y Jose could have accommodated us) despite reserving for eight. If you like a little luxury -- or perhaps just some sleep -- this may not be right for you either.

Stayed July 2007
3 Thank guacgirl
Fairfax, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 26, 2007

My boyfriend and I stayed at Posada Lamar for six nights this May and did not want to leave! We stayed in the cabana named Rubi which is right on the ocean. It was beautiful. The beach is spectacular, the owners/mgmt was so curtious, and the cabana was PERFECT. You have electricity during the night hours but not during the day(which you dont need anyway). Their power all comes from solar panels. There is a great little restaurant right next door-Kin Ha, which is so laid back and has great food and drinks. All I can say is that I can't wait to return!!!

• Liked — My little cabana right on the ocean
  • Disliked — a few bugs but not many----not really any complaints
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled as a couple
7 Thank CaliforniaSarah
New york, ny
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 24, 2007

My boyfriend and I stayed at Posada Lamar in the Rubi bungalow in mid-feb. After a harrowing experience getting to Mexico from NYC (we were on one of the Jetblue flights that sat on the JFK runway for over 8 hours) the quiet and beauty of Tulum was just what we needed. I loved the design of the bungalows and although simple, they pretty much have everything you need--water, candles, matches, hot water--and they all have hammocks which was high on my list of priorities. We thought Rubi was ideal because it's completely private and standalone, and you couldn't be any closer to the beach--which is picture-perfect. Really. I still can't believe how lovely and uncrowded it was. But I do think that $150 was slightly on the pricey side. Worth it, but I still just have to say that. I would echo the other reviews in saying that you must bring a flashlight. Especially if you want to walk to dinner at any restaurant other than the immediate neighbors. You'll really be at a loss if you try to venture any further than Margherita without one. I got some mosquito bites but only from walking around at night, not from in the bungalow. It was also rather unusally cool while we were there. We asked for an extra blanket and needed a fleece or sweater to be outside at night. We found the staff very accomodating. They showed us a secluded place where we could stash the bikes we rented. Also, on our last day we checked out but our flight didn't leave until midnight. They stored our luggage, and when we came back after a day of snorkeling and hanging out on the beach, they allowed us to use their own shower and bathroom (it's in a separate building from their living quarters) to clean up before going to dinner then the airport. The also kept the bungalows quite clean. The one and only complaint I did have was that we saw and killed several large cockroaches. Not sure if other Rubi residents found this to be the case, but they seemed to be coming from the huge piece of driftwood that acted as a table of sorts in the bathroom. It is somewhat rustic living, I know, and I live in NYC and have had to deal with cockroaches and other pests plenty of times before, but I would still have preferred to not have those roaches be part of my expereince. And I want to be accurate in my description too. Oh, I guess one other slight problem was one day when there was no hot water. Because it was overall rather cool weather during our stay, it was a pretty chilly shower. But every other day the shower was pleasantly hot so no big deal. That happens in my apartment every once in a while too. Overall, I would highly recommend Lamar. It was ultra-relaxing, with a nice easygoing vibe and very nice set-up.

• Stayed February 2007, traveled as a couple
2 Thank avril41
Detroit
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 15, 2007

Posada Lamar is possibly the best place for the money in Tulum. The beach is lovely. The service is great. The rooms are gorgeous. I wouldn't go with someone I was shy with however. The bathrooms aren't very private. I highly recommend this Posada Lamar for beauty and relaxation.

• Stayed March 2007, traveled as a couple
7 Thank 1234Hel
New Jersey
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 15, 2007

I stayed at Posada Lamar for 9 nights end of Feb into March 2007. I was in the bungalow Ambar, up on the second floor above another room. I loved being up high, the breezes circulated through the windows/plantation shutters on all sides so it felt like there was a ceiling fan on all the time. Beautifully designed, it was a completely private room as well; when I climbed the steps I entered my own private little world (and I had a fabulous massage on my terrace, completely private). There are two beds in Ambar (the three rear rooms have two beds, the beachfront rooms have queen/king beds) and the price was $130/nt including taxes.

The beach is gorgeous though a bit rough as others have posted, but they always keep it very clean and swept so our section of beach was much prettier even than the neighbors at Kin-Ha and Margherita. They told me that later in the season, May, for example, the ocean calms down and things are even more peaceful. Of course, it starts to get warm then too, so it's a toss-up.

I have to echo others' comments on how helpful Myrna and Fernando are. Each took me to the San Francisco on different days so I could get money (they were going into town for their own purposes), and then when I decided to rent a car, Myrna called one or two agencies to find out how they worked. They're really wonderful people, and their son Fernando is completely adorable.

Beach towels are provided, large and plush, bath towels are fine but if you need a washcloth, bring your own. Bottled water is also provided. Plenty of hot water (so hot I had to turn it down) and decent pressure even on the second floor. Great, sturdy deadbolt lock on the door. Not that you need locks on your doors down there, but very nice to have anyway, especially traveling solo.

Two drawbacks to the room: One, there is NO clothing storage. One hook in the bathroom, one by the mirror and a couple of small tables for books and things, but nowhere for clothes. I talked to Myrna about it and she said the owner was going to add some things, and a I saw a sort of arty narrow concrete shelving unit that some of the other rooms had. A few more hooks on the wall and a long shelf is really all they'd need.

Two, the shutters are wonderful for breeze, but they are not screened. The beds have mosquito netting which is fine but a bit confining when it's warm so I pulled mine back. I didn't have any skeeters because the sea breeze was so strong until one night when the wind shifted to the land and I ended up getting bitten as I slept. Just something to consider.

Neither of these drawbacks hurt my experience. Posada Lamar is a beautiful and peaceful place run by friendly people. It's right next to Playa Kin-Ha, very convenient for drinks and meals, ditto for Posada Margherita and close enough to the little central beach area to walk to other places.

I've posted a lot more pictures and reviews from my trip (lots about food) at the Tulum Info board.

• Liked — Style, service, beach, location, peace
  • Disliked — no storage, no screens
  • Stayed March 2007
10 Thank Beachreader
philadelphia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 5, 2007

Just back from Tulum...Posada Lamar could not have been better! We had visited Akumal 12 years ago and loved it, but now it is touristy. The people at Posada Lamar and Posada del sol could not have been nicer,nor could they have made our stay any better...I would strongly suggest both locations. The beach is breathtaking, rooms were attractive and comfortable. Electricity after dusk and plenty of hot water. Great place to stay in the Yucatan!

• Liked — creative
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled with family