“Very nice property”

Dreams Tulum Resort & Spa
Ranked #17 of 98 Hotels in Tulum
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed March 23, 2014

Just returned, enjoyed the resort very much. room was clean and comfortable. biggest complaint would be people saving the best beach chairs but that happens all over. Had room service a couple times, food pretty lukewarm. we had a couple days of rain so some of the entertainment was rained out. what we did see was ok, not the best but better than punta cana last year. Mojitos were perfect! Chocolate martini tasted like it was made with gin, pretty awful. We went to the other bar & had one that was perfect :) very happy to see gluten free options on the menus since we have a family member with celiac disease. Apple rep was helpful did not hard sell any excursions. We took the 1/2 excursion to Tulum which was perfect for us. We had massages at the spa, they did a nice job but this was my first massage so hard to compare to anything. My favorite resort is Secrets Maroma Beach, Dreams Tulum was very nice but Maroma Beach is still my #1!

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Dreams Tulum Resort & Spa

Reviewed March 23, 2014

If you are young and looking for night life this is not the place for you. Pick a bigger place for this. If children get on your nerves then this might not be the place for you either. The children 99% of them were very well behaved, a pleasure to hear. I am mother enough to have taken care of the two who were rude, for the time we wanted the pool for exercising.

HOWEVER! If you are of an indeterminate age, and do not like to stagger miles to get from one venue to the next, then this IS the place for you!

Service Service Service - I cannot compliment them enough on the service. The restaurants, the pool, hey, even room service, fantastic, wonderful. No problem no matter what you want.
For me, and I've bee to at least thirty such places in Mexico and Dominican Republic, my friends have been all over the world. I had my 60th birthday here and loved it. So did they.
I love the size of the resort first of all. Whatever you want to do - it is not such a long walk away that you are gasping to get there. The staff to visitor ratio is incredible! Their staff is enormous and delightful. They are a soft sell place, if you want to join in, do, if not, then a cheery hello is given.
The food was always more than outstanding. I love smoothies, if you do too, then do please, you cannot find enough time to enjoy them all. They will make them from the menu, or if you wish, they will make you whatever you desire. I travel with two friends, they can drink alcohol without having to pay physically for this, of which I am envious, I cannot do this, but I can find any number of things to enjoy while I am out with them.
The food was outstanding, excellent, I am a good cook myself, and so is my friend, but wow! We were delighted. Rooms wonderful and quiet. I never heard our neighbors or anything else but our room. Gigantic TV and loads of channels when you need to come out of the sun.
We did not have children, and no interest in them, really, ours are grown, but there were a lot, quite delightful to watch and to hear.
There were loads of side trips to do but we just didn't have time.... !
We plan to go to this particular resort again, we could not have been treated better. Sincere five stars.

Room Tip: You get what you pay for. My friends chose to upgrade once we got there. We looked everywhere afte...
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank Patricia B
Reviewed March 22, 2014

