Shambala Petit Hotel
$392
Zamas(Tulum)
$164
$641
All reviewsyoga roomyoga retreatbreakfast roomfrench press coffeetable sharingtreehouse roomyogurtsmall paradisebody and soulamazing yogalittle slice of heavenmagical placequaint hotelnight guardan amazing beachwhite fisheco resort
Reviewed March 28, 2013

The only time you can cancel your reservation are in the months of: June, July, September, October. For the rest of the year, forget it. I made a reservation in early February for a stay in May; but we decided to cancel our trip to Mexico due to security concerns. I requested the cancellation 90 days in advance. Not only did I get rude emails from Robert, I could not even get refunded because of their outrageous cancellation policy. Like others have mentioned, the customer service is non-existent. They did not provide solid information on future credit, nor offered any kind type of compensation. Basically, they've taken our money, and will make additional money for the new reservations -- how clever is this scheme! I will NEVER recommend this place to anyone because it leaves such a NEGATIVE impression on the type of people that runs this hotel. So, buyers beware.

Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
11  Thank acimeow
Reviewed March 28, 2013

I recently stayed at this beautiful place for a 10 day yoga retreat. I cannot say enough about the lengths the staff went to to make us feel comfortable and at home. I was the only vegetarian on the trip and each meal, the beautiful kitchen staff made me a special and fab dish! I could not have been happier. Roberto the owner, Rosario and Felipe, all the gals who serve, clean and take care of us...all were amazing. I feel like they are family. The accomodations are all so beautiful and clean, each hut is a little different than the next but all so sweet. The yoga studio is perfect, with ocean breezes to make your practice as good as it can possibly be. Other than the most beautiful beach I think I have ever been to, you must come here to recieve the worlds best massage from Marco! I will be back again in 2 years, and look so forward to it.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed March 24, 2013

My friend and I stayed here for a couple of nights. The hotel rooms were generously proportioned and very clean. There was some nice attention to detail including a birthday cake for my birthday! I felt it was very good value for money and the boudtha area was a good one to stay in.

• Stayed: March 2013
1  Thank veehopkins
Reviewed March 17, 2013

I stayed at Shambala as part of a yoga retreat. We arrived at night and when I woke early the next morning to the sounds of the ocean I couldnt believe the beauty of the place. Walking barefoot on the long, quiet stretch of beach and curling up with a good book on the comfortable beach chairs was amazing. The staff were always friendly, smiling and helpful and the food was incredible. Each meal was prepared and presented with great care and attention to every detail and individual dietary requests. You couldnt ask for a more beautiful yoga room right on the beach.
A few thoughts and suggestions: bring a flashlight or headlamp if you want to read at night (as others have mentioned the light in the room is not sufficient for reading), bring bug spray, don't bring a hair dryer (there's no electricity in the room for it). If you're the type that enjoys just putting your hair up, living barefoot and taking in the beauty of your surrounding you'll love this spot.
And as other reviewers have mentioned don't miss having a massage with Marco early on in your stay. You'll be glad you did and will want to book a second one!
I'm looking forward to returning next year!

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed March 12, 2013

I was overall quite pleased with Shambala despite its 'quirks' and drawbacks as stated by other reviewers . It has a certain radiant energy to it, and as long as you expect it to be very basic and bare bones accomodations, you will likely be satisfied.

The pros:
- beautiful beach & comfy beach lounges
- amazingly beautiful yoga room
- open and airy hotel layout and rooms....uncluttered compared to other places in Tulum...
- room/bedding was clean & minimally tidied each day (expect sand all over. the beach is right out your door)
- surprisingly good wifi

***MARCO the masseuse/ healer! ***Regardless of where you stay in Tulum YOU MUST go see him. He helped me heal deeply in the two sessions I had with him and i would seriously fly back to Tulum JUST TO SEE MARCO! There are no words to describe the intensity and energy of his sessions. Simply mindblowing and unparalleled.

Cons: (i took a star off for each of these)
- rates are a little high for what you receive (tiny rooms, no electricity in rooms, uncomfortable beds/pillows)

- The owner's energy. He seems to be all smiles but really is not... The attitude i received when asking for very basic things was quite off-putting as was his treatment of his staff.

Example: They provide tea lights for night time which burn out in about an hour. ( If you want to read in bed at night bring a flashlight) They're not enough light to read from and they dont give you more each day.... so when they burn out you have to go ask for more. Each time I knocked on his door Roberto made me feel like I was being a diva for wanting to read in bed and was severely inconveniencing him... same as when i had problems connecting to their wifi.

.... this didnt bother me quite as much as how condescending he was towards his help. Apparently he didnt realize that I am fluent in spanish when he decided to talk down to his employees in a truly appalling fashion within earshot of the dining table... and again to his masseuse right outside my room.

To clarify, this was not him being a boss and telling them what to do... it was him treating them like crap.

The energy in the yoga room is wonderful and magical, as is the energy of all of Tulum... but to hear/see this from the owner of the hotel and know that i was supporting it by paying for it really did not make me feel good.

Overall, its a nice Tulum spot... just dont be expecting luxe accommodations and maybe bring a flashlight and your own pillow.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends