“Fantastic beach, honest management”

Hotel Cabanas Tulum
Ranked #12 of 99 Hotels in Tulum
Reviewed February 13, 2011

We stayed at Cabanas Tulum early February 2011. My mother travelled from Turkey so I wanted to show her the beautiful Caribbean coastline of Mexico. I read the reviews about Cabanas Tulum and they were fairly positive in general. However, there was no beachfront rooms available and what was available in the second row cabanas was downstairs. I was disappointed and kept asking questions about noise, view, breeze of a secondrow room. The lady who makes the reservations in Playa del Carmen, Anna, was very patient and quick in answering my questions. She also told me that other people were inquiring about availability and that I should make my mind up. So, I went ahead with the reservation a little hesitantly because I wasn't sure how the room would be. Well, when we got there, I saw that all my worries were needless. The room and the beach were almost exactly the same as Anna had described to me in her emails. Thanks for your honesty Anna! Yes, you get a pretty good view of the sea and the nice breeze even from the second row rooms. There is 24 hours electricity, and fan on the ceiling. The AC works from 7 pm to 7 am. Honestly, we did not even use it once as it was never too hot during our stay though I am thinking we would have used it if we were there in the rainy and hot season (May through November). All rooms have porches with a coffee table, chairs and hammock. The staff is friendly and helpful. There is a laptop available for use with wireless connection in the front desk area. The restaurant El Bistro is not bad. You get a 25% discount on your first meal. Otherwise, I found the prices expensive for what you get. However, this is true for most of the places along the beach in Tulum. Don't be suprised if you end up paying less if you take a taxi to Tulum pueblo, eat at a restaurant or shop for groceris at the San Francisco supermarket and come back by taxi compared to eating at a restaurant around Cabanas Tulum! The breakfast is included and it is pretty good with a diverse choice of Mexican and American/Canadian foods. You also get 2 drinks free deal which is wonderful. Most of the juices are fresh. Try limon y menta, saludable, and mix of several fruits. The only problem which I mentioned to the management is the speed of service. We had four breakfasts at different hours and it took an hour on average to get served and be done with eating which is not a very pleasant thing to be sitting there and waiting for your food to arrive. Our observation is that the kitchen is slow in preparing the food because the waiters were running around most of the time and serving people but there were times when they just had to wait for the food to be prepared by the kitchen. Hopefully, they will fix this problem. The greatest thing about Cabanas Tulum is of course its breathtaking beach. It is wide and long with coconut trees dispersed around. They provide chairs, beds and towels. There are two hammocks attached to the coconut trees which I really enjoyed using with the everpresent balmy breeze. The sea in Tulum is generally not very calm, it is not good for swimming but you can enjoy playing with the waves. If you are lucky, you might find relatively tranquil waters in very early morning hours but this is not a pattern I noticed. And if you are going to Tulum for the first time, please keep in mind that it is not a destination known for its nightlife. It is the opposite. People come here for a quiet, relaxing vacation to be on the beach, to hear the sound of the waves, to feel the balmy breeze and to experience the undeveloped, natural setting of the coast there. And yes, be prepared to pay more than other parts of Mexico. It is expensive but is probably worth it in my opinion. I could have stayed in Tulum pueblo at half the price but it just wouldn't feel the same. Regarding the construction noise. Yes, they are building down a building and will construct a new hotel. To be honest, I didn't hear it very much. The only time I heard it was when we had breakfast on the beach. One reason might be the sound of the waves dominating over it. I am not sure. Personally, for us, it was not an issue. Overall, I am pleased with my stay at Cabanas Tulum and I wouldn't hesitate the stay there again or recommend it to my friends.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled with family
3  Thank Kemalim

Reviewed February 8, 2011

This place has probably one of the nicest stretches of beach in all of Tulum and the food at El Bistro is good. The rooms are pretty basic. We had two queen size beds on the second floor (cabana #31) which was fine, we still had a great view of the water and saved over $50 a night not being right on the beach. In fact, I think our cabana had more privacy then the ones on the beach. We had a nice porch but the room only has one outlet in it so I bought a extension cord from the local supermarket in town so we could listen to our iPod and speakers on the porch for some pre-dinner cocktails. The one thing that bothered me is the construction going on at the place while they are building a new part of the hotel and pool. In their defense I didn't ask in advance if they had any construction going on at the hotel and I wish I did because this definitely would have weighed on my decision to stay there. I found it a little little difficult to relax with all the clanking, pounding, and drilling going on. The hotel said the construction is supposed to last three months. I would recommend going there in May 2011 when all the construction is over. Definitely call beforehand. Because of the construction during my stay I am giving this place a 2, without construction I would give it a 4.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple
4  Thank ABar1024
Reviewed February 4, 2011

