“Cabanas Tulum ROCKS!”

Hotel Cabanas Tulum
Ranked #11 of 99 Hotels in Tulum
Reviewed May 20, 2012

Literally just arrived home from Tulum! Was booked for a week at Villas las Estrellas, an expensive boutique hotel that held a promise of tranquility and escape. Sadly there we found chain saws and construction noise (but, that's another review).

From the moment we walked to the front desk to inquired about last minute availability, we realized we had scored! The front desk staff person was so kind and accommodating. She saw we were fleeing a bad experience and gave us a deluxe room at a great price. The room was beyond our expectations. Elegant, yet simple, clean and the white walls held no tacky or distracting artwork ~ the view in front of you was the only art to view. Perfection! I did ask for a table or something to put my suitcase on ~ and Fidel was back within minutes with a large enough chair to fit my bag! No request or desire was left unanswered or unattended by the amazing staff and management of both the hotel and restaurant. We have never been so spoiled!

As noted in other reviews, the manager of El Bistro, Jose Mai, asked frequently for feedback, visited every table at every meal. You felt you were a guest in his home! His staff seems to love their jobs and carried out all their work with smiles, humor and grace.

For our last night we had to move rooms and we were put next door in a superior room ~ holy cow! This trip just got better and better! All the same elegance of the former room , but more. Same beautiful view of palm trees, ocean and white coral sand, add in a roof deck with a huge bathtub and sunning beds!

Not sure when we will make it back to Tulum, but when we do, Cabanas Tulum is where we will be! Thank you!

Room Tip: I thin any room would be a fine room!
3  Thank Nancy L

Reviewed May 19, 2012

Our group of 8 (4 couples) just returned from Cabanas Tulum where we stayed 3 nights before heading up to Playa Del Carmen. Big Mistake...we should have stayed LONGER!!! It was a wonderful experience for everyone. We occupied the older beachfront rooms which are situated on the north end of the resort. They were ideal. The porches/patios were staggered just enough for privacy, but yet close enough that we could lean over the railing and say "hi neighbor" whenever we wanted to see what the others were up to. Having a room at this end of the resort is like having a private beach to yourself. The garden rooms, situated behind look very nice as well. They've got a charming look to them, and are really only a few steps away from the beach (as with every room at CT).

I can't say enough about the fanastic service provided. The staff is second to none. The group remarked constantly about the upbeat and gracious service. If you don't leave feeling that you've made some great new friends I would be surprised.

We particularly enjoyed our daily breakfast at the el Bistro restaurant. It's a wonderful way to start the day. There's something for everyone to be found on the menu. Between dips in the sea, complimentary bike use to explore the beach road and lazing on our porches we loved occupying the swing seats at the bar or grabbing a table for drinks and snacks. We had dinner there on our first and last nights. Both times we were treated to some great food, beautifully presented with fast service. Dining and drinking while watching the sun go down, the moon come up and waves rolling in can't be beat.

The morning after our arrival, I was greeted by Christina from the reservations office. Having been the organizer for the group, my wife and I were offered an upgrade to a deluxe beachfront room. We pondered for a bit about leaving our friends to be a few doors down. We accepted, and found the new room be luxurious. We did miss being close to our friends though. These rooms, as you would read about in other reviews are very contemporary, and somewhat sparsely appointed. The patio area is very large and comfortable. If I had one suggestion, it would be simply a table, or desk addition along one of the walls. The room was very spacious and comfortable. Everyone's beds in all the rooms were very nice. I slept great. With the deluxe beachfront, we did miss the handy little foot bath that we all had out front of our patio with each of the standard beachfront rooms. I believe that being a somewhat sizeable group, the management wanted us to experience one of the newer rooms, hence the upgrade. Overall, I liked it very much, but I'd be just as happy with the standard beachfront room anytime. The large patio did however provide us with a great place to congregate the second and third evenings. Very comfy couch, hammock, table and chairs with room to spread out our snacks.

Thank you very much Christina, Anna, Emilio, Amato, Roberto, Roberto, Rafael, Carlos, Fidel, Cecilia, (darn..I am trying to remember all these names) and my favorite Jose Luis who while spending long hours doing prep work for the bar and restaurant while remaining the happiest guy on the planet, for making this a very happy and memorable trip!

