“Another perfect beach vacation at Dreams Tulum”

Dreams Tulum Resort & Spa
Ranked #20 of 95 Hotels in Tulum
GreenLeadersGold level
Boston, Massachusetts
“Another perfect beach vacation at Dreams Tulum”
Reviewed February 23, 2014

We just spent the perfect 10 days at Dreams Tulum--our third visit in as many years--and certainly not our last! From the moment we were greeted in the lobby with champagne to the moment we departed GM Alex and his staff took hospitality to a new level with a warm welcome and gracious cordiality.

Our Room: we were very pleasantly surprised when the bellman excitedly showed us to our newly renovated room where upon dropping our luggage he told me to open the curtains to see something new. Yep we had a swim-out pool outside our door, shared by about 15 rooms it was sparkling, warm, quiet, private and restful. GM Alex told us that the next step will be a private bar in the same area.

Restaurants: The Italian is phenomenal (try the fettuccine alfredo) and for something special have an amazing dinner in the private and romantic attached wine cellar where the maitre d' brings out one delish course after another insuring a memorable evening. At the French the duck is exquisite. Our favorite spot though is the outdoor Sea Side Grill where amazing beachfront sunsets are served up alongside wonderful seafood and steaks.At lunch we often had the ceviche at the Mexican Grill along with an amazing corn poplano chowder. We generally stay two weeks and I can say that there are so many restaurant options we enjoyed each and every meal! New this year is the very popular sports bar where we had fun watching the NFL playoff games with other sports enthusiasts while enjoying the comfort foods associated with gametime--BRILLIANT addition for the sports nut in the family!

The Beach: beautiful white sand, turquoise water, completely private, no other resort for miles around make for a rejuvenating and restive trip. Having stayed at other resorts in Mexico where one resort after another line the beach we love the Dreams Tulum beach for it's idyllic and tranquil setting.

The Staff: This is where Dreams Tulum truly sets itself apart from the competition! Having traveled the world for years my husband and I know what intrinsically makes a resort work--a beautiful setting, great amenities, but more importantly great staff. Dreams Tulum has the best we have come across and on every return trip they make us feel like family. Warm, thoughtful, extremely helpful yet unobtrusive they make a great trip exceptional. Penelope on the entertainment staff, Daisy at the Mexican Grill, Fernanda at the Spa are just a few of the wonderful people who make returning year after year so enjoyable.

Bill and Sandra E.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
3 Thank MaineSeaViews

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (977)
  • Czech first
  • Hebrew first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Vancouver
Reviewed February 23, 2014

I travelled here with my wedding party. The best part of the experience was the wonderful service and amazing people. I also loved the lushness of the grounds - very very beautiful. We had an amazing wedding experience and the wedding coordinator, Anabel, was very on her game and helped make our wedding day everything we wanted it to be.

The only real disappointment was the food. The French was extremely dull, the asian was strange, and the worst of all was the Mexican restaurant! We had a five course Mexican meal and by the end our group was in tears laughing because of how awful each dish was. Stay away from "Dreams Cheese".... The best food was a the seaside grill and the pool grill. Excellent fish burgers! The nightly entertainment was also pretty weak, but I was too busy to watch each night. The beach was okay, but the one in Tulum was breathtaking and I wish it could have been like that! Coco cafe was also a favourite - loved getting a "cheese bag" and a cappuccino each morning - yum!!

Overall I loved my wedding vacation and loved the area but wish the food would have been better as I was expecting it to be based on so many positive reviews before I went!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 23, 2014

I and my husband stayed at Dreams Tulum for 10 days.

On our arrival the front desk people were very welcoming and helpful.
We were also asked if we wanted to upgrade to a Preferred Club room for $30/night (as per other reviews I can see this price is vary?) which we didn't. I don't know if it was the right decision or not. Not becuase we did not like our room which was a garden view one with king size bed but I assume housekeeping staff pay more attention to the "expensive rooms"?

My only negative comment in terms of the quality of the room is the lack of towels some days and the fact that the bathroom was not cleaned at 5 star level. Otherwise it was nice and comfortable.
We are not picky people and did not complain about the above, simply share what we experienced.

