“SUPer”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Tulum
Yoga Adventures Worldwide
Ranked #22 of 82 Tulum B&B and Inns
London, United Kingdom
“SUPer”
Reviewed June 2, 2014 via mobile

The team at Utopia provide an amazing experience, you are welcomed like a family member and given a retreat to never forget. I just did the SUP yoga retreat and loved every second of it, everyone needs to come here and feel the joy. The house is spotless and right on the beach, the rooms are comfortable and you can't beat going to sleep at night listening to the waves crashing on the beach, the welcomed breeze through the windows and the calming environment the house provides. The food was excellent, you won't go hungry. The Yoga was intense and rewarding with a dedicated yoga instructor who was encouraging and supportive throughout the retreat. The SUP sessions were such fun in beautiful surroundings and I never wanted the sessions to end.
My 1 criticism is that the week just wasn't long enough. I left with a renewed sense of being and with a calmness in my soul. I can't wait until next year when I can come and relive the experience again!

Stayed May 2014, traveled solo

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Huntsville, Canada
Reviewed May 16, 2014

This quaint house has the quiet comfort suited for a yoga retreat. The food was exceptional and there were no problems dealing with my dietary allergies. The beach front property is located close to great restaurants and shopping and yet is tucked away from all of the hustle.

Room Tip: There is no air conditioner and no ceiling fans. Ocean breezes are the saving grace to beat the heat...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Reviewed May 12, 2014

Utopia is a beautiful place owned by a beautiful person, Christina.

I stayed here with a friend, who had extended her trip by 3 weeks as she loved it so much. However, I would have been just as enthusiastic about it had I travelled solo and I would return alone without hesitation.

I was not part of the retreat as I had booked a room only, but the ones I saw taking place were well attended and extremely well organised. They attracted fantastic yoga teachers and lovely people from all over the world, those familiar with yoga and those who were beginners. I joined some of the morning classes in the open studio overlooking the ocean -magical. The breakfasts and lunches were healthy, delicious , substantial and locally inspired - all enjoyed around a communal table.

I also enjoyed a massage arranged by Utopia in the studio. It was one of the best I have ever experienced, and I have had many! Very intuitive, deep and healing.

And the decor, well boho-chic sums it up in the most un-pretentious way. Every detail has been considered and executed flawlessly with love. Local, natural materials, soft lighting, flowing fabrics, candles, murals, flowers. Just gorgeous. There are even wicker mats, hammocks and cushions outside on the beach so that you can enjoy the perfect beach scenery in absolute comfort and in harmony with the surroundings.

The rooms vary in size each with their own personality, all comfortable and homely. I was very happy in both the rooms I stayed in and had a blissful sleep, drifting off to the sound of the waves. The shower facilities are communal, but this really isn't a problem. There was never a reason to wait and everything was always clean. Sharing in this way also adds to the intimate, homely environment so unique to Utopia.

The wifi and generators are only on at certain times during the day, which is fantastic for the atmosphere as guests are are not chained to i-phones, i-pads or skype at all times. There is, of course, time to charge devices and catch up on emails/calls but in general everyone is present and unattached from all the technology we are forced to deal with normally.

The ambience is un-intimidating, warm and open. This is testament to the Utopia team who are all friendly and good natured - always willing to help . It is also a deep reflection of the woman behind it all, Christina, who is a master organiser, interior designer, caring beyond words, so much fun and just gorgeous inside and out. She brings the most wonderful people together, making you feel like part of a family. I met an eclectic bunch of people all with big hearts and inspiring stories. A you can imagine I was very sad to leave but grateful for my stay and the friends that I made there. It is a very special place.

I look forward to the time that I return again.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
San Francisco, California
Reviewed May 8, 2014

I just returned from the SUP yoga retreat at Utopia. My experience was, on the whole, completely divine. The guesthouse itself is a hidden gem, tucked away from the road and on the beach (next to a taco stand that serves the best fish tacos I've ever tasted). The rooms are neatly appointed, with open communal space, a big kitchen table for breakfast and lunch, spotless shared bathrooms, clean beach towels, and an upstairs yoga studio that overlooks Tulum beach and the ocean.

Christina and her staff are lovely and helpful. I felt completely at home from the moment I arrived. The breakfast and lunch included was always really delicious, fresh and local. I looked forward to our meals. Rebecca Jo taught our yoga classes (two daily - one in the studio and one on the SUP boards at various nearby cenotes and lagoons), and she was a thoughtful, solid instructor - very focused on alignment, which I always find helpful.