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with friends
3  Thank Gary G
Reviewed May 17, 2012

The hotel staff was extremely accommodating and friendly. The food at El Bistro was great, especially the breakfast (which is complimentary). The dinner menu is a bit overpriced, but it is a nicer restaurant, so it makes sense. The rooms are ideal for those who truly want to get away. The hotel does not have any phone service, which I found to be very inconvenient, but we figured it out. The Wifi is a little weak, but again, this is a place to unplug, so it didn't really matter all that much. The location was great, too. Just close enough to things where it was convenient, but far enough where it was quiet. The bathroom needed some work (the curtains were a little old..), but other than that, it was really wonderful. I definitely would recommend this place to anyone, especially the younger peeps!

Room Tip: We had a the partial sea view room on a second floor. We actually still had a very good ocean view a...
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled with friends
3  Thank suse517
Reviewed May 9, 2012

This was our first trip to the Caribbean side of Mexico and we are so happy with our choice of Cabanas Tulum for our honeymoon.
First of all, the location of beach is beautiful just like the pics. We stayed in room 7 which is upstairs and on the end close to the restaurant. It was a little loud one night there was a wedding but it was over by midnight and we were usually up anyway so it wasn't too bad. We are very happy with our upstairs room with balcony and private roof top deck. The room was clean and simple and the bed was VERY comfortable. The shower was nice and big and even had a tub but can't imagine taking a bath since it was so warm.
The best part of the hotel has to be the service! ALL the waiters were so friendly and helpful we actually became to think of them as friends. Carlos and Emilio were the best and Carlos even hooked us up with a great day of tours with his brother Gabriel. We were so happy since we didn't want to go with a big group and wanted to choose where and when we went. We saw the dos ojos cenotes, lagoon, and Coba ruins. It was a long day but worth seeing all of it! I actually like the Tulum Ruins best. Also a note if you're claustrophobic, dos ojos cenotoe is a little scary so I only made it snorkeling for a while until it got dark and the ceiling of cave was only a couple feet from the water. I might go to gran cenote next time.
The front desk was always helpful as well. The room cleaning was excellent although we only had it twice in a week since we like to conserve water.
A great perk is that they offer breakfast every morning and the choices are all delicious since we probably tried them all! My favorite was the Chilaquilas. Lunch was also good and I would recommend the Fish wrap or crab burger.
We only had dinner there twice but they were good each time. One night was lobster night and it was good although not very big.
I don't really have any major complaints about Cabanas Tulum but if I had to give them a couple tips they would be;
1) work out the kinks with the power, our power went off a few times and it's a little hard to sleep without AC. and WIFI isn't very strong either.
2) Make the dinner menu a little more simple and less expensive, since we went out to the town most nights because we didn't want all the fancy choices that the Bistro had we just wanted good tacos and would have rather saved money for cab to eat at our own place. Don't get me wrong the food is ALL very good but just wanted a little less fluff. There are lots of good places downtown for less and just as good. Just gonna cost you about 70 pesos to get there each way which isn't too bad but might end up spending as much on cabs.
3) Last thing I would say is maybe have some entertainment on a few nights. Maybe live music night, or dancing? The bar was so empty at night and closed at 11pm. We went down the road to a place for live music and there was actually a sports bar across the street. It would be nice just to not have to leave the hotel but it was good since we got to see other sights.

I sure wouldn't want the hotel to change too much since it's basically perfect!

Thanks to all of you for making our honeymoon one to remember! Anna for being so great in communicating back and forth with me via email. Sorry I never got to meet you since I heard you were staying next door?
Front desk ladies sorry can't remember your names :( Always friendly and helpful.
Carlos, Emilio, Lorenzo, Cecilio, Zorro, Rosa, Mike, and Abraham your service is superior!

2  Thank msginaj
CristinaMtzC, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Cabanas Tulum, responded to this reviewResponded May 22, 2012

Dear TripAdvisor Member,

Was great having you as our guest and that you choose CT for your honeymoon!
Making you feeling at home is our priority, quality in service is a must, we will let Carlos, Emilio and the front desk staff know about the good service they provide you, this is fantastic we will continue working to give all our guest a better service each time.

Thanks for your suggestions as well! Let me tell you that we already work out a new menu with our chef and the restaurant manager, I am sure you will love it!
Also all week we have special events at the restaurant like tequila tasting, wine tasting, mexican dinner, evening grilled, etc.