The mini bar was usually refilled and someone checked daily if we needed more drinks.

A very impressive thing was when we requested to accommodate us in an other room because an extremely noisy family moved to next door and we could not sleep all night. Unfortunately it happened on Valentine's Day when the hotel was full but all our belongings were carried to an other room the next day. The front desk person was extremely kind and did his best to resolve our problem as soon as possible.

There's a funny thing I must share. However we are married I still use my maiden name and the holiday was booked on my name. The hotel staff often got confused about this.They either kept calling my husband on my surname or simply just changed my surname to my husband's on their lists in the restaurants. So restaurants and food. All I can say is that the food was excellent and we had great dining experience nearly every day. My favourite was their fish soup (World Cafe) and fillet mignon (Sea Side Grill).

The hotel's bar service is also brilliant. They make lovely cocktails and you do not even have to queue as waiters walk around the beach and serve you with any kind of drinks you want.

There's one thing we really did not like and got annoyed of that. Sales people are extremely pushy. Especially those try to sell the hotel's spa products. We undrestood that this is their job etc but when you have to turn your head around and pretend you don't see them just to avoid getting stopped and listened to their 15 minutes blablabla (often by the same person) 10x times a day, well, it's very unpleasant. They should realise who's interested and who's not. The same with the photographers...

There's also a possibility to book guided tours through the hotel which we would not recommend to do as they charge ludicrously high fees. It applies to taxis reserved by the hotel, too.
Transport links are surprisingly great in and around Tulum and the surrounding areas. You can simply jump in to a colectivo (mini bus) and it takes you either to the ruins, Tulum central, Playa del Carmen or even to Cancun, etc. It is also vey cheap (M$20/person to Tulum). If you need to get back to the hotel with a taxi for example from the Grand Cenote or Ziggy Beach is best to change to a colectivo somewhere in Tulum (San Francisco "stop" is probably the most convenient) otherwise you have to pay around M$250. Half price if you get the colectivo. Or you can rent a bike which is around M$100/day + some deposit. Colectivos are often more clean than the taxis, though...

Same with the shops. Hotel shops charge at least double price for everything you can get in any shops in Tulum. I suggest to buy souvenirs and stuff in the village or anywhere else outside the resort.

If you visit places where is no public transport available, make sure you deal with the taxi driver he'll wait for you and do not pay him until you are driven back to your departure point!
We went to Cozumel, got a taxi to take us to the quiet end of the island and when we wanted to get back to the harbour to catch our ferry back to the main land realized we were left there. As there's no electricity and reception there, we were unable to call an other taxi. Thankfully a lovely couple allowed us to jump in to their car and gave us a lift to the harbour. So Richard and his wife (we unfortunately don't know her name) from Seattle, if you read this, we are still very thankful for your selfless help! :)
The next occasion we agreed with the taxi driver to come back for us and that seemed he would. But he didn't. Luckily we were only 45 min walking distance from Tulum :)
Finally the third time we were lucky (we paid the taxi driver at the end of the trip, though).

Apart form the small inconveniences (which were not big issues) we really had a great time at Dreams Tulum.
Friendly and helpful hotel staff, excellent food, nice beach. Overall we'd say it's a pleasant place.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Nóra N
Baltimore, Maryland
Reviewed February 23, 2014

My girlfriend and I stayed at Dreams Tulum in January and found that it beat all of our expectations. We loved the location with nothing but palm trees surrounding the resort on either side. It is a bit of a drive from the airport (about an 1 hour 20 minutes it took us) but it is well worth it if you are looking to be away from Cancun and Playa Del Carmen. Our room was in building 10c which is the family hacienda with swimouts. We did not have a swimout room but they did look like they would be fun to have. There is also an adults only swimout hacienda building but we had no issues with any of the families with young children in the rooms surrounding ours (they may have just been well-behaved kids though). The swimout rooms seemed like a great idea if you have young kids as they seemed to have a lot of fun in the swimout pools. We had no complaints about our room. The bed was comfortable, the room was clean and spacious, and the bathroom was nice with a jacuzzi tub. We found the food at the resort to be delicious. We tried all of the restaurants and were satisfied with every one of them. The duck at the French restaurant was the best meal of the trip. They have a no reservation policy which didn't seem to cause any problems while we were there. We never once ate at the buffet for dinner but the breakfast buffet had plenty of variety. We loved the Seaside Grill for lunch since it sits right on the beach. The resort is a perfect size with enough people to be able to socialize at night but you also won't spend half your time walking from one side of the resort to the other.

