“Great Spring Break!”

GreenLeadersGold level
Houston, Texas
“Great Spring Break!”
Reviewed March 26, 2014

My husband & I spend 6 days at Dreams. We stayed in a Preferred King Junior Suite Ocean Front. The room was wonderful! Patio was great to sit out on and have coffee. I agree with a previous traveler that the "preferred" room charge was not worth it! The benefits of the preferred lounge, which anyone could walk in and use, were not what we expected. I think any room at Dreams is great, don't waste your money on the preferred status. The grounds are beautiful, staff was wonderful, room service was prompt and the food overall was great. We spent most of our time lounging by the pools and beach. We spent one morning touring the Mayan Ruins which was fun.

I am sure we will be return customers! Thanks Dreams for a great vacation!

Room Tip: Ocean Front Rooms are the best!
2 Thank CarolynSL

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,018)
  • Czech first
  • Hebrew first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Romeoville, Illinois
Reviewed March 25, 2014

I had never really left the country before and had a level of anxiety about my trip. Added anxiety was due to the fact that I booked a 6 Apple Square Deal and had no idea what hotel I'd be staying until I got to O'Hare Airport in Chicago. From my research, I had a wish list of 1) Secrets Maroma 2) Dreams Tulum 3) anything else.

When the Apple Rep told us Dreams Tulum we were thrilled. The Apple rep at the Cancun airport made an arrangement for a private shuttle because the resort is about an 80 minute ride. Which was cool, we were excited.

Upon arrival at about 11am, we were greeted with Champagne and a cold towel, which was really nice. We were told that we couldn't check in until 3pm, but were free to access any of the restaurants and to enjoy lunch. We were then approached by a man named Humberto who explained to us the layout of the resort and such. He was very nice and helpful, but we learned his goal was to get us to listen to the "vacation club" pitch the next morning. We agreed and moved on to lunch at the Seaside Grill.

When we were able to check in, we got to our standard room and were thrilled with how nice it was. Truly one of the finer hotel rooms I've stayed in. From reading around, I gather some of the standard rooms are on par with much more expensive rooms. The hammock was a great touch. Also only about a 3 minute walk from the resort hot spots.

The service we experienced throughout our stay was impeccable. Housekeeping was superb. We left $5 for the morning person and $5 for the turndown person on various occasions just because we felt they went above and beyond.

Which brings me to another thing. I read often on this site about people who don't tip and complain that they don't get the level of service of those that do tip. I've worked my entire adult life in high-end clubs and dining. Money talks and it should. If you plan on drinking a fair amount, give your servers a few bucks. If you want quicker service, dig your short arms into your deep pockets. Human nature dictates that people tend to take care of people that take care of them.

That being said, I didn't notice anyone ever wait more than 5 minutes for a drink. I never waited more than 20min for a table at any restaurant during our stay. And I never experienced any of these 1-3 hour wait times for food that I've been reading about. Every server was very good to excellent. Nobody was trying to hard-sell wine which I really appreciated.

I truly enjoyed the food at every restaurant. They were all very good. The French restaurant could have been better, but one clunker meal out of 20 isn't bad

The beach was great. Always open chairs on the beach. Maybe a few more rocks than I'd like, but it's off a giant reef and to be expected.

The pools and pool bar were great. The entertainment team did a great job of trying to make everyone feel included, but didn't make anyone feel bad if they didn't want to participate in something.

I have only two minor complaints about the resort:

The "vacation club" pitch was about 90 minutes and felt like being at a car dealership. Just kept handing off the the harder-seller. They let us go after about 15 "no's". They actually showed us a "preferred room" that was in our opinion worse than our existing room.

About 4 nights a week, the area by the center bar turns into a bazaar/flea market and the purveyors are obnoxious vultures. They often try sell stuff for 300% more than the regular hotel store.

