“Heavenly and indulgent, but not too pricey!”
Review of Maya Spa

Maya Spa
Ranked #13 of 27 Spas & Wellness in Tulum
More attraction details
Owner description: Maya Spa in Tulum feels like another world - slow paced, candle-lit, and richly endowed with pleasures for our senses. Slow down and breathe fresh sea air, bury your toes in cool white sand, linger in the lapping waves of the warm Caribbean Sea. It is the perfect retreat to stimulate your senses and immerse yourself in explorations of your body's wisdom. Purify yourself with our indigenous sweat lodge and fresh tropical meals.
Reviewed August 16, 2007

My girlfriends spent a day at the Maya Spa in Tulum and had an amazing time! We all got different treatments.

I started off with a Mayan Clay Massage. The treatment is done in one of their beach front huts, so you can feel the breeze and hear the ocean during your treatment. This treatment is essentially a skin treatment - an all over body mask, but with a little bit of massaging as they apply it. After Jessica had gone over my body with two layers of mud she instructed me to take a bath in the ocean. She gave me a guazy wrap to wear into the water since I was a little shy about going in topless! It was a great treatment, very relaxing and affordable and my skin felt great afterwards!

Next I had a relaxing massage, again by Jessica. This is just your typical massage - but it was fantastic! The best massage I've ever had. She used oil that had some sand in it, so I got some exfoliation as well.

At the last minute I decided to add on a mayan bath. This is a speciality of the spa, something you can really only get there. I am SO glad I decided to do this treatment! If you are only going to get one thing - get this!

We actually had to drive to the Zahra reort a little ways down the road for this treatment. When I got there, I was led to the top of a cliff overlooking the ocean - absolutely breathtaking! I laid on a table and received a full body exfoliation with sugar and honey. Then I transferred to the bath, where Graciella bathed me in water soaked with steaming herbs and flowers. She applied the mud to my face and hair and relaxed me by passing steaming herbs under my nose. She exfoliated my feet and did some chanting. Afterwards, Graciella instructed me to gather the flowers from my bath and offer them back to the sea. She said that my feelings had transferred to the flowers. Then we moved back to the table and she rubbed me down with oils and lotions. I left that treatment smelling absolutely incredible! My friends kept smelling me for the rest of the day. It was such a relaxing, indulgent treatment - two thumbs waaaaay up!

I should also mention the pool and snack bar area at the spa. While we were waiting on our treatments, we lounged in a small fresh water pool and had rum punches from the bar. When we got hungry we ordered some food - and the ceviche they served was the best I've ever had! Several kinds of fish, even octopus! We met two lovely girls from Brittian there who invited us to see their hut - they were actually staying at the spa. It was very cool. No electricity and a thatched roof. Lots of candlelight and mosquito netting. Very romantic and different!

5  Thank dangerkitty

Reviewed September 22, 2006

I sampled two services at Maya Spa (Copal) and had mixed results. First the good news -

The temazcal sweat bath was an interesting experience, but not recommended if you're claustrophobic. I participated with a couple and the wife had to leave after the first quarter (it's divided into four parts of prayers and chants). It's a good way to get an overview of Mayan spirituality, and it's very relaxing if you can handle the darkness, close space, and heat. Be sure to drink plenty of water beforehand and bring something dry to change into. I had a quick dip in an onsite freshwater pool afterward to cool off, which was very refreshing. My only complaint is that the website advertises the price as US$32 and they charged me US$45.

I also had the chocolate exfoliation treatment and was very disappointed. The treatment advertised on the website includes the application of a cocoa and almond oil exfoliant, being wrapped in banana leaves for twenty minutes to allow the mixture to penetrate the skin, having oil applied to the hair and a cranial massage during the 20 minute period, and a bath in a freshwater tub afterward. In reality, they applied the chocolate exfoliant, wrapped me in a questionably-clean sheet, skipped the cranial massage altogether, then lead me to a filthy outdoor shower to rinse off with salty water. On the plus side, the treatment is performed outdoors in privacy, so you can enjoy the breeze and the sound of the ocean.

My advice is to discuss the services in detail before booking (and paying) and be certain that you will get everything offered in print for the price. Or better yet, look elsewhere - maybe with a private individual. I booked a Mayan clay treatment and an aloe vera wrap with Claudia through my hotel (La Posada Lamar) and enjoyed both thoroughly.

5  Thank bunnyslippers
Reviewed June 27, 2006

I have never experienced a massage like I did at Maya-Spa. Maria Luisa was wonderful, and made me feel totally at ease. I wish I could have had more treatments there because it was unbelievable! I would totally recommend this place! I had the "relaxing massage" and it was wonderful! The sound of the ocean crashing and the breeze blowing - I am still relaxed thinking of it! Book in the morning before it gets too hot - ours were at 10:30 and I'm glad they were so early because it had started to get hot by lunch.

7  Thank SmileDoc7
A TripAdvisor Member
Berkeley Springs, WV
Reviewed January 29, 2006

Can't say enough good things about The Maya Spa, between Cabanas Copa and Azulik s. of Tulum. Wonderful, caring staff, a lovely list of physical therapies, sensous experiences and spiritual entrees to the Mayan mystery. And their Mayan shaman offers an amazing gift of realignment. Check out the website: ----. It's glorious!

5  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
A TripAdvisor Member
Champaign, Illinois
Reviewed July 5, 2005

In mid May my wife and I spent five wonderfully relaxing days at the Cabana Copal in Tulum. While there we treated ourselves to the Maya Spa which is on the same grounds as the beautiful, rustic, seaview cabanas that we stayed in. I have been annoyed by persistent aching knees, for many years, caused by degenerative arthritis and decided to have a massage given by Daniela Pool Pech. Daniela is a Shaman and immediately his hands found the source of my problem (my knees), he gently massaged them and told me that he would bring some medication for them the next morning. As promised he was there with what I now call a miracle potion which I applied to my knees each morning. Within one week the herbs had a positive effect and I am now pain free and have renewed mobility. I am aware of the skepticism that this review may generate. However the results are real to me and I suggest to the skeptics among you that you give it a try. My wife and I are already planning our next vacation at this location...we highly recommend it for a relaxing no frills stay.

10  Thank A TripAdvisor Member