We are a family with two young teenage boys, and have previously stayed twice at Dreams Riviera Cancun, so we were expecting Dreams Tulum to the have the same 5* level of service we are accustomed to from our stays at Dreams Riviera.
Sadly, Dreams Tulum did not even come close, and I would rate it only a 3 star based on our experience.
We stayed in a Premium Jr. Suite, and our TA had asked for an upper floor renovated room. We were first assigned to a ground floor (which was changed when I asked what floor we were on) and we were told that none of the premium jr. suites have been recently renovated. If we wanted a renovated room, we would have to downgrade (without reimbursement) and move to the back of the resort to a smaller room category. We opted to stay with what we had paid for, and found the room somewhat dated (broken lampshade, noisy rattling air conditioning, and horrible sagging mattress). One of our boys slept on the daybed sofa, and we requested a rollaway cot which fit in the sunken living area..
After our first night our backs were killing us from the awful mattress, and we requested either a new mattress, or a room change. We were told no other rooms were available, and "we will see what we can do" about changing the mattress. We called three times over the next few days, and even went to the Preferred Club lounge out of desperation (even though we weren't PC), but the mattress was never switched. The air conditioner rattled all night and froze us to death, so we had maintenance come twice to look at it..but...it was never fixed. The control panel was broken, so we could not get the temperature to adjust. Through the front desk three way phone conversation translation (since the maintenance man spoke no English) he said this noise was normal, and the only way to "fix" it was to shut off the fan. I gave up at that point and just lived with it.
Our housekeeper never left enough towels, facecloths or soap despite my polite Spanish notes and tips.
Be aware, that the rooms are not soundproof! Our second last day, we got new next door neighbours. The maid was cleaning our room, so we had to sit in the hall for a few minutes until she was done cleaning. Our neighbours were having some afternoon delight (think "When Harry Met Sally" ) and I was mortified that my kids could hear EVERYTHING!
Food was hit and miss here. The World Café was always good for breakfast, and the one dinner we ate there was good. Portofino was excellent the first time, but beyond awful the second time.
Seaside Grill was painfully slow for lunch, but always good, and we liked our steak dinner there.
My main frustration was with Bordeaux...which is adults only, but when we checked in the desk clerk had told us that children older than 11 could go there. My boys are 12 and 14, so we got all dressed up, stood in line for half an hour one evening, only to be met with complete rudeness by the manager of Bordeaux who told us children were not allowed. We felt completely embarrassed by the way he carried on. We told him what the front desk had said, and he said "they shouldn't have told you that!" He then told us he would let us sit outside on the patio but we would have to wait until a table was available out there (which meant an hour more of a wait for us), and the food we were served was terrible. We took one bite and that was it. I was so disappointed, because at Dreams Riviera this was my favourite place to eat, and so romantic!
The Mexican was just OK, but was overtaken by a noisy wedding party the night we went there. At DRC there was always a Mariachi band wandering around in the a la carte playing music...nothing at all like this at Dreams Tulum. No Mexican feel at all at this resort.
We were celebrating our 15th anniversary, and our TA had emailed the front desk manager to let them know. At check in they said they would do something special for us...but it took two phone calls from my husband and a visit to the front desk, and they finally sent a bottle of wine and two apples LOL. At Dreams Riviera, our anniversary meant our room was decorated with balloons, a rose petal bath with tea lights, and a banner on our door. Here, we felt like we were begging for something!
Coco Café was really nice, loved the Mayan Coffee, but why can you only get that in the afternoon between 3:00 -5:30 pm?
At DRC there were lots of activities for our boys like archery, beach soccer, etc. At Dreams Tulum they seem to focus on younger children or adults. Where our boys were always busy doing some activity at DRC, they were always looking for something to do at Tulum. My 14 yr. old loves beach volleyball and beach soccer, yet it always seemed to be older groups playing so he felt excluded. There were no archery lessons here. The pool games played in the afternoon at Tulum were adult oriented, and often involved chugging beer or having tequila poured into your mouth from a water bottle by the entertainment staff. In the evenings we went to the shows, and played bingo, where Javier would constantly yell out that 0-69 is his favourite number..."kids, don't ask why!" Seriously? Not really the family environment we were looking for.
The only thing this resort has going for it is the beautiful beach...we walked south for an hour, and it was truly stunning.
Would we return? To Tulum yes... to this Dreams resort, not likely.

4  Thank kawarthas1
E-ConciergeDRETU, E-Concierge Seve at Dreams Tulum Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded March 29, 2014

Dear Kawarthas1

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on TripAdvisor about your stay with us.

we are very concerned to know that your experience did not live up to our usual level of service.

Please accept our apologies, it is obvious that we failed to meet your expectations on several points.

I would like to mention that we do our best to assign the room for our guests according to the category reserved, and taking all requests into account, however as you may understand it is diffcult to satisfy all our guests requests about room location or bed type since they are subject to availability, I apologize for the situations you experienced with your family.

Please rest assured that all of your feedback has been shared with the pertinent departments in order to be addressed and where necessary improved.

It is unfortunate that we did not have the chance to change the poor perception of our property before you left.

We sincerely hope to welcome you on a future occasion so we can have the opportunity to redeem ourselves providing you with the service you deserve.

Sincerely

Seve Oy
E-Concierge & Social Media Coordinator
info.dretu@dreamsresorts.com

Reviewed March 21, 2014

We just returned for a stay at Dreams Tulum and were so happy to be able to relax and enjoy this beautiful resort. Here is our list of pros and cons:

PROS
- Gorgeous beach and ocean with beautiful clear water. Cenotes both to the left and right of the resort 45 mins away which are worth a visit.
- Two large and well maintained swimming pools with blue floats available for relaxing. Competition for spots at the pool where the comfy beach loungers were but we got used to one of us getting up early to reserve a spot. Beach loungers not as comfy but lots available.
- Room are small but nicely designed and resort is well maintained.
- Explorers kids club was amazing!! The employees that work here are wonderful caring people who created so much fun for our children each day. Open from 9am to 10pm they always had a host of activities for the kids from crafts, Spanish lessons, swimming, beach activities and sports, trampoline activities, face painting, spa, evening stage show. Our children were begging to go back every day.
- The entire entertainment team made our holiday memorable. They organize activities all day from morning yoga, stretching classes, Spanish lessons, beach and pool volleyball, water aerobics, dancing, water Polo, beach walks, kayak tours, cooking demonstrations and night time entertainment shows. They are all very hard working and always very friendly!
- Bars: all made delicious drinks and were great at suggesting new drinks to try. Kept busy constantly but always smiling.
- Gym offered a variety of machines and free weights. Never played tennis but it was available as well.
- Restaurants: some were very good with mentions for the Italian, Seaside Grill, and El Patio Mexican restaurant. The buffet restaurant World Cafe served a good breakfast. At a resort of this caliber I expect to have some amazing meals, but the food was just okay. They do also have some offerings for allergies and vegetarians but limited ability to discuss them in English with us. Might suggest every restaurant have a go to person who is well versed in these items and can discuss them like we have had at other resorts so that we weren't taking a gamble hoping we wouldn't get sick from an allergic reaction to something.
- Free wifi through the resort and at the pool/beach was great!
- Coco Cafe: wonderful coffee shop serving coffee and delicious lattes all day long!
-Spa: we enjoyed a wonderful 80 min couples massage, definitely worth a visit.

CONS
- Quite a large number of mosquitoes in our room especially upon arrival due to the cleaning staff leaving the doors wide open when they cleaned on a daily basis. Upon request they did spray in our corridor once since we had over 30 in our room upon arrival. I think this may have been where we were situated as not all other guests had this issue.
- Our room was well maintained the first few days and then services went downhill. We always had a lack of towels and sometimes no towels. Once when we called twice to the front desk we still didn't receive towels until the next day.
- Restaurants: The World Cafe Buffet for lunch and dinner left something to be desired. Food was not all that impressive and the lack of fresh seafood was very surprising. The only seafood was if you wanted to visit the Teppanyaki station. We also dined at the French restaurant and although the food was okay, we were very upset at our hour wait for our appetizer and then another 30 min wait for a small entree. At this point we were no longer hungry and had to leave quickly to get our kids from the show. As the restaurant only had 4 groups in it when we were sat down, I feel this extensive wait for food was unnecessary.
- Tips: This may be a personal thing, but we did notice that if you were not tipping for every drink or service that some employees would not provide the same service. This seemed true mostly with the servers at the pool/beach. We prefer to tip when service is above and beyond, but many people were tipping $1-5US on every drink and received constant service, while we ordered a few times and never received our drinks. However if we approached the bar and ordered, we always got great service.

Overall the resort was wonderful and offered the chance to relax or to get involved in a plethora of activities to help make each day enjoyable. However, we would have preferred better food selections and better food quality and consistency in service throughout the hotel.

Room Tip: Rooms closer to the lobby are quieter at night.
3  Thank Pamela2121
Reviewed March 20, 2014

As a hotelier for the past 33 yrs I found Dreams Tulum unbelievable. The service of all the Dreams colleagues I came in contact with is 5 stars. They went out of their way to make our stay enjoyable. I was always hesitant staying at a inclusive hotel however the food and beverage outlets in this resort was incredible.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
2  Thank pat a
Reviewed March 20, 2014

This hotel is beautiful and very well organized. The beach of this hotel is one of the best for set up, it is rocky, but still beautiful. The beach has a lot of palm trees so everyone is not fighting over a few umbrellas. There is plenty of shade if you want some.

The hotel staff are wonderful! I cannot say enough nice things about them! The spa is nice, if you want the best deal go to the activities pool and ask what the specials are for the day to get the best value. My sister and I got a 80 minute massage and a facial for $220 each.

The hotel layout is very nice. The hotel itself is not very large and that was nice. The rooms are smaller than I imagined, but nice. There is free Wi-Fi everywhere, even the beach and the pool. It was nice to be able to Facetime with our kids and let everyone know we arrived safely. This is the first hotel I have been to that has the range of Wi-Fi. They show a movie every day by the pool/beach area, it is a newer movie, ie. Iron Man 3, Superman, Oblivion. That was a nice touch. There are DVD players in your room and you can borrow movies for free from the hotel. The smoothies are awesome, they are only open from 11:30-2:30, I would have loved a smoothie for breakfast. They do have smoothies in the buffet for breakfast, but they are not the same as the smoothie bar.
We had one problem with our room that took several phone calls and 3 days to fix. Our air conditioner control panel was not working. It was either blasting or off. We were freezing our first night there and called maintenance. He could not fix it and turned the fan off. Which at the time seemed like a good fix, until the middle of the night we woke up hot. The next day we went to the VIP Concierge, were they wanted to set up a breakfast to discuss the travel club. He said it would be fixed immediately. It was not fixed 6 hours later and I called again. It was not fixed that night either, I called the next day and it was finally fixed, the panel had to be replaced. My problem with this is we were in a Premium Suite, it was clear that the panel was broken, you could visibly see that it needed to be replaced from wear and tear. This should have been fixed by them without a call. But once the maintenance man came to our room and saw he could not fix it, it should have been replaced immediately. This is the small things that set a 5 star hotel apart from the others.
There is a good selection of restaurants and the service is excellent! We did a romantic dinner on the beach for my sister's birthday, it was $135. It was fun and the service was excellent. The meal was preset, it is Lobster bisque, lobster salad, lobster and steak with vegie and mashed potatoes, then a dessert. The meal was good. The one thing we found odd was all of the potatoes in the entire hotel are instant. For an extra $135 we expected real mashed potatoes. The steak was cooked perfectly. In all of the ala cart restaurants there are also mashed potatoes, we would expect real in the restaurants as well. As far as the liquor choices we were disappointed, they advertise premium international liquor. I do not feel that they had a premium selection, the highest selection of whiskey was Jack Daniels, I did not see Patron, or Grey Goose, I do not remember the highest selection of either. The drinks of the day are good and they are fun.

I would return here only if I was traveling with kids. This was a good resort, but not a 5 star. The service is excellent, there are activities all day if you want to participate. I just prefer a better liquor selection and slightly better food options.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank Mylifemyway2014

Dear ThomasFamily2008

I would like to thank you for taking the time to share your overview on your stay with us. All guest feedback allows us the opportunity to improve our services and facilities and we readily welcome both positive and constructive comments.