At the end of the day, the resort is wonderful and I'd stay again in a heartbeat. They made my wife and I very happy

6 Thank Adam J
Edmonton, Canada
Reviewed March 24, 2014

Visited Dreams Tulum in November 2013. Great place! The dream is a great place for family or couples. This was our third time with dreams properties and we were not disappointed. The gardens are vast and beautiful the property is well kept, I would recommend not staying in the older parts(a/c issues) the newer and renovated areas are really nice. The beach is great! but the water is really rocky and not much fun. the resort had lots of options for entertainment and tours, great value. A special note to Irlanda at the front desk, Irlanda made our trip, any issues we had she jumped to the pump and made us feel very welcome, Irlanda also remembered myself and family from the last dreams we stayed at two years earlier! The entertainment staff were stellar! Best resort entertainment staff I've seen. Special notes to Susie! Javier! Louis! and hector. We miss you guys and will book at this resort again.

Room Tip: Stay in the newer renovated areas. Preferred club was not to value.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Cheltenham
Reviewed March 24, 2014

We have just returned from a fortnight at Dreams Tulum and were disappointed with our stay. After a long journey from the UK, we arrived at 7.00pm to eventually be handed a warm glass of unsparkling wine but no cool facecloth. We were given a map of the resort in Spanish, which we don't speak and taken to our Premium Ocean View Junior Suite 6310. The room looked fine but then we noticed the safe didn't work and the air conditioning wasn't very cool, so we phoned the reception and the safe was fixed quickly, but air conditioning still didn't go very cool. After unpacking we went in search of food....Seaside Grill was full up so we wondered off with our spanish map in search of other restaurants. There was a mexican evening on in the square with tables all set up, World Cafe was closed, Mexican Closed and we couldn't find the other restaurants because of vendors/stalls set up on the patio blocking the entrances (which we found the next day). We ended up ordering room service, but found some of the pages for room service were missing from room directory. The food we ordered arrived quickly, was very good and was the only time we managed to get french fries at the hotel.

The next day we woke up to a beautiful beach view from our large balcony and went in search for restaurants and pool beds. We were pleased we did not have to get up early to be able to get sunbeds with a sun shade. Lots of sunbeds on the beach but not so many around the pool with umbrellas and towards the end of our holiday, we did find that by 8 o'clock a lot of the sunbeds around the pools had been reserved with books etc. and not occupied until 10 o'clock. We never had any problems getting beach towels even after the rain storms we had several times.

Restaurants. World Cafe was a bit disappointing with food sometimes not very warm and not very tasty. Seaside Grill at night time was very busy but we found the steaks very good. Mexican was lovely at lunchtime with a different menu at night. French restaurant was very good with a lovely atmosphere and sometimes you could get a table outside, but you never felt rushed there. Asian restaurant was our favourite with great menu and a nice bar area to sit in whilst waiting for your table to be ready. We never used the Sushi restaurant. Coco cafe was lovely especially their frozen Baileys. Do try them. Italian .....where do we begin....AWFUL....We went there 3 times. 1st time we were not given a "your table is ready" buzzer so we had to go up and ask for one so we didn't miss our turn. 2nd time was better but were seated at not very comfortable table facing out from the walls. 3rd time was a disaster....we were given a buzzer, sat at the bar to wait our turn with lots of people coming in after us to be given buzzers. We saw a lot of these people returning and being shown to their tables whilst we sat there. When we went up to enquire why we were still waiting, we were told that our buzzer couldn't have been working and we would be seated shortly. We were not offered a drink when we were eventually seated so we had to go up to the bar ourselves. Never once did anybody say "Sorry". Food was ok there. No Italian atmosphere or decor here.

Most of the staff were very pleasant apart from the man in the gift shop which sells postcards, chocolates etc. We dropped a piece of wood out of one of the ornaments and he shouted across the whole shop that we would have to pay for any breakages. Never been spoken to in that manner before ( we are in our fifties).

We would have liked to be able to get drinks in proper glasses at night instead of the plastic ones they use during the day. We used to walk up to the Rendevoux bar in lobby to be able to have a nice after dinner drink in glasses, which made the drinks taste so much nicer. Only evening show we went to was the Fire Show (as we were usually eating) which was excellent. Well worth going to.

We were never hounded by the vacation club or spa staff which was good. Hotel grounds are beautiful and the beach is cleaned every day.