See you soon!

Reviewed May 8, 2012

My boyfriend and I, both in our 20's, just returned from a stay at Cabanas Tulum and truly enjoyed it.

A few things to know:
I suggest booking the deluxe rooms as they have been recently remodeled and are just beautiful - quite simple, no wall art or over the top amenities, but the shower and porch with the hammock and sitting area is amazing. The other side of the property is mostly original construction which has been around for a very long time. You can even order a bottle of wine or round of drinks from El Bistro, the hotel's restaurant, and bring them back to your private porch.

The staff is wonderful, they were definitely my favorite part. We happen to stay at Cabanas over a wedding and the next morning at breakfast the manager came around to everyone, asked how their stay was going and apologized for the noise. The noise didn't bother us as we had actually joined the party the night before. All the bartenders, servers and front desk are so friendly. The staff keeps the grounds really clean and it is easy to just want to stay right at Cabanas beach.

El Bistro's food is nothing to write home about if you ask me in terms of lunch or dinner, but I thought the breakfast was delicious. Every morning, your breakfast is included and this does not just mean toast and fruit. You get to choose from a big menu, offering huevos rancheros, eggs benedict and healthy options too! And the breakfast is offered until 12:00pm so you can sleep in and take your time, sipping coffee next to the ocean.

If you are a traveler who likes WIFI and speedy service this may not be your place. If you like the person you are traveling with, a beautiful beach and friendly people - book Cabanas!

Room Tip: Book the deluxe or superior suites for sure!
4  Thank Kellynjohnson
CristinaMtzC, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Cabanas Tulum, responded to this reviewResponded May 10, 2012

Dear Kelly,

Thank you very much for taking the time to post a review.

Every time we see that one of our guests talks about our wonderful staff it motivate us. We address this to all our staff so they know about the great work they are doing and give them that big boost.

El Bistro at Ziggy Beach is making big changes to improve every aspect, service, food quality, etc. We are sure that on your next visit you will see a big improvement, we can guarantee you that!

Wifi connection is better at the restaurant and front desk :).

Yours in service,

Reviewed May 6, 2012

We stayed 7 days in the Beach front Deluxe Superior room. The rooms looks just like the picture, it´s right on the beach and the view is just amazing. The hotel staff was very friendly and the house cleaning staff did a great job. The only drawback was the variable service at the hotel restaurant El Bistro at Ziggy Beach.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple

Dear TripAdvisor member,

Great to see that you had a great time at Cabañas Tulum! Thank you for choosing our hotel as your home in Tulum.

We are making some changes in our restaurant to assure customer satisfaction. All our guests and visitors will see improvement immediately, since feedbacks are our priority we held yesterday a meeting with our chef and restaurant manager to address all the areas of opportunity and exceed your expectations.

We hope to have you as our guest in the future!

Regards,

Reviewed May 4, 2012

We've stayed at a lot of different hotels and different levels of hotel around Mexico, the Caribbean, and various other places and really thought Cabanas Tulum was a great spot and a great value. We picked it because it was a small hotel on a nice beach with a bit of luxury and good reviews on TA. It had just the right amenities for us and the ones it didn’t have, we didn’t miss at all. We went the first week of the off-season and stayed in room #9, a second floor Deluxe Beachfront King room in the renovated end of the property. The room, bathroom, ocean front balcony, and small roof deck were nicely designed and very comfortable, with the exception of the lack of a good place to put suitcases mentioned in other reviews. The room was $283 per night including tax and a delicious breakfast. The hotel seemed like a great deal to us with its relaxed boutique atmosphere, great beach, attention to design, adjoining restaurant with excellent breakfasts and lunches, modern, immaculate, well designed, and relatively spacious beachfront room with decent linens, his and her sinks, a separate toilet compartment, a rain shower, nighttime AC, and a private balcony overlooking a gorgeous white sand beach.

The pool area was also lovely, though we barely used it since the beach was so nice. The Mexican staff was professional, helpful, and friendly. The casual layout and atmosphere suited us perfectly as did the beach service. The night time AC option was great to have. The Mexican specialties on the breakfast menu were delicious. I especially loved their Chilaquliles. The fish tacos, shrimp tacos and ceviches at lunch were world-class. The front desk representative was always really nice and very helpful with directions and information. We spent a lot of time researching Tulum hotels with comparable amenities and were thrilled with our decision to stay at Cabanas.

