“Friendliest staff, Great Scuba outfitter”

Dreams Tulum Resort & Spa
Ranked #16 of 99 Hotels in Tulum
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed February 1, 2014

Was a bit smaller resort than expected...remote and very quiet. Booked rooms for 7 days. But those 7 days went very fast. Great customer service, great programs, great restaurants. The hidden gem was the presence of the outfitter " dive shop Play Aqua Water Sports". One name especially to recommend ..Jamie Drew. Was our first Scuba experience...took very well care of entire family and made possible that exciting experience. All the trainers very well educated and focused. With that outfit, 3 days is not enough!1 Great guys, great place , very secluded and peaceful. Was a great change compared to other places that's lot commercialized. Definitely planning to go back....and experience those great services again...Again, Hats off to Jamie Drew on behalf of our family for his outstanding services and going extra miles...

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank GM03429
Write a ReviewReviews (4,628)

Reviewed January 30, 2014

This was my first all-inclusive resort but we went with friends who had stayed before. The bus ride from the airport seemed to take forever but once we arrived I quickly realized it was worth the wait. The front-desk/concierge staff seemed a little flustered maybe because they were operating at full-capacity. We were told by our agent that we would both have second floor rooms but they were only able to give us 1 ground-level and 1 second-level but atleast they were above one another. We had to wait about an hour to have our room cleaned which was a little irritating as we wanted to rest after the long flight from Canada however we went for a quick bite to the buffet and enjoyed some drinks.
The Rooms: seem somewhat outdated but def functional - we never spent much time there anyway. The shower seemed to leak all over the bathroom even when we put towels in front of the door but we just mopped up with the towels which left them more laundry. I had trouble with my blowdryer always blowing the breaker in the bathroom so had to use out in the bedroom but again just minor thing. Our patio door was unlocked when we checked in so if you are staying on ground level be sure to check it before you leave the room. Our room was always cleaned in good time but our friends on second level had a couple days where the room was still a mess after 4pm.

The food: I am a vegetarian and I found options at all the food places. Buffet was always a nice back-up and my favorite ala carte was the Italian place.

The drinks: very friendly bar staff. They make the best mojitos! If you are sitting on the beach I suggest tipping and ordering more than one drink at a time as it can be awhile to get drinks. Premium liquor was nice and bar fridge in room always stocked.

The beach: oh man this is what made the trip so worthwhile. What a gorgeous view. The resort is so secluded you feel like you are on a tropical island. Nobody on the beach trying to sell you things other than photographers but they take great pics. You could walk safely down the beach past the resort and we even found a nice little swimming cove that had way less rock than the front of the resort. Absolutely picturesque. So close to the Tulum Ruins - an absolute must see!!! I recommend you go early, we arrived just as it opened and did the tour on our own and missed the crazy crowds as we were leaving. The beach at the ruins is postcard worthy!!!

The staff: sooooo friendly!!! Entertainment staff knew how to have fun yet did not pressure anyone into doing anything they felt uncomfortable doing. We met Sebastian at the lobby on a rain day and he chatted us up for a good hour - made you feel like you were at home and made us forget all about the rain. We saw him the next day and he remembered all our names, it was so genuine I can't say enough about him. They always seemed to have some sort of entertainment on at night - for the kiddies early on and for the adults right after.

Overall I had an amazing trip. My favorite part had to be the trip to the ruins and my massage on the resort beach! Well done Dreams. I would recommend this to anyone who likes a smaller, quieter, more secluded resort with friendly staff and decent food and the BEST mojitos :)

Room Tip: Corner suite - ocean front is a must. The building on the north-side is a little noisier at night d...
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends
4  Thank friendlymanitoban111
e-dreams, E-Concierge Seve at Dreams Tulum Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded February 1, 2014

Dear friendlymanitoban111

We truly appreciate you taking the time to share your feedback with us regarding your recent vacation. We are extremely pleased to hear that you all enjoyed your time here with us.

Please rest assured that your comments will be shared with our maintenance team in order to improve, and also with Sebastián, he will be happy to know from you.

We apologize for not being able to assign the room location you expected, however all room location and bedding requests are subject to availability.

We hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you all back once again in the near future.

Sincerely

info.dretu@dreamsresorts.com

Reviewed January 29, 2014

Just back from a weeks stay at Dreams Tulum, Mexico. Resort was first rate. Excellent, clean accommodations. Friendly staff and fine food. Entertainment was great. Beach however left a lot to be desired. Very rocky, don't believe the photo shopped images of the beach. Lots of seaweed and murky water. The beaches of Punta Cana DR were MUCH better. Also the "Vacation Club" sales people were rabid and liars as to the length of presentation and that they weren't ghoing to try to sell you anything. If you are told they have a free gift for you at guest services, run like hell or be prepared to lose two hours of sunlight you will never get back. While it was fairly enjoyable I'm pretty sure we won't be going back to Tulum, maybe anouther spot in Mexico just not Dreams Tulum

Room Tip: Pay for the upgrade to at least a Jr. Suite
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
3  Thank JimMurrayBrandonMb_

Dear JimMurrayBrandonMb_

First and foremost, we would like to thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us following your recent stay at our resort. We are pleased to hear that our service and most of our facilities met your full approval.

We apologize for not having exceeded your expectations in every aspect of your stay here with us, In the other hand I would like to commeent that we have proximity to the 2nd largest natural coral reef barrier in the world that is why some spots in our beach could be rocky but is also a great area for snorkeling.

Regarding your feedback about the UVC sales people, rest assured that your comment has been shared with the pertinent department in order to be improved. As professionals in the service industry we know that our guests feedback is very valuable, and the key to allow the constant improvement in order to reach an enduring high quality level in services.

We truly hope to have the chance to welcome you back once again in the future.

info.dretu@dreamsresorts.com

Reviewed January 28, 2014

Dreams Tulum is an outstanding resort with the friendliest of staff. This was my first vacation I had ever taken and I will definitely be back again in the future. On there resort there are numerous restaurants to choose from with a variety of foods. If you prefer a buffet there is one available for every meal. I don't think there was ever a time I had walked by an employee and they didn't smile or say "hola!". What a fantastic environment to be a part of!

Room Tip: Between myself and friends we all had a different accommodations but were all very pleased with what...
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled with friends
Reviewed January 25, 2014

We had stayed at Dreams Tulum December 13-20 and had booked through a travel agent who hade made a note regarded a room with a King (not two doubles). Upon arrive they were unable to provide us with our request. However they told us that on day 3 we would be able to pack up all our luggage and move to a room we had originally requested. After speaking with a manage for over 45 minutes we were able to have our room switched the following night.

On the second day we packed up all of our belonging and called the front desk in regards to our bags. They had told us that as it was check out time for other guests, our best bet was to bring all our bags to the front desk (a 15 minute walk without bags) where they would hold them until our new room was ready. Annoyed that time was being taken away from soaking up sun and lounging on the beach we made our way to the front desk with bags in hand. Where they told us our new room would be available at 3pm.

At 330pm my boyfriend and I decided to head back and get our new room. The new room was not yet cleaned and ready, so we were asked to wait in the lobby so they could send a maid to check. Half hour later we were informed that there had been a problem with lock and the key cards hard not been working. However the man at the front desk assured us it would be working by the time we got to our room.
Upon arrive at the new room neither of our keys worked, unable to find any staff on the grounds we had to head back to the lobby to have a security guy take us back to the room where he also attempted to open the door without success.
A service guy was sent to our room where he asked us to wait as he replaced the lock. By the time this was all sorted out we had wasted over two hours of our vacation and when asked if they could compensate for anything, such as free Wi-Fi, discount at the spa, they simple refused.

The new room was dirty. Cigarette burns and ash all over the mirrors, the bathroom stall had a strong odor of sewage and sand in the bath tub. The patio also covered in ash and a hammock that was torn in half.

Half way through the trip we came home one evening to find that someone had been in our room doing some sort of electrical work in our bathroom, as a panel had been removed from the wall and several wires were exposed also with fresh drilled holes with the pile of dust on the ground. Nobody had given us any warning or asked for our permission to do room upgraded or renovations while we were occupying the room.

On a positive note, the food was absolutely amazing. Not having to make reservations, and no limits to how many times you can go to the restaurants it something I have never experienced before with my past 4 trips to all-inclusive Mexican vacations.
Not to mention the 24 hour room service!

Unfortunately I would not recommend this resort to any of my friends or family and will not be returning as there are so many other resorts in the Tulum area where the hotel staff will actually treat you like guests. For the price 1500-2000$ a persons and with the Dreams brand I expect something more.

In the past two years I have stayed at both the Grand Bahia Principe Tulum and the Barcelo Tulum and paid a few hundred dollars less a person and had a far better experience and would return to either of those properties in a minute.

On a side note, upon returning on Dec 20 my boyfriend became extremely ill approximately (4 days after we got home), after going to the doctors for both blood work and stool sample he was told he had Somalia poisoning. Obviously we don't know where he contracted this but the doctor had assumed it was picked up on vacation.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
7  Thank Lisa C
e-dreams, E-Concierge Seve at Dreams Tulum Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded March 1, 2014

Dear Lisa C

Thank you for sharing your feedback with us through Tripadvisor about your stay with us. We are glad to hear you liked our food and Restaurants.

We truly apologize for the inconvenience of having to switch rooms and all the issues you encountered in the next room you were moved to, Your review has been shared with our Room Divisions Manager, he will take actions in order to improve and avoid the recurrence of the situations you experienced during your stay with us. As you may understand we take all room beding and location requests into account based on the availability unfortunately we were not able to assign the type of bed requested at your arrival, we apologize.

We sincerely regret we did not fulfill your expectations. One of our main goals is the total satisfaction of all our guests.

We very much appreciate your comments that help us to continue improving our facilities and services. We wish to have the opportunity to welcome you and recover your confidence in our service.

Sincerely.

Info.dretu@dreamsresorts.com

Reviewed January 24, 2014

We came in from Ottawa, Canada and met up with two other couples and had a great time. Yes, a bit pricier than others but no wrist bands, no reservations for dining, and the food was really good everywhere at the resort. Friendly staff, nice beach, what more could you ask for?

Go see Jamie at the dive shop. Great to deal with and really knows his stuff. I went on a cave dive with Jamie and his calm demeanour really helped make the dive a piece of cake. Dove the reef with Will whio is also a first class diver.

Room Tip: Pony up for the junior presidential suite, you will be gald you did.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank Mike Q
Reviewed January 23, 2014

Overall I think I would give this resort an 8/10 everything but housekeeping get top marks from me. I had earrings taken from my room on the second day... that was part my fault as I left them out I know but as a 5 star resort that really should not be happening. As well on the line of theft in the group I traveled with, a woman had her heart medication taken on the first day.

One the other side of the coin we were there for a wedding and it was amazing, beautiful and very professional. The staff was very friendly and happy, and the entertainment staff was great and full of life!

One tip about going into the water there is a lot of dead coral rock hidden in the water, I smashed my toe really bad on the first day... I recommend water shoes if you want to go into the water. On the up side the first aid guy was great hahaha!

One weird thing, for half of a day they were doing some kind of maintenance and I only had hot water and my father in a building adjacent to mine only had cold... I understand needing to fix things but a notice would have been nice!

Bottom line don't leave anything remotely valuable out in your room and your trip will be awesome!!!

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family