Room Tip: Upper floor ocean view.
1 Thank MolCheltenham
e-dreams, E-Concierge Seve at Dreams Tulum Resort & Spa, responded to this review, March 28, 2014
Dear MolCheltenham

Thank you for taking the time to write your review on TripAdvisor about your stay with us. Your remarks are very much appreciated as they help us to improve our service, and our product.

We are happy to see that there are elements of the resort that you quite enjoyed such as the service and most of our facilities,however, we are very concerned to know that your experience did not live up to our usual level of service offered at Dreams Tulum, I truly apologize for the bad experience at our Italian restaurant and our boutique.

it is obvious that we failed to meet your expectations. I wish to reassure you, that I have shared and are trying to address your comments with our Department Heads to ensure that we take all the necessary actions.

We sincerely hope to welcome you again on a future occasion so we can have the opportunity to redeem ourselves providing you with the service you deserve.

Seve Oy
E-Concierge & Social Media Coodinator
info.dretu@dreamsresorts.com
Minden, Nebraska
Reviewed March 24, 2014

After seeing the excellent reviews for Dreams Tulum we decided this was the perfect place for our spring vacation. We decided to go all out and get a Preferred Club Ocean Front Room. So many previous reviews said the Preferred Club was "so worth it". I don't know what they got that we didn't, but for us it was money out the window that could have been used much better elsewhere. The first amenity of the Preferred Club is listed as personalized check in and checkout with concierge service. When we arrived we stood in line with everyone else that was checking in, were directed to stand below the steps behind the lobby and wait for a bellman, and then followed our luggage and that of 2 other couples while we waited as the bellman carried their luggage into their rooms. When we got into our room we discovered that our "ocean front" was actually an "ocean off to the side and slightly visible to the left of the palm tree view". When our daughter who had reserved the room for us saw our view she was so disappointed that she was sure it was the wrong room. A trip back to the lobby assured us that it was the correct room. We were offered the room above the palm tree, but not until the next day. At this point we were exhausted and just ready to unpack and call it a day. The room was lovely, just the view was disappointing. Preferred Status and amenities was next on the list of the web site. After questioning the desk about our amenities we were "pacified" with a one time gift of a Snickers bar, a small can of Pringles, and a bag of peanut M&M's ! Thanks, that gave us a $3.00 return on our money. Bullet number 4 on the website list was really a joke. Access to Private Lounge and beach area. The Private lounge was supposed to be a nice haven with continental breakfast, hors d'oeuvres, and "exquisite" desserts. The door was never locked, we were never asked about our Preferred Club status which leads me to believe we could have walked in whether we paid the extra $ or not, and the food consisted of a couple of chafing dishes that pretty much never changed, because pretty much nobody was using the lounge. The second part of bullet number 4 which alluded to a private beach for Preferred Club ? When we asked about that little perk we were told there was no such thing, and that their website never claimed there was. Really ??? Have you read your own website ?!? They did however offer to help us find a beach chair on the beach that was open to the entire resort. Never an issue...but thanks. Our upgraded mini bar service was three single serving bottles of alcohol. All I really wanted was a cold beer, but the mini fridge in our room was unplugged when we checked in. We discovered that it wasn't working and was probably unplugged because it was putting off so much heat that the previous occupants were probably afraid of a fire. We asked the front desk to send someone to look at it. That was a week ago today. I'm back home now and quite sure the beer is still warm. Oh, and the complimentary newspaper ??? We actually got it three out off the 6 days. On the upside, the property was beautiful, rooms were clean, and much of the staff was friendly and welcoming. The World Café was a great place for breakfast. We enjoyed the Portofino Restaurant, but the Mexican Restaurant had painfully slow service. We tried it twice for dinner and both times part of our family gave up and left before the entrée arrived. Not the place to eat if you have young kids in your party. The Barefoot Grill was a fun part of the day, and actually had very good food. The pools and the beach were fantastic and kept us busy most of the day. I would suggest that the Talum resort take a close look at the claims they are making on their website. If they are not able to fulfill those promises then at the least quit making the promises and at the most quit charging extra for them. It would be much better to exceed expectations rather than deny or plead ignorance to them. It creates a lot of ill will, and leaves a bad taste in your mouth.

Room Tip: Higher rooms have better views. The room where we were at was next to the Mexican restaurant and th...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
7 Thank Deb G
e-dreams, E-Concierge Seve at Dreams Tulum Resort & Spa, responded to this review, March 25, 2014
Dear Deb G.

I would like to thank you for taking the time to share your overview on your stay with us. All guest feedback allows us the opportunity to improve our services and facilities and we readily welcome both positive and constructive comments.

Please accept our sincerest apologies for not having exceeded your expectations in all areas of your stay, particularly with the preferred amenities and benefits you paid for. Rest assured that each and every one of your comments has been addressed by the involved departments.

We very much appreciate your comments that help us to continue improving our facilities and services. We wish to have the opportunity to welcome you back and restore your confidence into our brand.

Sincerely

Seve Oy
E-Concierge & Social Media Coordinator
info.dretu@dreamsresorts.com
Wyoming MI
Reviewed March 23, 2014

Just returned, enjoyed the resort very much. room was clean and comfortable. biggest complaint would be people saving the best beach chairs but that happens all over. Had room service a couple times, food pretty lukewarm. we had a couple days of rain so some of the entertainment was rained out. what we did see was ok, not the best but better than punta cana last year. Mojitos were perfect! Chocolate martini tasted like it was made with gin, pretty awful. We went to the other bar & had one that was perfect :) very happy to see gluten free options on the menus since we have a family member with celiac disease. Apple rep was helpful did not hard sell any excursions. We took the 1/2 excursion to Tulum which was perfect for us. We had massages at the spa, they did a nice job but this was my first massage so hard to compare to anything. My favorite resort is Secrets Maroma Beach, Dreams Tulum was very nice but Maroma Beach is still my #1!

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Reviewed March 23, 2014

If you are young and looking for night life this is not the place for you. Pick a bigger place for this. If children get on your nerves then this might not be the place for you either. The children 99% of them were very well behaved, a pleasure to hear. I am mother enough to have taken care of the two who were rude, for the time we wanted the pool for exercising.

HOWEVER! If you are of an indeterminate age, and do not like to stagger miles to get from one venue to the next, then this IS the place for you!

Service Service Service - I cannot compliment them enough on the service. The restaurants, the pool, hey, even room service, fantastic, wonderful. No problem no matter what you want.
For me, and I've bee to at least thirty such places in Mexico and Dominican Republic, my friends have been all over the world. I had my 60th birthday here and loved it. So did they.
I love the size of the resort first of all. Whatever you want to do - it is not such a long walk away that you are gasping to get there. The staff to visitor ratio is incredible! Their staff is enormous and delightful. They are a soft sell place, if you want to join in, do, if not, then a cheery hello is given.
The food was always more than outstanding. I love smoothies, if you do too, then do please, you cannot find enough time to enjoy them all. They will make them from the menu, or if you wish, they will make you whatever you desire. I travel with two friends, they can drink alcohol without having to pay physically for this, of which I am envious, I cannot do this, but I can find any number of things to enjoy while I am out with them.
The food was outstanding, excellent, I am a good cook myself, and so is my friend, but wow! We were delighted. Rooms wonderful and quiet. I never heard our neighbors or anything else but our room. Gigantic TV and loads of channels when you need to come out of the sun.
We did not have children, and no interest in them, really, ours are grown, but there were a lot, quite delightful to watch and to hear.
There were loads of side trips to do but we just didn't have time.... !
We plan to go to this particular resort again, we could not have been treated better. Sincere five stars.

Room Tip: You get what you pay for. My friends chose to upgrade once we got there. We looked everywhere afte...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank Patricia B
Also consider these accommodations in or near Tulum
Secrets Akumal Riviera Maya
Kore Tulum Retreat and Spa Resort
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort & Spa
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort &...
#10 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras
Grand Oasis Tulum
Grand Oasis Tulum
#18 of 23 in Akumal
Barcelo Maya Caribe
Barcelo Maya Caribe
#12 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras
Grand Palladium Kantenah Resort and Spa

Been to Dreams Tulum Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!