“Suenos is amazing!”

and 1 more site!
Suenos Tulum
Ranked #32 of 99 Hotels in Tulum
Reviewed May 12, 2008

Suenos Tulum just reopened after some legal action and repair from the hurricane. It is truly an amazing place, breathtaking views and the most lovely hosts, George and Elizabeth and their beautiful family. I cannot express enough how beautiful this place is and how wonderful George and Elizabeth are. GO NOW before the rest of the world discovers it!!!

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled with friends
2  Thank darshananne

Reviewed May 7, 2008

My wife and I stayed at Suenos two years ago. The location was heaven on earth. The beach was breathtaking. The night sky was straight out of a fairy tale. The room was simple but exactly as expected for a palapa in an eco resort in Tulum. George and Elizabeth were perfect hosts. If you need a TV or cell phone, this is not for you. If you want romance with only the ocean breeze and waves crashing a stone throw from your room, this is the place.

My understanding is they closed as a result of an illegal attempt to take over their property. It was a shame to see that happen. Looks like good prevailed over evil in the long run.

George and Elizabeth's artistic talent is found throughout the property. Each unit has a personal touch. We can’t wait to return.

• Stayed: July 2006, traveled as a couple
5  Thank KenJohnson
Reviewed May 3, 2008

Last month I started to look for a hotel in the Tulum area. We had previously been at Suenos about two years ago and heard the terrible news they had been close. One day I was browsing and heard the news they we re-opened. I immediately sent a e-mail to them to see what was going on, and if it was true.
([--])

They told me they were back on track and we decided to see it for ourselves! As we got there, we were talking about our past experience and how much we had liked it.

The place is wonderful! I couldn't believe how fast everything got back together. The place looks great. There is new energy circulating the area. I hope I will be back soon! It is an incredible place with such a special treat. Staff is wonderful and the beach is incredible!

• Stayed: April 2008, traveled as a couple
2  Thank maricruz
Reviewed July 23, 2006

My wife and I visited Tulum in February, we stayed at Suenos for 3 nights in a ground floor (?) room. Our overall experience was very good. This was our first visit to Suenos and our first trip together without our children in quite some time so a lot was riding on it if you know what I mean.

We used this website to do some research about Tulum and Suenos and now that we've visited can say that most of what you read hear is accurate and gives you a realistic idea of what to expect. That is to say in Tulum you certainly can find some elegant accomodations and restaurants if you are looking and some shops in town carry higher end goods but there are a lot more rustic, unsophisticated shops and lodgings that give it the laid back, undeveloped reputation you might have heard about.

As for Suenos specifically, we enjoyed it overall. Our room did not have an ocean view which was a surprice but we got over it quickly. We enjoyed the food, loved the beach and found the staff to be helpful and friendly.

We would return to Tulum and Suenos. Happy trails.

• Stayed: February 2006, traveled as a couple
4  Thank mariatafoni
Reviewed June 7, 2006

Suenos was just beautiful and truly relaxing. The staff is wonderful especially Alan. This resort is in Tulum and is quaint and easy going. Remember it is an eco resort, so if this is not for you I would heald to Playa Del Carmen. The beach is gorgeous and the beach beds make for perfect relaxing. All the food we had was great. The rooms were unique and always clean. Can't wait to go back.

• Stayed: May 2006
12  Thank ohiomel
Reviewed May 23, 2006

There were things I loved about Suenos and things I didn't like at all. The view was gorgeous from our room, we stayed in the master suite. The ceiling fan was very efficient. The beach was incredible and smooth.

Unfortunately we had problems with our toliet. It wouldn't flush, then it would run and overflow. The manager and the plumber supposely checked it many times but we were stuck using the community bathroom most of the time. Like another reviewer, I found that the cleaning staff did not clean the sand on the floors and we ended up with endless sand in our bed.

We also had the same situation as the other reviewer, our rooms flooded through the sliding doors the 2 days it rained. I have a feeling we were in the same room as the other reviewer because we were on the 3rd floor and our toliet didn't work either. That would be really unfortunate if they hadn't fixed the toliet yet.

I think a lot of the small eco lodges are like this but it made us a little nervous that someone was not there in the late evening. Our cell phones did not work in Tulum and it made us nervous if there was to be an emergency.

Unfortunately we would not stay at Suenos again.

• Stayed: May 2006
19  Thank littlepom
Reviewed May 1, 2006

This place is absolutely beautiful and peaceful, and the staff is extremely kind and helpful. Sleeping all night to the sound of the waves and the breeze was awesome. The beach and water are wonderful, and the beach stretches in both directions as far as you could want to go, with hardly any people. The torchlight at night was cool! The food at Sueños is great if you choose to eat dinner there rather than venture out, you can request beverages during the day, and there are great places to eat up and down the beach. The road is now paved all the way to Sueños and beyond, to the Biosphere a couple of kilometers to the south.

Suggestions: Take a flashlight, or better yet some of glow sticks (snap lights), for walking around at night, especially along the beach back to Sueños after dinner at the nearby restaurants and even for supplemental light on the patio/deck for reading. I was told that October to December is when the water is normally calmer for snorkeling. It wasn’t calm enough for that in April. For excursions, I liked Hidden Worlds (snorkeling in underground cenotes), Xel-Há (snorkeling), and the Tulum ruins with its souvenir shops and awesome little beach.

Feel free to e-mail me with questions!

• Stayed: April 2006