“lovely staff, pity about the rooms”
Review of Cabanas Tulum

Cabanas Tulum
Ranked #14 of 95 Hotels in Tulum
Cape Town Central, South Africa
“lovely staff, pity about the rooms”
Reviewed May 5, 2014

We stayed at Cabanas Tulum recently and the staff were really helpful and welcoming. However, having stayed a many hotels that cater specifically for families, we were surprised that the rooms were not larger and more comfortable. There is not a stick of furniture in the rooms other than the beds - no bedside lights, no table, no chairs - all extremely spartan, it felt like a monks cell! The property is tiny with the rooms really squeezed in. We were in the back row so we didn't feel we were anywhere near the beach.

On the upside, the hotel was really clean, the beach is beautiful, and Ziggys next door where you go for breakfast next door is great.

Room Tip: Try to book a beach front room.
4 Thank lucy w
Tulum_TB_CT, Public Relations Manager at Cabanas Tulum, responded to this review, May 6, 2014
Dear guests,

Thank you for your comment and nice feedback about our staff.
We are sorry you could not fully enjoy our revamped rooms and amplified bathrooms.
Our guest usually like the design of the rooms which shall emphasize the color of the blue Caribbean sea and the white sandy beaches which are only a few footsteps away from the rooms and which make up the room panorama.
We also wanted to take this opportunity to clarify that Cabañas Tulum is not a Hotel which caters specifically for families with children. We are of course a child friendly property, as of policies children under 5 years do not pay all around the year, in comparison to many other Hotels along Tulum's Beach line which are Adults only.

Thank you and we hope we could clarify this misunderstanding.

Your Cabañas Tulum Team!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (262)
Halifax, Canada
Reviewed May 4, 2014 via mobile

Stayed at Cabanas Tulum for 3 nights, had an excellent stay. The staff were super friendly and helpful. The rooms were neat and tidy comfy beds. Loved the rainfall shower head in the bathroom. The beach was excellent. Would return again :)

• Stayed April 2014
1 Thank Lindsei
Dear Guest,

We thank you for your nice comment about our staff and Hotel and are very happy that you and your nice enjoyed your stay at Cabañas Tulum so much.
We hope to be able to welcome you back in then near future.

Brooklyn, New York
Reviewed May 2, 2014

I am 63 years old and have traveled to many places around the world, and Cabanas Tulum is one of my all-time favorites. Of course the beach is perfectly gorgeous and relaxing, but the hotel is excellent. There are only 16 rooms, so the scale is intimate, and the rooms are very simple and clean. White prevails, and there are no kitchy decorations, no corny nautical themes or attempts to look like a grass hut.
The service is impeccable, and our concierges, Aubrey, Adriana, and Cithlaly, were charming, lovely, and very helpful.
Ziggy's Beach is the restaurant shared by their sister property, Beach Tulum, (an adults only hotel), and the staff there was excellent as well. Breakfast and lunch were very good, but the dinner menu appeared to be ambitious and complicated. We only had appetizers at dinner, so I can't comment on the whole dinner experience.
We were there with our 3.5 year old son, and my experiences taking him into ocean waves for the first time and having him swim on his own in the pool, also for the first time, are among the happiest moments of my life.
We would love to return, and we wish everyone well.

2 Thank John F
Dear Guests,

On behalf of the whole team "Thank You" for your nice feedback.
It makes us very proud to know that you had such a good time and especially appreciated the kindness and friendliness of our staff. We hope to see you again in the near future.
Take care!

Muchas gracias

Santiago, Chile
Reviewed May 2, 2014

My family and I stayed in Cabañas Tulum in the high season of February. We were unable to get a reservation for an entire week (and that was booking early in the previous November) so we stayed four nights here and four nights at another place.

Our standard room was on the second floor. We were at the far end and it felt private. There were wobbly "Lincoln Log" type stairs going up to it, so keep that in mind if you are traveling with smaller children (and also the high balcony). We only used the AC once in the entire week (my husband likes AC, too, so I was surprised that we really didn't need it). The ocean breezes kept our room fresh, and we were in the second line of rooms. That being said, the bathroom got very humid and wet, and that is where the mosquitos tended to gather. Perhaps some sort of ceiling fan for in there would help (or a trap). We opened the bathroom windows to dry the area out, but since we were in close proximity of other rooms´ bathroom windows, we preferred to keep the bathroom windows closed. The beds were comfortable. The floor is solid poured concrete, so there again, if you are traveling with small children, keep that in mind. It was very peaceful at night and we rested well. A few times, we heard music from the neighboring Ana y Jose pool, but it wasn't that bad.

I liked breakfast at Ziggy´s despite the mildly to very slow service (we were on vacation, what was the rush?). We had a choice of fresh juices, coffee, and an item from the menu. There were great eggs and breakfast burritos. The following hotel we stayed at was more luxurious, but the breakfast was the same fruit plate each day, and we quickly missed the variety of Ziggy´s.

The beach is so peaceful and lovely. In my opinion, it is the nicest stretch on all of Tulum. There are shady trees, open areas, and the unforgettable swing set that we all enjoyed.

The staff is super friendly and helpful. We got assistance with renting a car, where to eat, and best times of day to visit certain tourist sites. They seemed genuinely happy and welcoming. My daughter loved the daily towel origami. We will definitely return and I would recommend to others.

Room Tip: Front premium cabañas are right on the beach, but we had to walk directly in front of those terraces...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
Dear Guests,

On behalf of the whole Team, we thank you for your nice review and for being our guests. We are really happy to read that you had such a pleasurable time at Cabañas Tulum and are looking forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Best wishes and muchas gracias!