Rest assured that each and every one of your comments has been addressed by the involved departments, I apologize for the inconvenience with the air conditioning and if you found our liqueur selection lacking.

We very much appreciate your comments that help us to continue improving our facilities and services. We wish to have the opportunity to welcome you back to our hotel and have the chance to show the high level of quality service we are known for.

Sincerely

Seve Oy
E-Concierge & Social Media Coordinator
info.dretu@dreamsresorts.com

Reviewed March 19, 2014

We just returned from 6 days at Dreams Tulum and had a fabulous time. We have been to Mexico at least 6 times at all inclusive resorts and they have all been a bit different. We did not have the best weather in Tulum last week which was a bummer, but enough good weather to have a great time. We also stayed at the Dreams Puerto Aventuras and loved that resort as well.
Pros: Very large beach, you can walk a long ways and explore. At Dreams Puerto the beach is very small yet protected from the wind which was great since we had a ton of wind a Tulum! They do keep the beach at both resorts groomed from the sea weed and are out daily to make sure it looks great. The snorkeling was maybe a bit better in Puerto, but with the wind and clouds last week, it was hard to tell. We loved the food at both resorts and it was very similar. We noticed breakfast was a bit better at the Dreams Puerto, but that may have changed in the last 2 years. We loved Portofino at Dreams Tulum and ate there 3 nights! Grounds are also gorgeous and always being worked on and manicured.
Rooms: We had a Premium Jr. Suite on the 3rd floor 8308. We were on the 2nd floor the first night by the exit door and it was very noisy and switched the next day. I highly recommend being on a top floor unless you have 6 margaritas and won't notice the noise above you:). We liked having the extra room in the Premium suite since we have two girls. One slept on the couch and one slept on a blow up mattress we brought so we were all VERY comfortable and my husband and I had the main area to ourselves. Maids were great, rooms always kept clean and fridge restocked daily.
Tips: Always ask for bottled water. Yes, the resort has "safe" drinking water. But this was the first trip that we strictly only drank bottled water even to brush teeth and no one was ever sick or had tummy troubles and we did at Dreams Puerto. Rent a car vs. taxi if you want to explore a couple of places. We rented a car from Avis in the lobby for $100 and went to snorkel with the sea turtles in Akumal (great) and went into Tulum to shop. The taxi would have cost over $80 plus tip and more hassle. Not many ocean front rooms compared to Puerto, not sure it is worth the extra money.
Cons: Not much to complain about. They do push the spa a LOT. We used it for getting our girls hair braided which was fun, but not sure I would use resort dollars for the spa. Also, being a photographer, I was not too impressed with the photography. At Dreams Puerto you could use resort dollars for photography, but not here which was fine. I also noticed that the same drunk was over served 3 days in a row and kept passing out on the beach in front of us and literally almost fell onto our 6 year old since he couldn't walk. Not something you want your kids to see. They really need to watch who they are serving and not serve idiots who can't hold their alcohol or let them participate in drinking games on St. Patricks Day by the pool.
Carlos that served us on the beach was amazing and always smiling. Everyone was very friendly and accommodating! I love this hotel and if you like a more secluded resort this is great. If you want to go out and have night life go elsewhere. If you are debating Puerto vs. Tulum, we really enjoyed walking the village of Puerto and swimming with dolphins, but looks like that resort may have declined a bit.

Room Tip: Rooms: We had a Premium Jr. Suite on the 3rd floor 8308. We were on the 2nd floor the first night by...
2  Thank julie k
Also consider these accommodations in or near Tulum
Secrets Akumal Riviera Maya
Luxury Bahia Principe Sian Ka'an Don Pablo Collection
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort & Spa
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort &...
#10 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras
Kore Tulum Retreat and Spa Resort
Barcelo Maya Caribe
Barcelo Maya Caribe
#12 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras
Grand Palladium Kantenah Resort & Spa

Been to Dreams Tulum Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!