“Dream Wedding”

Ranked #40 of 95 Hotels in Tulum
New York
“Dream Wedding”
Reviewed March 15, 2009

We got married at Ana y Jose in Nov 2008 and could not have been happier with the hotel, the staff, the service, and the planning. The service was impeccable, food was delicious, and Jackie, who planned our wedding, was a true pleasure to work with. Our guests comfort was the number one priority for our wedding weekend, since many were family who were somewhat nervous about coming to Mexico. The staff made them feel right at home and were calling them by their first names by the time they left. Our guests were a mix of family and friends from all over the world and everyone enjoyed the diversity of Tulum; the welcome party at Ana y Jose, and the wedding ceremony at the Beach Club. The hotel offers the entire package for a dream wedding in an off the beaten path destination; with professional experience and overwhelming service.

• Stayed November 2008, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (66)
NYC area
Reviewed February 24, 2009

The first time I visited Tulum, I knew I wanted to share this place with my friends and family and be married here. But then came the question of HOW?!

After doing a lot of research, my husband and I did a scout trip. We were deciding between A&J and another Tulum location. Most places in Tulum are very small, so if you plan to have more than 20 guests, the venue will probably require rentals. We chose A&J because they had everything on hand and had experience with weddings. A&J is also the only venue with a wedding coordinator. With A&J you have a choice of the beach club or hotel. With the hotel you must book all the hotel rooms for 5 nights min. if you want to have a wedding there. I spoke with people who did that and loved it, but I wasn’t sure if all of my guests were able to spend that much time in Tulum. We decided on the beach club. We stayed at another hotel and went to the beach club for the ceremony and reception. We also booked the suite above the beach club for the night so we would have some where to get ready and relax after the wedding.

Positives:
- A y J has a monopoly on the Tulum wedding market. Some people may view this as a bad thing, but it has proved to me that it means that THEY KNOW WHAT THEY ARE DOING!
- Food - Our meal was absolutely delicious. The night prior to our wedding, we had one of the best meals of my life at Hechizo. I thought nothing could follow that, but the wedding food was absolutely delicious. We picked a menu of foods from the Yucatan region.
- Cake - I was pleasantly surprised by how good the cake was! I am a big time sweets person and love to bake, and even I was really impressed. A guest of my wedding is a professional baker, she also thought highly of the cake.
- Bridal Suite – Nice large space with a TV, big bathroom and balcony. Great place to get ready with bridesmaids. Electricity and AC.
- Staff - like I said... they know what they are doing.

The only part where I was slightly disappointed was with the flowers. They have a very limited selection. Basically, what you see on the site is what you get with not much variation. Some people thought they were really beautiful, but I thought they were just average. I do admit I maybe slightly biased because I have a lot of experience in decorating and event planning. Just keep it simple and let the beauty of the scenery be the focal point.

I found myself very frustrated when trying to explain things to the florist. I scanned and photoshopped images and posted them online so that the florist could get a better idea of what I wanted. Even with that, it felt at times that I wasn’t being clear or that she wouldn’t explain that she only had a few materials to work with. However, I am thrilled that this was basically the biggest problem I had when planning my wedding.

I recommend:
- Do I a visit and meet with Jackie face to face
- Not to expect too much with flowers
- Preparing a song list
- Not to stress about the small charges – you may see a charge for a microphone or something small like that. I am not sure why they don’t just bulk them all together. While doing my due diligence for the wedding, the #1 thing people complained about was the microphone.
- Writing clear emails to Jackie
- If you have any computer skills, I highly recommend putting together a page or collage of images to express what you what when it comes to flowers and decorations.
- Bring EVERYTHING. Portable clothes steamer, programs, makeup, hair styling tools, iPod.
- Ask for the disco dance floor

Overall, I would definitely recommend using A&J over anywhere else in Tulum. All of my guests had an amazing time, and the setting was one to remember.

• Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
2 Thank dotska
North Carolina
Reviewed February 11, 2009

We found this lovely hotel just as described in the website. Ana y Jose is a truly a charming hotel and spa. We were greeted with warm smiles and a glass of champagne. Our cabana was beautifully decorated and very comfortable. We enjoyed the food, especially breakfast, on the deck overlooking the water. Full service is also available on the beach. We especially liked the package that included rental car and spa treatments. The staff at Ana y Jose
took care of every need and were always available. We will be making a return trip next year.