The only negative comments I can say about the resort are about the dive shop. They don't seem to want business. The employees at the dive shop are very friendly but you feel like you're pulling teeth when trying to find out about their different tours and options. It was actually a bit strange how little they seemed to care about promoting their business.

The resort is near quite a few attractions and a tour is not needed for most of them. We took a cab to Akumal Bay for snorkeling with the turtles and also to the Tulum ruins. Both of these are great places to visit and are within 20 minutes of the resort.

Overall this resort is perfect for those who want to be in paradise but not spend a fortune. You can probably find a fancier resort elsewhere but why spend a fortune when this place has everything you could need. I would definitely return to this resort.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Surfinatic
battle ground, wa
Reviewed February 22, 2014

We booked our trip at Dreams Tulum as part of a wedding party. The room we reserved was a
Junior Suite Ocean View. On our arrival the front desk staff insisted that both me and my husband be present while I filled out the registration information. I had to find my husband to get the transaction completed, which was to only get his signature even though they had all of the information for both of us. We were told we were upgraded to a Premium Junior Suite Ocean View from a Junior Suite Oceanview. When we got to our room there was no view of the ocean...at all. The room and balcony faced a garden area and another building opposite. I phoned the front desk and they assured me it was an ocean view. They weren't willing to accommodate us in an ocean view room, since they assured us we were in one already. I am still scratching my head about that. The resort did have a variety of restaurants, and the Asian restaurant had good food. the breakfast we ordered from room service was quite good, but the breakfast we ordered at one of the restaurants was lacking. The coffee was cold, not warm, just cold, and our breakfast was also served to us cold. They did get us hot coffee, and offered to try again on our breakfast food. As part of our package we had resort coupons to be used for golf or the spa, etc. It was a huge deal to get the coupons that were included in my package without my husband being present. No one could tell me why they wouldn't give them to me, I was only told it was the resort policy. After quite a bit of back and forth with different staff members, I finally spoke to a front desk manager who reluctantly agreed to give them to me without my husband's presence. The explanation of how they worked was quick and simple. I made arrangements for massages at the spa with a very helpful and pleasant staff member, Katja. I used two $40 coupons which brought the cost of our massages down to $160 per person. The spa and massage was nice, however later that day we were told the resort was soliciting for massages and offering a $120 price per person. I spoke with a spa representative who said the rate would be corrected. When I got my bill I found the rate had not been corrected, and it took over 2 weeks for the hotel to respond to my emails, but the issue was finally resolved. The beach was lovely, and the resort easily made arrangements for excursions and activities away from the resort. I would not recommend this resort for the following reasons. 1. The difficulty of check in and getting resort coupons. 2.The misrepresentation of an ocean view room and quality of the room 3. The overall quality of food and the resort. I travel quite a bit and don't usually stay at all-inclusives, and hope this is not indicative of what they usually offer. There are nicer places to stay for the same amount of money.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank nwdonna
E-ConciergeDRETU, E-Concierge Seve at Dreams Tulum Resort & Spa, responded to this review, February 25, 2014
Dear nwdonna

First of all I would like to thank you for sharing your overview about your recent stay with us.

I apologize that your expectations were not fulfilled during your stay. We understand that there is always room for improvement and our guest´s experiences play a key role in this continuous process.

I inform that the signature of both adults are required at check in, I apologize if you found it inconvenient since we usually do it only at arrival, in that way we are able to document to your agency that both of you arrived to our hotel and also to be able to charge incidentals to the room by only signing the receipt by any of you at any time during your stay.

Regarding the rooom type assigned, it is in fact an Ocean View Room, we understand you may expected an Ocean Front Room however this is a different room category, I apologize if you were not informed about the type of view when you reserved or at check in.

