“I knew that I had found the right place in Tulum”
Review of Hotel El-Crucero

Hotel El-Crucero
Ranked #85 of 98 Hotels in Tulum
Reviewed February 15, 2011

I stayed at El Crucero for a total of 7 nights in January-February 2011. I had read the reviews here and the interesting blog from the hotel website. I was looking for a place nearby to everything but didn't really want to get stuck on the beach or in town. I only needed a basic single room with a bath.
I arrived just before dark on a Friday and had reserved my first night on line. The hotel manager Eluccio welcomed me immediately and showed me my 300 peso room which was exactly what I was looking for. I showered and chilled out a bit. This hotel has a variety of accomodations for every budget and comfort level from the 100 peso dorm to a nice room with a balcony. They all surround the garden. Tired as I was, I heard the laughter from the palapa restaurant so I made my way through the garden and met owners Sharon and Mark for the first time. I told them that I felt I already knew them from their blog. Sharon is so much fun and a wonderful ambassador from Northern California. We hit it off right away. She makes everyone feel happy and right at home.
The real beauty of this place is it's location. I wanted to visit some Cenotes, the ruins, the beach and wanted to see a dentist in town. This hotel is right off the highway at the entrance to the ruins. You can walk to the ruins in 15 minutes or ride a bike in 5. The best part of the beach is just down from the ruins in the Santa Fe area so you are close to that too. When I realized that I could take a Collectivo for 15 pesos up and down route 307 to the cenotes and to town from right outside the hotel, I knew that I had it made in the shade. The entire staff was great, Isabel, Geronimo, Eluccio and of course Sharona The have the internet and a TV in the reception area. I loved staying there and we had some pretty wild nights in the restaurant like Sharon's birthday party. I really enjoyed my stay and plan to return when an easy and cheap trip via Cancun to lovely beaches, the cenotes, the ruins (Coba too) and the dentist are on my agenda.
Do stay here, you will not be disappointed!
Greg Banks, Simsbury, Connecticut, USA

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank glbanks

Reviewed December 28, 2010

I was most impressed my entire stay at Hotel El-Crucero.
If travelling on a budget, this place will give you more than your basic money´s worth.
Definately the greatest place to stay in Tulum, in all stayed there for 7 nights, very affordable, clean rooms and bathroom, hot showers, and comfortable bed.
The hotel is well suituated, a close walk away from the ruins and beaches.
The hotel restuarant had charm and lots of character and the food was always amazing.
The owners Sharon and Mark are the nicest people around and made my stay a very warm and enjoyable one. A home away from homes. I will definately be back!

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled with friends
1  Thank BMordecaiJones
Reviewed December 12, 2010

We stayed at the Hotel Crucero for the Tulum part of our 3 week trip in Mexico. You must be advised that this is definitely a budget hotel, but a great place to stay if you don't mind some little flaws. The room was quite musty the first 2 days, which was a major drawback, but since we weren't spending time in our room (who would with the ruins and beach close by!) it was not a deal breaker. After 2 days it aired out just fine after running the A/C. The staff is very helpful and friendly, which is part of why we decided to remain there. I think a few places nearby were a bit cheaper, but we didn't care to move just to save $7 dollars or so. The bike rental is a great deal, and we did that each day to get to town, the beach, and just a bit of exercise. The shower was not awesome, but that is to be expected at a budget hotel in Mexico!

The restaurant had good food, though little steep for Mexico prices. Still, it was convenient and the Senora cooking the food was very nice.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 3, 2010

My brother and I were traveling in the Mayan Riviera, and came to Tulum on a whim. It turned out to be one of the highlights of our trip. Yes you must be advised that this is a backpackers, not a luxury liner resort, and that it is NOT directly on the beach. It's within a comfortable walk though (especially if you are walking with a 40 of Corona) of both the ruins and the main beach. It's totally clean and comfortable and has that fantastic air of being a friendly oasis of affordability and hospitality where a lot of travelers (travelers, NOT tourists) cross paths.

Duncan (the owner) was super helpful and is very knowledgeable about the area. I don't know what other past life he cashed in in the US to come down to a beautiful little corner of Mexico to start a new one, but it's obvious from his knowledge and his enthusiasm that he loves the new life and the new country well, and he's happy to share both that knowledge and enthusiasm with you, fellow traveler.

• Stayed: July 2010
1  Thank murrelet91
Reviewed August 25, 2010

It´s a valueable and great located near the ruins and not far to the amazing beach. Extremely friendly staff, always with a smile on their faces.
We loved it here and would recomend it to everyone :)
/Sweden

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Kristins80
Reviewed August 3, 2010

When first booking this hotel we heard this sentence on the phone: "we are looking forward taking care of you". And that sure is exactly what these people delivered. We felt so welcome, and really well taken care off during our whole stay. In the end I think that staying in this lovely place even saved us some extra money, thanks to all those usefull tips received from the staff.

Room was what we expected it to be, with 350 pesos you just can't expect a "five star hotel" but it was money well spent. GREAT value. We had our own nice terrace and you could get all the privacy needed but at the same time never felt "left alone". Not once we had to wake up cause of noise etc. Also made some new friends and heard interesting stories from other travelers.

Location was perfect, rather staying here than in crowded center or in the cabanas on the beach which are on the other hand too far from everything exept the beach. Everything was aesily reached by walking or by bike, but still you had your own privacy.

And Gregory, the mayan waitress, was bringing sunshine even to a rainy day :)

In the end I want to thank all those people making our trip perfect!!!

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank inkaster
Reviewed June 28, 2010

I planned to stay two nights and sadly left after four. There are so many wonderful attractions around Tulum and it's so much nicer to be staying in a cool garden setting close to the sea rather than in the heat and noise of the town. Luckily it is easy to get in and out of town via "taxi collectivos". All of the staff and owners were very obliging and gave helpful advice on how best to visit the local attractions, as well as in fact which were best to visit.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled solo