Just spent 9 days at Cabanas Tulum and selected this hotel due to location and previous reviews. Location: on the beach, within walking distance of other beach-front restaurants and short taxi cab ride to town and other sites, and hotel has bicycles for use for free and distance is not too far to town or Tulum Maayan ruins for bike ride. Can swim right off the beach, while we were there ocean kinda rough due to weather, beach is powder like white sand, walk out the door of your room and within 50 yards you are in the ocean - great! Rooms: Stayed in both a king directly beach-front and a two queen room just off beach-front. Both rooms clean and showers etc. all functional. Rooms are small and sparse; have A/C, electricity and are without TV / radio. Able to use wireless without a problem during the whole time directly from the room. They are building a new hotel nestled in this complex which apparently will have upgraded rooms, etc. and will open later in the Spring. Staying there with construction was not an issue for us as it is pretty well secluded from beach, etc. Food: Ate often at the Bistro, located at the hotel on the beach. 2x1 drinks all day and every meal we had was very good. Staff quick to make revisions to the menu based on our requests. Food and beverage service is provided on the beach at tables or at your lounger. We also ate at Cetli one night in town, was excellent! Service: This was the best part of our stay, everything we asked for was responded to very quickly and completely...everything! We travel often in the winter to the Caribbean, all inclusive - 5 star hotels, and this hotel had by far the best service of any we have been at in 11 years. Friendly, prompt and with follow-up to be sure we got our needs met. Excellent! Other: Would recommend a flashlight as if you choose to walk at night in this area, you will need it. We were out in the evening and had no problems in town or on the beach front. Go early in the AM to the Maayan ruins, they are close by and packed with tourists by 10AM latest. All in all, one of our best vacations and we will return to Cabanas Tulum next year!

Reviewed February 1, 2011

My spouse and I really needed a good getaway and this was possibly the best spot on Earth to do this. From the moment we stepped out of the van from the airport we were treated nothing short of royalty.
We stayed at Cabanas Tulum last January after spending a few days in Las Vegas and deciding to head to some relaxing sun of Tulum in our vacation. We chose Cabanas Tulum mainly because it have the most amazing beach in Tulum and we wanted to go there and relax.
I won't go in to too much detail here, suffice it to say the the staff were the best of any hotel I have stayed in the world. Service was exemplary, nothing was too big a deal, up scale simplicity lets call it, food was delicious, seriously amazing service and never a hand out expecting a tip.
I have read other reviews about this hotel being pricey...They are correct...but that is not something you shouldn’t expect when staying at one of the nicest hotels in Tulum, You get what you pay for and you should expect that going in.

One nice thing is that i was always surprised with little "free" bonuses such as afternoon watermelon free snacks by the beach or the immaculate cleanness of my room always accompany with a new hand made animal figure with my towels, Lina all the time smiling and asking how to help us have a excellent time in paradise, Its the little things like and the staff excellent service that help separate Cabanas Tulum from the others hotels in Tulum.

All in all, as a very picky traveler who has experienced all of best hotels and resort in the world, anytime anyone now asks me about where to stay in Tulum and live a simple fantastic life Cabanas Tulum is number 1 on my list!

1  Thank canada081
Reviewed January 27, 2011

Recently renovated old favorite. Nicely upgraded rooms, new fixtures in the bathroom. Step right out of the room and onto the beach, the location can't be beat. Only a small proportion of the rooms are currently open, due to ongoing renovation and construction. We stayed at far end, away from the restaurant and it was very quiet and peaceful. Super friendly staff and excellent service.

We stayed for years at the old Cabanas Tulum and are still returning year after year.

Reviewed January 27, 2011

Pro:
Clean rooms without insects.
Beutiful clean beach right in front of the first row cabanas
Clean

Cons
Basic standard
Could use new towels and bed covers
People can look directly in to the first row cabanas from the beach.
A ten minutes walk to a selection of resteaurants
Poor value, but I guess all hotels in the area are overpriced

• Stayed: January 2011
Reviewed January 27, 2011

My husband and I just returned from Cabanas Tulum and it was wonderful. The beach was perfect, the rooms clean and comfortable, and the food delicious. The Cabanas staff are also very friendly and helpful. The complimentary breakfast and two for one drink specials helped us keep the food costs down (eating along the strip of beach hotels is a bit pricey. Go into Tulum or try Mateo's for fish tacos.) As others have said, the beds are pretty firm, but you'll live. Other than the bed, the only comment we had was that their bikes could use a tune-up. Still, the bike ride to the ruins was awesome. Pack your swimsuit and have a picnic there. If we go to Tulum again, I'd rent a car so that we could see more of Mexico, but if you're going there to sit on the beach, you really don't need a car. We used a shuttle service from the airport (USA Transfers, who were great btw.) and there are taxis ($4 or $5) that can take you into town.

There is some construction going on at Cabanas at the moment (nothing intrusive) and I hope once they're done with all the renovations we can still afford to stay here because it was a truly lovely place.