“tranquil paradise”

Ranked #39 of 95 Hotels in Tulum
Anderson
“tranquil paradise”
Reviewed May 5, 2011

This hotel was very relaxing and the employees were so nice!! This is not the place to go for night life, unless your idea of night life is walking on the beach under a beautiful moon. The beach was so nice and the food at the hotel was some of the best and most reasonable on the beach. Our open air cabana was great for our tastes. We left our doors and windows open the whole time. I could see it might be a little hot in the summer but for April it is just right. If you are looking for eco travel this is the place to go. Don't expect it to be like resorts in Cancun, that is not what it is about at this quaint place. It is about reading a book on the beach, listening to the waves just steps away, and total relaxation in an eco friendly place. We would definitely go back!!

Room Tip: Stay in one of the 2 cabanas in the front.
1 Thank bradandlis

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (55)
Bristol
Reviewed May 3, 2011

we did ot stay at this hotel, however we wish we did. Upon a walk along the, we decided to stop here for an afternoon drink, and ended up staying here all evening, wew were the only people there and as night fell, the place was candlelit and was a very romantic setting with great cocktails. the service was personal and friendly, our waiter showed us one of the cabanas available and we would have moved there had we not apyed in advance for our current accommodation. the rooms are lovely with hanging beds and a clean bathroom with a decent shower. Steps away from the beach

Mexico City, Mexico
Reviewed April 25, 2011

My husband and I had a couple great time at dos ceibas, it´s excelent service, food, location a totally relaxing experience with beautiful beach, calmed sea and an splendid full moon made this a couple of magical days, you have an excellent restauant at the hotel but also the possibility to visit other restaurants araund even if you don´t have a car, is about 10 km from Tulum but the trip worth it

Hamilton, Canada
Reviewed March 1, 2011

I traveled with my husband and our 18 months old daughter. We all loved the place: our cabana, beach, food, people. We stayed for two nights and I wish we could have stayed longer. Cabana with a little kitchen was great as we traveled with baby. It is far from a downtown of Tulum if you do not have car, however I have seen people on their bikes , but if you have baby and want to get to town you better have a car. But you do not really need to go to town anyway because all you need is close by: restaurants , shops, beach :) We had a kitchen and the car so we shopped for food and used our kitchen sometimes. Great place.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank supernisia
Cleveland, Ohio
Reviewed July 7, 2010

We made a side road trip to Tulum during our stay at Cancun. After visiting the ruins we decided to spend the night and found this place in our tour book. The posada is made of brightly colored, round huts with palapa style roofs set under a canopy of jungle trees. All the huts included private hammocks on the front porch/patio area. The room we choose had two beds with mosquito nets. This was a new experience for me. Unfortunately, I choose the "floating bed" suspended from the ceiling. Needless to say, I did'nt get any sleep that night, because your bed will sway all night every time you turn or stir. The other matrress in the room was not so comfortable. This posada was very eco-friendly and used solar energy and well water. Once the electricity ran out, some time during the night, the fans stop running and it got very stuffy. I would recommend leaving your curtains open so you can breath. The room provided candles and matches.
The beauty of this place is that you are only a few steps from the ocean. After a lite dinner of fresh fish at the little restaurant, we sat under the stars enjoying the moonlight on the beach. A little while later some residents walking along the beach with flashlights alerted us that a sea turtle had come ashore to lay her eggs. We did'nt know it was the season for laying eggs. I can't describe in words how magical this experience was. The locals educated us on how to behave and not scare the turtle. While this was going on another turtle came ashore to build her nest and drop anywhere from 100-125 eggs. After so much excitement it was hard to go to sleep, which I really did'nt. If you do get some sleep, you will wake up to exotic bird calls right above your hut. We walked down the beach past two hotels and there is a fantastic restaurant with the friendliest waiter named Enrique. A place to eat pancakes and look at the sea. If you deal without ac and mosquito nets, than this is the place for you. The beach is amazing, empty and breathtaking with a natural reef about half a mile out or so. Tulum is a mystical experience!

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
North London
Reviewed June 20, 2010

We spent five nights at Dos Ceibas and had a really lovely stay. The location is amazing, right on the beach and the bar / restaurant is a lovely place to have breakfast or spend the evening with a bottle of wine. The staff are very friendly and helpful and the cabana we stayed in was spacious and comfortable and always beautifully cleaned. The only slight downside is that they have some lovely friendly dogs on the site who were very cute by day, but could be slightly noisy at night.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
NY, NY
Reviewed March 7, 2010

Dos Ceibas is a perfect place to relax and recharge. I stayed in bugalow 7 - a great amount of space, a comfortable bed, and when the hot water went out, it was fixed immediately. The staff was very friendly. Because the bungalows are built within the jungle - as opposed to ripping the jungle out and building, as many of the other beach road resorts seem to have done - you wake up to birds calling and tree branches blowing in the breeze, and the short walk back to the room after a day on the beach is cool and refreshing. The posada's beach was spotless and not crowded during my stay. Because it is further down the beach, it is not among the larger resorts. You get the feeling of being a bit more secluded, a bit more quiet and peacful, than you would elsewhere.

The food at Dos Ceibas was GREAT. Compared to the handful of meals I had at other beach road places, Dos Ceibas was tastier and of higher quality. If you're there for only a few days, I would recommend eating all meals at the posada. If you have more time and like to eat around as I do, try Deli and Trece Lunas on the beach road.

Food in town, however, was a different story. I did not have one bad meal on the avenida! Azafran is amazing and I don't know how she can charge such cheap prices for such sophisticated food. Rincon Poblano and Salsalito Tacos were great, too.

I rented a bike from Lily's Bike Rental - a must if you chose not to rent a car - to get to and from town, the ruins and Sian Ka'an. A note: Tulum ruins open at 8am, not earlier as noted in the Rough Guide. Do not get up early and bike all the way without coffee and breakfast to be the first one there at 7 - you will have to wait til 8!!

Really, Dos Ceibas is perfectly located, beautiful and well-kept. The electricity was a non-issue for me, but do bring a flashlight - because the bungalows are so shady and cool, they are also dark! I needed my flashlight to find something in my room at 4pm! Also, bungalow 7 is attached to and below number 6. So such non-jungle sounds as toddlers' feet, chairs dragged across the floor and screen doors slamming were easliy heard. Honestly, I was so relaxed these didn't really bother me, but they should be noted becasue the map of the posada dosen't make it clear 6 is above 7. Regardless, I would highly recommend this place and do intend to return!

• Liked — Location
  • Stayed March 2010, traveled solo