Your CabañasTulum Team
Lima, Peru
Reviewed April 28, 2014

We stayed at Cabañas Tulum for a week enjoying a very good time, the service, the place and rooms were perfect for us.
A quiet and clean space that allows you to have a great time.
The people is very kind and the beach is fabulous.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Tulum_TB_CT, Public Relations Manager at Cabanas Tulum, responded to this review, May 1, 2014
Dear guests,

Thank you for having chosen Cabañas Tulum for your beach Vacation in Tulum.
The whole staff is grateful and happy that you had such a nice time with us.
Thank you again and we are looking forward to your next visit.

Gracias

Flagstaff, AZ
Reviewed April 27, 2014

I cannot tell you how many hours I spent on the Internet researching hotels along Tulum's beach road trying to decide which one would be best for us. Thanks to a few folks in the Tulum forum, we decided on Cabanas Tulum and really couldn't have asked for anything better. Many of the hotels are marketed to be "hip" or for yoga, and I didn't want any of that. I just wanted a place with a central location (as the north past of the beach road is quite busy and the south end is a little desolate and not as easy to get cabs), a clean beachfront room with power during the day to run a fan and A/C at night, a pool, a good stretch of beach,and great customer service. We got all of that and more at Cabanas. The first surprise was how long the beach is - I knew Cabanas and The Beach were owned by the same people and were right next to each other, but I didn't realize just how long the stretch of beach was (including Ziggy's). I was concerned that the beach would be busy during Holy Week (the week leading up to Easter), but my fears were completely unfounded because only the area immediately in front of Ziggy's is for the public, the rest is for guests only. There was never a moment when the beach seemed even a little busy nor would we not have been able to get lounge chairs any time we wanted them.

The women who work at the front desk are welcoming and will spend unlimited time answering questions and helping you make the best choices for activities and restaurants, etc. I'm sure this high level of customer service (which is also apparent at the restaurant, Ziggy's) is the reason Cabanas rates so highly. A note of clarification: many reviewers here talk about deluxe and superior rooms with tubs on a roof deck and room with three-digit numbers - that is at The Beach, not Cabanas. I found this very confusing when trying to figure out which type of room to book. Cabanas has either beachfront or partial sea view rooms. The only downside about staying in Room 23 (a beachfront room) is that it has a door to the adjoining room. When we were there, there was a family with a maybe 6 year old boy who was waking up at 5:30 am and bouncing a beach ball on the floor over and over, which could be heard plainly in our room. Had the door not been there, I don't know how much we would've heard, because they were our only neighbors that we shared a wall with (the beachfront buildings have two rooms each). For this reason, I would recommend asking for a room that does not have the option of adjoining the room next door. Also, we didn't have a piece of furniture in our room as I noticed most other rooms had (I saw some with shelves where that adjoining door was in our room and some with a sofa table on the wall opposite the bed). Not a big deal - we used the shelving in the closet and the bench/side table to keep stuff that we wanted out of our suitcases (I'm not a big un-packer anyway). The bathrooms are super-cool (as you can see in the photos).

The pool is nothing special, but it is new and I was glad to have it to take a quick dunk to cool down after breakfast or whenever I was hot but didn't feel like going all the way down to the ocean (not that it's far or anything!). The A/C units are also new and are not loud - you can still hear the ocean waves. A trick we figured out to get the room as cool as possible at night when using the A/C was to not only close all the windows/door, but to close the door to the bathroom. These rooms are not air-tight when closed up (not a complaint or a problem IMO) so closing the bathroom door stopped air flowing from front to back and allowed to A/C to be more effective. The hot water was spotty and unreliable. I never bothered to let the front desk know, because it didn't bother me that much, but I think it deserves mentioning because this may have the potential to ruin things for some people. I'm usually pretty picky when it comes to stuff like that, but I didn't really miss the hot water when it wasn't there b/c I was so darn hot most of the time! The bed was a little on the soft side for me, but seemed to be newer - I like firmer beds, so I'm really splitting hairs here.

Other benefits of staying at Cabanas: there is no generator noise, the parking lot is spacious and on the beach side with the hotel, it is close to the bike rental at Playa Azul, there are safes in the rooms, they take credit cards as payment, and the included breakfasts. Ziggy's has nice-sized breakfasts and you are also allowed one hot and one cold beverage with your meal. This is about a $50- value for two people and is probably one of the best breakfast-included deals there is in Tulum. It was so nice to get up whenever we wanted and wander over to Ziggy's for breakfast on the beach (which they serve until noon!).

My first experience in Tulum staying at Cabanas Tulum was excellent and if I were ever to return, I'd likely stay here again.

Room Tip: Beachfront rooms all have their own little path directly to the beach! The only downside about stayi...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
4 Thank jazzyjenflag
Dear guests,

Thank you so much for your feedback and for your beautiful and thorough description of our Beach Hotel and staff. It was our pleasure having you as our guests and hopefully see you again in the near future.

Gracias

Cambridge, Massachusetts
Reviewed April 27, 2014

We (hubby and 11 yo niece) stayed at Tulum Cabanas for 5 nights recently. Beach is fabulous and right outside the door. Hammocks were put to good use. Staff could not be more delightful and helpful. They were great with niece also. Ziggy's breakfast good, dinner OK. Shout out to Aubrey, Adriana, Candy and Alfredo for their kindnesses. One suggestion--a picture or two in the cabanas.

Room Tip: Beachfront rooms are worth it.
Dear Guest,

We hope to be able to welcome you back in then near future and show you more of our warm Mexican hospitality.

Thank you and gracias!