“You don't get what you pay for - BRING A FLASHLIGHT !!!”

Shambala Petit Hotel
Ranked #65 of 99 Hotels in Tulum
Reviewed April 23, 2013

We went for a yoga retreat in January. The location is absolutely amazing, gorgeous beach. However, this particular hotel failed on many fronts. These are the reasons:
- rooms are a joke - tiny, with no closet for clothes or luggage, no proper lighting - only tea candles in the bathroom, no bed side table or lamp. Bathroom is so small it only fits one person at the time, there is no door to the bathroom, so my partner and I had to always leave the room when the other one needed to use the bathroom. The room and the bathroom are furnished with Ikea things so go figure the quality..very poor. All your clothes are covered in sand, because you store them in your luggage on the floor. You can't drink or use the water for brushing your teeth, but they never replace your two water bottles they give you on the day you arrive.
The towels were NEVER replaced, even though I asked the stuff every day to do so. We had rodent in our room for several nights!!! It was difficult to sleep because of wild life animals crossing on the roof of our hatch every night. Staff is very nice, they don't speak english though, except for the owner - he is very arrogant guy, you can tell right away - and he is trying to mask it with all the zen talk, but it is not genuine, it is just for the show. The yoga room is nice, but they don't provide mats or props, and the room doesn't have blinds so it is very difficult to practice with the bright morning sun in your eyes.
This hotel just doesn't provide what you would expect for what you are paying. We will go back to Tulum, but definitely not to this hotel.

Room Tip: get a room without rodent in it
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
9  Thank BubinkiandBubanku

Reviewed April 22, 2013

We happened upon a yoga class given by Caroline Graham-Woods at the Shambala Petit Hotel. This has to be the most glorious studio in the world, set right on the beach, a stone's throw from the sparkling turquoise blue waters of the Caribbean. Caroline is as effervescent as the sea itself, while her spirit and light guided us through a remarkable class.

Room Tip: We did not stay there, but all the accommodations looked wonderful as did the large, well-equipped c...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed April 10, 2013

I just returned from a yoga retreat. The resort was filled with just the members of our group. The staff was so respectful and they took excellent care of us. Early morning coffee for sunrises. Fresh and remarkably wonderful food at every meal. The entire staff paid special attention to our names and our needs. Thank you to Roberto and all of his staff. Special thanks to Philippe and Rosario! Next time I come, I will be speaking Spanish..."just an hour a day", they said, and after years of saying I should learn, I have started!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed April 6, 2013

We held a Yoga and Recovery retreat for women at Shambala in late November - and I can't even begin to express the gratitude that we have for Roberto and his staff at the Shambala Petit. My retreat partner and I knew when we stepped foot on the property in February 2012 that it was the ideal spot for our first ever retreat. From the first email contact - Roberto was incredible at getting back to me with information and confirming the million details that I kept asking him about! When we arrived in November - all 21 of us - we were blown away by the attention to detail that Roberto and his staff paid to ensure that we had the space we needed to do some deep healing, relaxing and body work. The yoga studio was incredible - and fit all of us! The dining room was a bit snug for us all but we were all comfortably seated for the three heavenly meals a day provided by the chef and crew. Almost half of our guests had food issues that needed to be attended to and all of our food expectations were met. We really enjoyed having our evening sharing circle in the "living room" each evening. Everybody was comfortable in their rooms, but we didn't spend much time in them! One of the highlights of the week was a "Puja" ceremony that Roberto arranged for us at mid-week. This was a spiritual ceremony where everybody wrote a long list of things we wanted to let go of, and we walked singularly down towards the beach where Roberto greeted us and cleaned our energy field with sage before we ceremoniously "burned" our lists of things that were holding us back in life. Roberto had hired musicians, hung flags on poles, and made the entire event extremely special for us. The staff at Shambala went out of their way on a daily basis to meet our every need, I can't say enough about them. We are planning to hold another retreat at Shambala in 2014. Thank you Roberto. Besos from Dawn, Sharonlee and Taryn.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed April 5, 2013

Stayed for 4 days in march with my mother who had originally planned the trip for a yoga retreat. This place is great even if you don't do yoga!! The breakfast every morning was incredible, fresh fruit, yogurt, toast, coffee, tea. The location was perfect, right in center of small hotel strip directly n the beach. YOU CAN'T GET CLOSER TO THE BEACH THAN THIS!!!

The owner is wonderful and extremely helpful and informative, he sits with you at breakfast every morning. The other staff also all very nice and friendly.

Will definitely return, absolutely recommend.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed March 28, 2013

The only time you can cancel your reservation are in the months of: June, July, September, October. For the rest of the year, forget it. I made a reservation in early February for a stay in May; but we decided to cancel our trip to Mexico due to security concerns. I requested the cancellation 90 days in advance. Not only did I get rude emails from Robert, I could not even get refunded because of their outrageous cancellation policy. Like others have mentioned, the customer service is non-existent. They did not provide solid information on future credit, nor offered any kind type of compensation. Basically, they've taken our money, and will make additional money for the new reservations -- how clever is this scheme! I will NEVER recommend this place to anyone because it leaves such a NEGATIVE impression on the type of people that runs this hotel. So, buyers beware.

Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
11  Thank acimeow
Reviewed March 28, 2013

I recently stayed at this beautiful place for a 10 day yoga retreat. I cannot say enough about the lengths the staff went to to make us feel comfortable and at home. I was the only vegetarian on the trip and each meal, the beautiful kitchen staff made me a special and fab dish! I could not have been happier. Roberto the owner, Rosario and Felipe, all the gals who serve, clean and take care of us...all were amazing. I feel like they are family. The accomodations are all so beautiful and clean, each hut is a little different than the next but all so sweet. The yoga studio is perfect, with ocean breezes to make your practice as good as it can possibly be. Other than the most beautiful beach I think I have ever been to, you must come here to recieve the worlds best massage from Marco! I will be back again in 2 years, and look so forward to it.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends