“Exceptional”

Ranked #12 of 96 Hotels in Tulum
Atlanta, Georgia
“Exceptional”
Reviewed February 19, 2014

Great view, great service, great people! Highly recommended!

The cabana was perfect size and had a beautiful sunrise view. Steps from the beach which had beach chairs and beds. A/C runs from 7:30 pm to 7:30 am. The breeze makes it comfortable all throughout the day. Perfect!

Food was excellent and decently priced. Happy hour from 4-6pm is highly recommended with one of the best bartenders NERY!

The people and service is unmatched. If you have a request, they will do their absolute best to accommodate. Everyone is always smiling and they always make you feel at home.

Highly recommended and will be back as much as possible.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
ctulum, Public Relations Manager at Cabanas Tulum, responded to this review, February 21, 2014
Dear guests,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write a review about your recent stay at Cabañas Tulum. It was our pleasure having you as our guests and we take pride in reading that our staff and service met your expectations.
We hope to welcome you back in the near future and show you more of our Mexican hospitality. Muchas Gracias

Best regards,

Your Cabañas Tulum Team

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (264)
Oyster Bay, New York
Reviewed February 18, 2014

I wanted to love this place SO badly. I had booked this hotel after reading Trip Advisor reviews and had been looking forward to it for months. I had to convince my boyfriend that $300+ a night after taxes was a steal for such an adorable beachfront cabana, just steps from the beach. I understood fully what I was going into. No TV, no phone, no wifi unless in designated common areas…I knew all of this and was excited for it. It wasn’t until I got there that I realized just how many other comparable places were in Tulum just a few steps away, and I began to realize just how overpriced it all was. I’ll break down my experience so you can understand my disappointment:

Check in: We had booked a beach front cabana (#24) for three nights. They had let me know weeks before arrival that the only room they had available was one with two queen beds instead of one king. That was fine with us, but knowing that we had this extra space and that we were spending over $900 for three nights, we invited our friends along for the adventure. Once we arrived, we let them know that we had two extra guests staying with us in the two queen bed room. Understandably although somewhat disappointingly (since this doesn’t make much sense, considering the room for 4 is all that they had available for us and there are not many amenities that I can come up with that cost the price of the extra guests) they told us there was an extra charge per person, per night. The extra charge was $41 per person. That came out to an additional $246 added onto our $900+ bill.

Accomodations: The room is cute, with a nice spa feel to it. The shower is completely exposed and we were missing a shower curtain, so any time we showered we would get the toilet all wet! The water pressure was very weak, and it was difficult to get hot water. The glass doors at the room entrance were the only one that locked and our screen doors were not fit for the door frame, so there was always a big gap letting bugs in.

Breakfast: You go to the front desk to get your breakfast tickets, and the breakfast really is delicious. I like that restaurant a lot. The OJ was so good. They are incredibly slow, so you have to dedicate at least an hour to breakfast. They serve you toast with honey and jam, but they have a SERIOUS bee problem! If you are allergic to bees you need to stay away from this place. Every morning it was the most stressful breakfast ever, having dozens of bees swarming around me as I tried to eat. They would be on top of my toast while I went to take a bite! It was terrible. In one breakfast alone my friend was stung in the leg and the bartender was stung in the hand. It’s not the hotels fault but it’s definitely something to consider.

Walk to the beach; The beach is nice, but the little pathway from our cabana to the beach had a lot of these hidden spikes underneath the sand that would literally stab you in the foot if you didn’t tread lightly. They’re thick like broomsticks and SO sharp. My boyfriend stepped on one and drew blood. They are a liability and I think the management needs to take measures to make this safer!

Staff; The front desk is very nice and courteous, they seem really passionate about the place they work at. I loved that. They were so sweet and always smiling. The only downside is that there didn’t seem to be much knowledge about the area. I wanted to visit the ruins and they told me it closed at 5pm. It was 4:30 so I said it’s probably a bad time to go and she said that as long as we went before 5 it was the perfect time and they will not kick you out once you’re in. We went all the way to the ruins, getting there at 4:50, but the signs all say that they close at 4:30. They were actually kicking everyone out already. It was ok since we went the next day, but it could have definitely saved us the time and the trip if we had gotten the right information from the front desk.

Day Trip: Ugh. My biggest gripe about the trip. My friends wanted to go snorkeling, so we had asked the front desk the day before our intended trip (our last day) to help us plan a trip. They tried to reach out to people but did not get an answer, so in the morning around 8:30 I went back and asked again. She called a guy who could pick us up on a free shuttle at 10am, it would be $45 per person, he would take us on a boat and we would go snorkeling. We arrived in the lobby around 5 to 10, greeted by a taxi. I made the front desk confirm that this taxi was free, because we had a rental car and did not need the added expense when we would be happy to drive. She confirmed it was our shuttle. He took us about 15 minutes away to Playa del Carmen, where we were greeted by a nice guy at around 10:15 telling us the boat had left and that it would be back around 12 or 12:15. He suggested we go to the cenote across the street, except that it was independent and not included in our rate. Since it was only 25 pesos, we went there to kill time, then arrived back at the beach and killed as much time as we could. No boat in site around 12:15, and wanting to get back to our hotel in time to visit the ruins, we debated just going back. This is after we left a $5 “deposit” (obviously the hotel's kickback) at the front desk per person, the snorkel guy told us it would be “another 15 minutes or so”…and so we decided to leave and head back to the hotel, disappointed, after waiting for over two hours for nothing. We tried to get a cab but they were awkward about it, they made us wait 15 minutes outside for the cab that they called for us instead of just getting into one on our own. I soon realized we were waiting for the same cab that took us there. Before he arrived I got into a different cab and he quoted me 200 pesos to go to Tulum. When the cab they called for us arrived, he quoted us 600 pesos for the “round trip”…this comes out to roughly $50 USD, which made my boyfriend furious. The front desk staff had arranged for us to be picked up and shuttled to a place, only to spend our last day waiting around for 2+ hours, and then charged us $50 for the transportation (when we had our own rental car!)…we spoke to the manager on our return and he said he’d pay for half of the cab, 300 pesos. But my boyfriend was insistent on not having to pay a dollar, and he was right. They tried to withhold the $20 we had left at the counter, but we ended up collecting it at checkout. I feel bad that we created such a hassle, and the disorganization was not necessarily the fault of our hotel, but it truly was not our fault that they could not coordinate a simple day trip for four guests.

When I break down all of the cons it really does sound like I had a bad time, but the view is unbeatable, Tulum itself is so wonderful with so much to explore, and Ziggy’s is delicious (albeit a bit overpriced, dinner for 4 was about $150)…I would love to return to Tulum again but I am not certain I would recommend this place to my friends. There are SO many other options that are significantly cheaper for the same experience.

6 Thank Jenn M
Dear guests,

Our staff and management are sorry to read you didn't enjoy your stay at Cabañas Tulum.
You stayed in one of our revamped Beach front rooms and were given the correct information about room type and rates prior to arrival. We are sorry to read how upset you felt to pay an additional charge per person - as stated on our web page and booking information, all rates are in double occupancy and the extra person charge is mentioned.
We are also sorry you did not express any of your cons during the three days you stayed with us. We are certain we could have helped you solving the water pressure situation and could have arranged for your breakfast on your Beach front terrace or we could have given you some simple tips about Tulum’s nature and wild life such as the dune plants and bees. Bees in particular are present in the region and they travel up to a mile from their nests - it would be impossible for us to know where they come from. Also, honey is a top product in our region, produced by many Maya communities.

We want to apologize for the unhappy snorkeling trip you experienced; unfortunately, the two snorkel companies we usually recommend and work with were fully booked for the following day. Our front desk staff tried to accommodate your last minute request by recommending you a service we could not guarantee for, so please accept our apologies. We are not going to recommend them again in the future.

Although we could not fulfill your expectations this time, excellent standard and service remain paramount to us so we will keep on working hard to achieve both. We are happy you appreciated the passion our staff puts into their job, we'll be sure to pass this on to them!

Your Cabanas Tulum Team
New York City, New York
Reviewed February 13, 2014

We loved this place....Very warm welcome, hospitable and laid back, a few minutes from the Tulum ruins. Perfect beachfront and friendly, helpful staff. Simple rooms nicer than much more expensive resorts. Highly recommend...hope to go back! Not ideal if you want a big swimming pool but we did not miss that at all. Ocean right in front of our room.

Room Tip: get a beach front room
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank Amy F
ctulum, Public Relations Manager at Cabanas Tulum, responded to this review, February 14, 2014
Dear guest,

Thank you for choosing Cabañas Tulum for your Beach vacation in Tulum.
We are enthusiastic and happy to read what lovely time you had at our resort.
We hope to have the pleasure to welcome you back in the near future.

Best wishes,

New Orleans, Louisiana
Reviewed February 13, 2014

Came here for our honeymoon and had an amazing experience. We loved our partial sea view room - it felt more private than the beach front rooms. Our room was simple, but the bathroom was beautiful, I felt like I was in a spa.

Ziggy's is awesome, the breakfast includes not just an entree, but you can also get a latte and a fresh juice included as well!

The location is awesome, lots of restaurants within walking distance. Also, the staff is really helpful. Everyone is so nice. We were even surprised with a bottle of Champagne and flower petals, all complimentary! I will definitely stay here the next time too, because it's such a good value, the location is exceptional, and the staff is awesome.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
ctulum, Front Office Manager at Cabanas Tulum, responded to this review, February 14, 2014
Dear guest,

Congratulations again on your marriage. We are so happy you had such a lovely time at our Beach hotel and could fully enjoy your honeymoon.
We hope to see you again next year, maybe for your first anniversary.

Best wishes y gracias

Tofino, Canada
Reviewed February 10, 2014

Although we can't review the actual hotel, as we haven't stayed yet (but we definitely will someday), we had an incredible experience at this hotel yesterday. Our group of 5 went to spend the day at Ziggy's Beach Club. One of our party very unfortunately had a medical emergency on the beach and the hotel staff very professionally and quickly helped us arrange for a doctor. The staff was very caring, helpful and went beyond the call of duty to help us. We were so impressed and hope we can come back someday under better circumstances and stay at the Resort. It is so beautiful and the beach incredible.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
ctulum, Public Relations Manager at Cabanas Tulum, responded to this review, February 12, 2014
Dear guests,

Thank you for your nice comment about Ziggy's staff. We have passed your high chorus of praise on to their manager and crew. Everyone is happy that you are well now.
Again, we appreciate your nice feedback and hope to welcome you as our guest in the near future.

Gracias

Denver, Colorado
Reviewed February 5, 2014

We loved staying at Cabanas Tulum. We had been lucky enough to find Ziggy’s (the attached restaurant) for lunch a year ago when we were on our honeymoon. We instantly fell in love with the laid back atmosphere and smaller hotels on the beach road in Tulum, and decided to come back this year to the area. Cabanas Tulum and its sister hotel had just been renovated and since we knew we loved Ziggy’s already, we came here and were so happy that we did! All of the hotel and restaurant staff were very friendly, and everything was simple, clean, and allowed you to just enjoy your relaxing vacation. The room we stayed in (partial sea view, 2nd floor) was great. We got a fantastic breeze, could see & hear the ocean, and were steps from the beach. While it was a very simple & basic room, it was all we needed since we hardly spent any time in there. The beach was perfect, it was “crowded” according to the locals, but we were sometimes practically the only ones out there, reading books or running on the beach or swimming. It was very windy our whole trip and we had some rain storms every day, but we also had plenty of sunshine. I know it helps others to know the Pros & Cons of a vacation, so here are ours: PROS – the laid back hotel, the front desk staff especially Aubrey and Adriana, the food at Ziggy’s (especially the tuna nachos for lunch/dinner, the fish tacos, and the free breakfasts including the Mexican eggs and the Energetic juice!), the amazingly beautiful beach, and its proximity to other great restaurants & bars too including Can Sushi which we LOVED, and the bar at La Luna that had a “Stairs to Heaven” from the beach with fun live music and laid back vibe. The time of year we went (late Jan-early Feb) was the perfect weather… not too hot, but sunny every day mixed with a few storms, and not really very many bugs. I was worried about mosquitos so I brought bug spray but we rarely needed it. The nights were cooler and breezy so we slept great. We loved that this hotel did have A/C at night, even though we didn’t need it every night. Also loved that we could literally remain barefoot all week. Finally, loved that all of the other fellow Americans gathered at Mateo’s sports bar up the beach road to watch the Superbowl! The very few CONS – the internet was patchy. We knew that in advance it wasn’t in the rooms, just the lobby & Ziggy’s, but it was still really slow and kept cutting out. Also, some of the restaurants weren’t quite as inexpensive as we had hoped (and many only take cash), although still not as expensive as some fancier resorts. The only other con was that our trip wasn’t long enough!! Thank you Cabanas Tulum, we’ll be back!

3 Thank Christine M
ctulum, Public Relations Manager at Cabanas Tulum, responded to this review, February 6, 2014
Dear guest,

Thank you very much for your wonderful feedback and words about our Hotel and staff.
We are truly honored and happy to have you had as our guest. We hope we will have the pleasure to welcome you back soon here in Tulum paradise.

Muchas gracias,

iowa usa
Reviewed February 2, 2014

We just got home from 5 nights at Cabanas Tulum. I choose this spot because I had been there 2 years ago and had a good experience.

We stayed in a partial ocean view (the second row back). My sister had a lower level, we had an upper level. A small path leads you right to the ocean and you can hear it and see a peak. Good enough for me since we are so darn close to beach. 30 second walk.

They has updated bathrooms and the decor was white. I like a little more color but they have a nice white crisp theme so that is great.

They greeted us with nice juice drinks, they were ready for our arrival, the bell boy was super friendly and helpful. All were helpful and nice and it is a very welcoming place. I asked for softer pillows and and extra blanket and we got that right away.

BEST BEACH ever. This stretch is amazing. Great walk from either direction, nice hotel restaurant. We ate there every AM, and several evenings. Great walkable eating places to get to from there.... Taxi's up and down the beach road and easy to get to catch a ride into town or down the road if you don't want to walk.

Food in this area is as pricy as the rooms. FYI.

I would stay here again in a moment.

Room Tip: Don't be scared to take the rooms with out beach front- they are super close. BUT if you want t...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank saramariam
ctulum, Public Relations Manager at Cabanas Tulum, responded to this review, February 5, 2014
Dear guest,

Muchas gracias, thank you for choosing Cabañas Tulum for your Beach vacation in Tulum.
We are truly happy and honored to read what lovely time you had at our resort.
We hope to have the pleasure to welcome you and your sister back in the near future.

Best wishes,