By the way, if you go to the Tulum Ruins, go early and stop by Taqueria Don Beto on the highway across from the entrance to the ruins. Get the cochinita pibil tacos. They also had something special that came on small hand made tacos that were delicious. We don’t know exactly what it was but we ate it anyway and it was great. We just had a taxi drop us off there and then walked to the ruins (it only took like 5 or 10 minutes to the guide camp and then like 5 or 10 more to the ruins entry).

We had some minor critiques but, even with these small problems, we loved this place and are planning to go back because the rest was so wonderful and such good value. For the record, here were our critiques:

There were a couple of disgruntled American and European expat types on staff that we could have done without. However, they were not really a problem since there was not much need to interact with them.

The restaurant was severely short staffed one day and the breakfast service was bizarrely slow. This was compounded by the fact that they needed about 5 more tables for the dining room and had to spend time moving tables inside when it rained instead of serving guests. The waiter was extremely gracious and apologetic and did the best he could under the circumstances. The management should probably just order a few extra tables.

The ownership has put large and decidedly cheesy tarp signs out on the road and near the beach. They advertize El Bistro and Ziggy Beach. These are in stark contrast to the elegance and good taste of our room and the general atmosphere at the renovated end of the property. More tasteful signage would greatly improve the feeling of arrival at the restaurant and the view to the beach from the restaurant.

One of the bartenders did not know basic cocktail recipes and would just make things up without warning. We ended up with some strange concoctions that could have been avoided with a modicum of training…or at the very least a dreaded Mr. Boston’s. This problem extended from basic things like a lime daiquiri straight up to items on their own cocktail menu. However, the margaritas and mojitos were extremely well prepared and we had a great time drinking those.

The only fresh juice available was orange juice. We made the mistake of ordering a drink with pineapple juice and it was canned…as was the mango and everything else other than orange. Our preference would be that they not offer the drink or juice if they don’t have the fresh fruit. It just seems inconsistent with the standards of the property and, besides, having wonderful fresh fruit and juices is part of the reason for going to Mexico.

The menu at El Bistro seemed a bit contrived and smacked of the 1990’s. Things looked a little old-school Wolfgang Puck-y with squeeze bottles and what not. It deterred us from eating there more than one night since there were great options like El Tabano down the road and El Assadero in town, plus the places where locals eat in town. El Bistro would likely do better at night, if not make a killing, to shorten the menu, do less and do it better, and concentrate on more local specialties rather than trying to do approximations of high endish European or New American. If the management feels they need the “European” menu items at dinner, there are so many simple preparations for Mediterranean food from various cuisines that would marry very well with the local cuisine and the locale (grilled Branzino with lemon and olive oil, but with a local fish, or a real linguine vongole or the like). The bar cocktail menu could use an overhaul. We thought they’d do better with some simple classic cocktails and perhaps a couple greatest hits from Sasha Petraske or someone.

The lack of a place to put a couple suitcases in the room could easily be resolved in a manner consistent with the room’s design. It just stinks to have to keep your suitcase on the floor and also to have to bend down over it every time you need something out of it. There is a closet but it does not have a dresser. A couple of 18” deep "benches" or "side tables" on either side of the room that could take a standard roller bag on top would be great. They could be made of the same thick planks of rough hewn wood as the architectural features in the room. Dressers would be even better.

The sea bottom right in front of the hotel is a bit rocky and seaweedy in patches. It was great for our purposes but, FYI, the beach a short walk south has a sandy bottom that goes farther out and fewer rocks. Anyway, the seaweed there is small and not slimy so not as menacing as it can be elsewhere.

Room Tip: Stay in a second floor Deluxe Beachfront King room in the renovated end of the property, that way yo...
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Carolyn A

Dear Mrs. Carolyn,

Thank you very much for taking the time to post a review.

We will address all your comments to our staff and take action immediately.

Actually we had a meeting with the chef and the restaurant manager, we modify the menu, more Mexican, fresh, and guests will see improvement in every aspect from the food to the service, faster and with great quality, since now.

We take every feedback very seriously to give our guests or visitors the best of the experience.

Yours in service,