What are you waiting for? Head to Tulum and stay at Utopia! It's paradise.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled solo
New York City, New York
Reviewed April 16, 2014

Utopia is a total gem hidden on the baby soft beach in Tulum.

I came here with the intention of only staying for a week and a half and ended up staying for close to five weeks. I initially arrived solo and then returned a week later with a friend.

Not only is it a place to vacation but it's a place to meet great people and settle into a calmer pace of life. It allows you to have the vacation you want to have, whatever that may be. If you wanted to spend time to yourself, more of an inward solo vacation, then you can do that. If you wanted to have the opportunity to meet new people, make friends, and sort of see where the vacation takes you then you can do that too.

Every morning yoga is offered along with a homemade breakfast made by an amazing local lady. The classes are taught by a variety of teachers, each with their own style but all with love. When I arrived I had a very loose relationship with yoga, but here I was able to learn a lot more even if I was in classes with experts. It's completely non-pretentious and non-intimidating yoga.

The house is decorated in a very boho chic way that automatically makes you settle into the calmer, simpler beach life that we all vacation to attain. Bathrooms and showers are shared, but due to the intimate nature it never feels that way. I personally was never one for wanting to share those things but having done it now I wonder why I ever needed one all to myself.

Being right on the beach allows you to wake up to magical sunrises and fall asleep to the calming sounds of the ocean.

Christina, the owner, is another gem of a find in Tulum. A Southerner masked as a New Yorker she moved down here 7 years ago and so is a rich source of advice of things to do, see and experience.

To me it was the perfect place to be in Tulum. Located at the best bit of the beach road, opposite Hartwood, next to a great taco stand, easy walk to all the other restaurants and bars, yet completely serene. I highly recommend Utopia as a place to stay…in case you couldn't tell yet.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
2 Thank SimeMoe
New York City, New York
Reviewed April 9, 2014

Settle in - this is a long one. I'm writing a lot about my experience because I myself was apprehensive to book initially because there weren't a ton of reviews or details available and I want to remedy that because everyone should go! All in it was a chilled out, fun, beautiful, and safe environment - at an amazing value. Frame of reference, I'm a 27yo single female traveling alone from NYC seeking relaxation, a tan, and maybe a little adventure.

I stayed 5 nights for a "Yoga + Spa Retreat" in April 2014 which included:
* Accommodations in my own private beach front room - I stayed in La Vaca which is a small but adorable single room that is airy and open - pretty much ON the beach. My only note is that I didn't sleep wonderfully every night because of the sound of roaring waves and a feeling of being slightly exposed/outside. Those factors kept me tossing and turning - however those things really should been seen as PERKS, my restlessness a symptom of my own city living lifestyle. :) Plus - it means I was able to catch the sunrise and start my day with a pre-yoga plunge in the ocean. Indoor/outdoor common areas were gorgeously appointed. Bathrooms/showers are shared which is fine by me, but if that bothers you, take note. It's ecofriendly, meaning electricity goes on around 530 and out sometime between 11-12 - but the house has these really great portable lanterns to illuminate our room if you want to stay up.
* Morning yoga & meditation and sunset yoga classes: Class from 8-9:30 and again from 4-5pm was a WONDERFUL way to bookend my days (which were spent lazing on the gorgeous beach - rough life). Coming from NYC where I frequent studios packed with literally at times 100 yoga mats, breaking down poses and spending time to really sink in along side only 4 other people was a dream. And the studio itself is BREATHTAKING - dark wood floors, a painted mandala on the wall, and railings overlooking the beach. The ocean is just meters away, the tide helping you find your breath - it just gives you chills. Plus the yoga studio is just upstairs from the rest of the house so you can drop in any time of day or night for some meditation or self practice.
* Breakfast and lunch: Healthful but amazing food cooked and served by the wonderful staff who is sensitive to your dietary restrictions and preferences (and schedule!).
* 90 minute massage & Mayan Mud ritual: Massage - Elvira is more than a massage therapist, she's a Mayan healer. She immediately zeroed in on my problem areas without even speaking. After the most thorough massage of my life, I walked away a pile of jelly. Mud - Slather yourself in local muddy clay, bake in the sun, then plunge in the ocean? It's not only just fun - I walked away with softer skin and my incest bites and sunburn soothed.

