“Loved it!”

Ranked #40 of 95 Hotels in Tulum
Minneapolis
“Loved it!”
Reviewed December 14, 2008

Staying in a cabana anywhere on the beach in Tulum is an incredible experience. At Dos Ceibas in particular, because of the remote location, you will find yourself enjoying both jungle and beach in a peaceful, serene setting. I stayed in cabana #3 for one night and it was beautiful! It was November, so the heat wasn't a problem, but at night you have a ceiling fan and floor fan to keep you cool. I always had steaming hot water (a little salty though) and didn't experience any insect problems. Electricity is on from 6pm to 6am, which was sufficient. During the day, you have candles. Although there are no outlets in the cabanas, you can charge your electronics at reception as well as connect to their wifi (for a daily fee).

I also stayed in cabana #8, which is the cheapest of the 8 rooms. Beware of the snake holes outside the door - I saw a large snake slither out of one! Another "feature" of this cabana is that the bathroom is about 25 paces away, which isn't a big deal during the day. But in the dark evening hours, this might instill fear in the bravest of travelers! It might have just been an oversight by the staff that day, but they didn't light any candles along the path. So between the cave like darkness and the memories of that snake, I nearly had a panic attack just trying to stumble my way to the bathroom. My advice? Bring a flashlight!!! And some bug spray wouldn't hurt. Once I finally did make it to the toilet, a HUGE Tailess Whip Scorpion greeted me.

The food is excellent, they provide an endless supply of purified drinking water, credit cards are accepted and the staff is very friendly. I'd stay here again (with a flashflight!).

• Stayed November 2008, traveled solo
3 Thank DRPMpls

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (55)
Vancouver, BC
Reviewed June 8, 2008

Although we were booked at Luna Maya (see my review on that one), we opted to spend our first night in Tulum at Dos Ceibas. I can assure you, that if it weren't for the "no refund" policy at Luna Maya we would certainly have spent our entire stay at Dos Ceibas. We stayed in Mariposa (not sure if I would have been up for the infamous swinging beds). The beds were extremely comfortable, the beach was magnificent and I would say the best in Tulum. We were warmly welcomed by Esmeralda, and Carolina was wonderful and efficient. The setting is extremely romantic, particularly at night when the entire area is candlelit . We had the Dos Ceibas fish for dinner and it is truly memorable, It speaks volumes about the quality of the kitchen.
A caveat - don't expect consistently hot showers or 24 hour electricity anywhere in this area but believe me, I really wouldn't trade the ambience for these minor inconveniences.
Many of the the beach cabanas in Tulum are seriously misrepresented but I would say that, for us, Dos Ceibas really delivered. I imagine the complaints about the swinging beds might be legitimate though, particularly after a few margheritas, however, the front unit beds are on terra firma and we look forward to a lengthier stay next time.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — decor is eclectic but the the color is too dark.
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple
4 Thank partiof1
Toronto
Reviewed April 21, 2008

Our stay at Dos Ceibas was a success. It's on the best stretch of beach there is in Tulum, other than the part within the Sian Ka'an Biosphere Reserve.

We stayed two nights in Bungalow 8, Cocodrilo, the "budget" room. It was very nice and quite cool - we didn't need the fan even though we were there during a heat wave. The bathroom (which was detached) was very cramped but very clean. There wasn't always hot water, though.

For our last night we stayed in #7, Zarigueya. The ensuite bathroom lacked privacy, but otherwise the cabana was great. We enjoyed the hammocks on the porch.

The staff was friendly and very helpful, although a bit overwhelmed at times. The "casual" food on the lunch/dinner menu (tacos, etc.) was mediocre but the dinner entrees, although a bit expensive even by Canadian standards, were absolutely delicious. There were some really good deals on the breakfast menu.

Dos Ceibas is pretty far down the cabana strip, so be prepared to do lots of walking or pay for cabs. It wasn't a problem for us -- I thought the beauty of the beach far outweighed the remoteness -- but others might find it a hassle.

Others below have complained about mosquitos, roaches, not being able to flush the toilet paper, etc. These are not unique to Dos Ceibas -- no matter where you go in Mexico, you'll run into these tiny wrinkles. If they're not your scene, perhaps you'd be better off staying home or visiting another country.

The ruins and the reserve are both definitely worth checking out.

• Liked — the lovely beach
  • Disliked — the bathrooms - clean, but oddly designed
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled as a couple
3 Thank flipagain
Eugene, Oregon
Reviewed April 14, 2008

I'm puzzled by some of the reviews here. My adult children and I had a wonderful time at Posada Dos Ceibas. Having stayed in a many a Marriott, Hilton, or Best Western, we were thrilled with the charm of this Yucatecan spot. This place was glorious, with little bungalows with thatched roofs, mosquito netting over the beds and beautiful bright colored stucco. We walked in soft (immaculately clean) white sand to the reception/restaurant and had several meals there, overlooking the ocean. I became quite addicted to fish tacos and beer with lime. Everyone there was most courteous and helpful. I sat for hours on the small balcony, mesmerized by the colors, the foliage, and the sounds of the birds. There was no need for electricity during the day (we were at the beach!) and the fact that the cleverly designed bathroom had no door didn't prevent us from giving us other privacy. All these unusual things contributed to our enjoyment, frankly, because we wanted to experience Mexico, not a predictable hotel. Our beds were stationary, so don't know if a floating bed would have bothered me.
Many thanks to Carolina who was so kind to us.

Stayed March 2008
3 Thank eagertraveler55
seattle
Reviewed February 28, 2008

Stayed here for 3 nights in mid-Feb 2008. This is definitely the most beautiful and peaceful beach I've ever been on (wish I could've slept there). With the sand pathways that lead to restaurant and beach, you never need to wear shoes! However, I would affirm what another lodger at Bungalow Iguana said, horrible swinging bed (we had to prop our suitcases under it to keep from getting sick). The ceiling fan was merely a prop and did nothing to actually cool the place down. The 2 women that staffed the reception regarded us as something nasty they'd scraped off their shoe, despite the fact that we were very pleasant towards them. Drink/dinner "service" was almost non-existant. Morning service was the complete opposite: different staff which was very pleasant, relaxed but efficient. Beware the lack of electrical outlets in the room. And, nothing says "GOOD MORNING" like a cold, salt water shower. We didn't have warm water the entire time. It's definitely an experience, kinda close to camping.

• Liked — stunning white beach that stretched out for miles
  • Disliked — acerbic front desk wenches
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled with family
2 Thank cinstress
New York
Reviewed January 23, 2008

We are a family of two parents and twin 4 year-old boys. We highly recommend Dos Ceibas - the beach is spectacular, the bungalows are clean and well equipped, the restaurant is decent, and most important, the property is sufficiently large and laid back so that my wife and I could relax a little bit without worrying all the time that our kids either get into trouble or bother the other guests.

• Stayed January 2008, traveled with family
3 Thank ob234
British Columbia
Reviewed December 20, 2007

Dos Ceibas is great! We spent 2 nights in Bungalow Crocodrilo ($549 pesos/night).

To all the other reviewers who complained about cockroaches, mosquitoes, not being able to drink the water and to throw toilet paper in the toilet: Welcome to Mexico guys...it's like that everywhere; maybe you should have stuck to the all-inclusives! The power is on from 7pm to about 8am (more than adequate). The solar heated water is warm but takes a little while to get going. The staff is friendly. The dogs are cute. The beach is AMAZING!

• Liked — The beach
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled with friends