• Liked — The decor and comfort of the room and the beach.
  • Disliked — I liked everything about Ana y Jose!
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank mwjack
Washington, DC
Reviewed February 9, 2009

We stayed for 7 days at Ana y Jose and had a fabulous time. Our room was Estrella, above the restaurant with a private deck overlooking the beach. The staff were all phenomenally friendly, professional and accommodating. The food in the restaurant was good, and we ate there for every breakfast as well as several nights, though we also tried the neighboring hotels and Tulum town for meals. The beach is just beautiful, and it was a kick walking around in the sand all the time (since the restaurant floor is sand as well.) The spa treatments were nice, but not a highlight of our visit. We would love to return some day!

• Liked — Very charming environment
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank happycamper2003
london
Reviewed January 12, 2009

Our daughter and son in law had stayed at Ana y Jose earlier in the year and decided this would be a perfect place to spend a family Christmas. It far surpassed our expectations. The location is perfect, miles of empty, sandy beach. The staff (especially the concierge) were helpful, friendly and efficient. Spa treatments outstanding. We had read some reviews about noise shortly before leaving - all we could hear the whole time we were there was the sound of the sea.

We would love to go back one day.

Stayed December 2008
2 Thank jacquie6London
Bethesda, Maryland
Reviewed January 5, 2009

We stayed this past week over New Years at Ana y Jose, with our two teen-aged daughters, and were very well taken care of from the minute we got out of the car. No problems, no worries was the theme of the week. The food was great, the beach bar serving staff was attentive, everything was clean, relaxed and efficient. The beach sand is like white flour, it is so soft and fine-grained. There were always enough palapas, lounge chairs and shade for anyone who wanted it. The guests were an eclectic mix of Europeans, some Americans and Mexican families, so we felt we weren't at just another resort on a generic, all-
inclusive tropical beach. The beach slopes very gently, and had great surf for boogy boards almost the entire time. No hesitation at all about a total recommendation - can't wait to return!

• Liked — The simple, relaxed ambience and elegant design of the facility.
  • Disliked — Late in the day, hot water could run short...
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled with family
2 Thank greenthumb
Los Angeles
Reviewed December 25, 2008

We just left and are actually in Cancun now. Gotta say, The Ana Y Jose is really charming and just what you need when you want to unwind. We stayed during Christmas from the 20th to the 25th. The Encantada is a perfect room. Great view of the ocean and it is an upstairs room. Three of the rooms at the resort have this perfect view. I'd choose carefully. They have maps online.

The staff is really nice. Bring a book and don't stress... the beach seats don't fill up and there's never a wait to sit for a meal. It's just chill.

Here's some honest information too that might help:

The Ana Y Jose has a deal where you get a rental car with the property. We had a direct flight from from Los Angeles and it happened to be the earliest flight they have on Mexicana. It still gets in close to dark. The drive to Tulum is tough if you are new. It is sometimes hard to see the road clearly and drivers come right up on your tail when they want to pass. Don't get mad. Just move over. That's how it works here. Also drive slow even if everyone else is speeding. The bumps in the road can show up with no warning.

Wind is abundant in Tulum. We were just concerned about the sun but never thought about wind. Some days it's more more windy then others. But it's a great wind and warm. Also the waves aren't calm but not major either. They are fun for playing in the water and you'll always hear them rolling in. It's romantic and a welcome sound.

Water pressure is really low all over Tulum. You will just have to live with that "beachy" feel. It's really worth it.

I wasn't crazy about our sunset nature tour by boat (an outside organization). We had a different image of what it was going to be. They are very proud of how ecologically conscious they are in Tulum. That's part of what makes the place so amazing. Just don't expect luxury on any outing. If it ain't your thing just hang out at the resort. It's always cush there.

For sugarcane mojitos go to Zebras. We also had an amazing meal at Hechizo which isn't advertised. Also great Thai food at Mezzanine. Really fresh.

Ana Y Jose is one of the only joints in Tulum that has great service. Some people in reviews have complained about the service. I was there the busiest time of year. All i had to do to get a drink on the beach (if they didn't come to me first) was walk 10 feet and signal a waiter. We ate lunch on the beach, had room service several times (with no apparent extra charge) and had an amazing christmas dinner there.

I'm good at researching online and specifically picked Ana Y Jose for it's cleanliness, price, air conditioning, comfort and beach. When you take a walk up and down the beach it's easy to tell that this place and Azul Blue (but they have a cliff... no beach) are the best in the area. Enjoy!

• Stayed December 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
9 Thank shadabing