We are glad to know you liked our Asian restaurant, I'd like to comment that your review has been passed to our Food & Beverage Manager in order to take actions and avoid the recurence of the situations you experienced during your stay and improve our breakfast options for our guests.

We will definitely take actions and make it easier for our guests to obtain the discount coupons, I apologize for the lack of response to your request by our Spa.

We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back to our resort in the near future and give us the opportunity to change the poor perception you seem to have of us.

Seve Oy
E-Concierge & Social Media Coordinator
info.dretu@dreamsresorts.com
Long Beach, New York
Reviewed February 21, 2014

I came here with my wife and 3-year old daughter - I had never been to Mexico although my wife had. Dreams was a beautiful resort - clean, gorgeous grounds, nice room (we had the mini-suite). Excellent friendly staff (especially the entertainment and kids club staff) took care of anything you needed. Fun activities and a lovely beach and pools. The food was 7-8/10 (really depended what you at and at what restaurant). The Mexican restaurant (naturally) was the best, but the Sushi was very good as was most of the food at the buffet. Coming from NY, we're tough critics when it comes to food, but comparing this to other resorts or hotels the food was very good quality. Only negative thing I can say was that the spa services were fairly expensive (although you are provided with coupons), and there is an element of time share sales on the grounds (just say no!). What i recommend is getting chairs reserved early for beaches and pools as these fill up fast. Overall a great way to have a family vacation.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
Wilmington DE
Reviewed February 21, 2014

I have stayed at Dreams Tulum six times. Although I do not like all inclusives as a whole this one rises above the rest. It is a convenient getaway from Philly and Baltimore and very convenient for a quick weekend or a week But there are many others to chose from.........so why do I keep coming back to Tulum? It does not feel like an all inclusive - it feels like coming home. Missing are the huge crowds and staff that does not recognize you. Once you walk through the entrance you notice the attention to detail in everything. First the resort is beautiful - 5 star beautiful. The grounds are immaculate and lush. The buildings look fresh and brand new. But what really stands out is the staff! I have been to all the best hotels and I am telling the truth when I say the staff is better than a Four Seasons Hotel. They remember you from one visit to the next and welcome you back with hugs. First time there? One day later and they are already checking to make sure everything is perfect and that your children are happy (because they know their names already too!). The area is private and does not feel commercial like other areas of the Riviera Maya. You are 5 minutes from Tulum and within minutes of all the best excursions yet the beach is yours alone - unless the sea turtles are coming in to nest. The spa is one of the best I have ever been to and I have checked them all out. The Jungle cabana is amazing. Food is very good and the wines are excellent with many brought directly from Chile. There is a beautiful chapel on the grounds built in the old Mexican style although if you are getting married here - as so many do - you can't beat the unspoiled beach. Add to this an excellent children's program and great entertainment and there really is no other choice. There are other Dreams Resorts - there are other all inclusives - but there is only one Dreams Tulum Resort and Spa. The rest should send their staff here for lessons.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank Gabriella002
E-ConciergeDRETU, at Dreams Tulum Resort & Spa, responded to this review, February 22, 2014
Dear Gabriella002

We truly appreciate you taking the time to write your review following your vacations here at Dreams Tulum. We are delighted to hear that you have been with us for six times, on behalf of all the Dreams Tulum family, I would like to thank you for your loyalty to our hotel.

We truly hope to have the honor and the pleasure of welcoming you back here with us in the future where we are confident that we will once again exceed your expectations.

Sincerely

Seve Oy
E-Concierge & Social Media Coordinator
info.dretu@dreamsresorts.com
Hotel Dreams Tulum Resort & Spa.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Tulum
Kore Tulum Retreat and Spa Resort
Grand Bahia Principe Coba
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort & Spa
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort &...
#10 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras
4.0 of 5 bubbles 4,507 reviews
Grand Bahia Principe Tulum
Barcelo Maya Caribe
Barcelo Maya Caribe
#12 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras
4.5 of 5 bubbles 3,112 reviews
Grand Palladium Kantenah Resort and Spa

Been to Dreams Tulum Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!