Tips & Tricks: *Taco stand / bar next door has a really chill vibe and is a great place to grab a cerveza and fish taco for a chill night 'in' - or even to loosen you up or evening practice ;). *Bring your bathing suit to see the ruins, the public beach is more crowded than the one on the strip at 'home' but there's something cool about *I booked my airport transfer separately which was more cost effective for me. *While Utopia doesn't have a restaurant/bar, if you are traveling solo don't be afraid to go rouge and post up at a bar alone, everyone ins Tulum is friendly and tranquilo - you're sure to have interesting conversation. *Bring a good flashlight for walking home after dark!!! *Mateo's roofdeck for sunset! (we did evening yoga early one day to catch it)

• Stayed April 2014, traveled solo
san francisco
Reviewed March 27, 2014

I'm a Tulum junky, so I've tried out a lot of different guest houses in the area. I felt that Utopia captured the true essence of getting away from it all. First of all the guest house is adorable. There is a really cute communal living room area decorated with hanging lanterns, a tree growing through the room, and objets d'art from around the world, with a door out onto the beach area.

Of course the beach is exquisite. Another reviewer mentioned the woven beach mats as a bad thing, but I thought they were awesome! In keeping with the environment, they are hand made, and biodegradable when the time comes, unlike the hideous plastic chairs that some hotels put out. They're perfect for propping yourself up with some pillows (which are also there with the mats) with a good book, your ipod, or maybe even a margarita!

But before I go too far into margarita-dom, the main purpose of Utopia is that they host yoga retreats. I'm not even that into yoga, but how can anyone resist an energizing morning flow in the studio that, I kid you not, overlooks the beach. You can literally see the chiseled bodies of windsurfers and paddleboarders out on the sea while you do your practice with one of the fun and friendly yoga instructors, and a nice breeze keeps the temperature super comfortable. Life changing, hellooo!

Unlike some places I have stayed, the included breakfast is amazing. This is not a cup of coffee and a piece of toast kind of place. You get a home-cooked breakfast that is full of healthy in-season fruits, eggs if you need some protein, and other Mexican specialties. Lunch is also a treat, and you can expect things like ceviche and even some Mayan delicacies like a warm pumpkin seed dip. It all seems so indulgent, but it's really healthy!

I really liked the room I stayed in and I noticed how comfy the mattress was. Falling asleep to ocean waves is the best thing ever. Or hearing the pitter patter of rain in the night. In the morning you can hear birds chirping and if you can get yourself out of the bed, the sunrises are epic, Jesus rays and all. The traditional architecture of the Yucatan is built for natural ventilation, so the rooms stay cool even in the tropical heat. I may be weird, but I like shared bathrooms, because I think it's gross to have bathrooms IN a bedroom. This is typical in Mexico to have a bathroom outside and I actually prefer it. I never had to wait to take a shower or use the toilet, plus there is a really cute vanity area to do your makeup (if you even bother, I didn't).

Yes, the generators are only on for a couple hours each evening, but it's plenty of time to recharge your iDevices and get ready for a night out, if you are planning to head out to one of the fabulous nearby restaurants. Personally, I feel good knowing that I am having a minimal impact on the environment while I am visiting. And while the generators are off, and I'm away from all my electronics, that is when I get to recharge! Pro tip: in a pinch you can charge your device at the little bar/taco stand next door. But seriously folks, this why people used to come to Tulum, to relax, to check out, to go off-grid, before the Hartwoods and Casa Jaguars and movie stars... Ok, I'm not complaining that Hartwood is RIGHT across the street, but please, do yourself a favor and turn off that iphone for 5 minutes and just enjoy being offline. Fret not my lovelies, there is still WiFi.

Ok, you know how I said I have stayed at a lot of places in Tulum? Well from now on, every time I get a chance, I'm going to stay at Utopia. (omg, I'm so looking forward to the Stand Up Paddleboard Yoga on my next trip!!!). My other reason that I want to stay here again and again, besides all that mentioned above, is that Utopia seems to attract these super hip and down to earth people, and the ladies I've met there, I know I'm going to be in touch with for years to come. The owner Christina, and all the staff, make you feel like family, so even if you're traveling alone you will never feel lonely.

I'm actually sitting here grinning a little as I remember this place in my mind's eye. Do yourself a favor, and get down there, pronto!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled solo