“Excellent hotel, perfect location and very friendly staff.”

Ana y Jose Charming Hotel & Spa
Ranked #42 of 99 Hotels in Tulum
Reviewed December 29, 2013

We stayed here on our honeymoon and absolutely loved it and did not want to leave. We stayed in the garden view room with our own private pool. Property was very well maintained and rooms are spacious. There are cheaper places to stay in Tulum but this was very luxurious and had air con etc whereas some don't even have electricity at night!
Tulum is amazing, and there is some really great bars and restaurants in this area.

• Stayed: December 2013
Ana y Jose T, Public Relations Manager at Ana y Jose Charming Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded January 16, 2014

We love to know that you got a great time in your honeymoon…please come back in your first anniversary!

ANA Y JOSE
TULUM

Reviewed December 26, 2013

My husband and I just returned from a 10 night stay in a superior garden view suite at Ana y Jose Charming Hotel & Spa.

We flew into the Cancun airport. I booked roundtrip ground transportation directly with USA Transfers for a fee of $145 US dollars, tip not included. It was a very smooth and easy internet transaction. USA Transfers also provided detailed instructions on where to meet our driver who was very friendly and operated a clean and well maintained vehicle.

After the 90 minute ride to the hotel, we found the check-in process to be fast and efficient.

The grounds at Ana y Jose's are beautifully kept, including the pool areas. We shared a pool with 3 other rooms. We found it well maintained as well and a great place for a quick dip!

We were extremely pleased with our room, found it well stocked daily with toiletries, complimentary bottled water and lots of fresh towels. During the evening turn-down service the housekeeper restocked our room with fresh bath as well as beach towels, closed the shutters and lit a candle. Upon our return from dinner each evening we could always count on a sweet smelling room, as well as fresh beach towels for our early morning swims.

If you're a light sleeper, I would suggest you pack a pair of ear plugs as the exotic birds wake daily at 6a. The road traffic also begins at this hour. The noise is not unique to Ana y Jose's. No matter where you stay in the Tulum hotel zone you will encounter bird and traffic noise early in the morning until midnight or so each night. It didn't bother us one bit, but light sleepers should be prepared.

I would also suggest bringing a small flashlight with you. The sun sets at 6p, so if you wish to walk to one of the other hotels for dinner you'll have an easier time of it whether taking the road or beach.

Ana y Jose's boasts a bar and one restaurant. The drinks offered here were fantastic! We also found the breakfasts, as well as lunches to be terrific too. (Tip: Order the oatmeal for breakfast. It's made with sweet milk, a little honey and vanilla, with a whisper of cinnamon - yummy!) The seafood selections at dinner were excellent in my opinion, but the chicken and pork entrees could use some improving according to my non-fish eating spouse.

The service we received at the restaurant whether it was breakfast, lunch or dinner was always outstanding! Pablo, Tania and the rest of the staff are committed to ensuring that you have an enjoyable dining experience! Another added bonus is shoes aren't required, nor are they needed in the restaurant - it's all sand, so leave your expensive heels at home!

Ana y Jose's sits on the best part of the beach, offers towel service along with comfortable beach chairs, umbrellas and tables too! You will not be disappointed in their beach - it's gorgeous!!!

We did dine out on a few occasions. Here is a listing of the places that offered fantastic food and great service.

Mateo's Mexican Grille (lunch or dinner)
Posado Margherita (dinner - features fresh made pasta)
Ziggy's (dinner)
Casa Banana (lunch)
Playa Azul (lunch)

My husband and I prefer to keep busy and explore while on vacation. Here's a listing of our activities.

1. Took a taxi into the puebla of Tulum - it cost around 100 pesos. All taxis accept US dollars, but ask the price before getting into the car because the price can differ depending on their mood. We had a terrific lunch at Don Cafeto's - authentic Mexican food with live music and a great location for people watching.
2. Took a taxi to the Tulum ruins site - it also cost 100 pesos. Go in the morning while it's cool and less crowded. The site opens at 8a. The admission price is 57 pesos --- please note that this must be paid in pesos. The park does not accept credit cards or US dollars. You may also hire a private guide after you've paid your admission to the park - the price varies depending on how many in your group.
3. Rent bikes for the day. The cost ranges between 100 and 120 pesos for a daily rental. The closest place to Ana y Jose's to rent bikes is at the Playa Azul Hotel, which is a short walk from the hotel. Be sure to inspect the bikes first, as the inventory and condition of the bikes can vary from place to place. Be sure to bring your credit card and drivers license with you at time of rental. Only one person in your party needs to present these items. They will take an imprint of your card and hold your drivers license until you return the bikes, at which point the credit card carbons will be shredded while you watch.
4. Book a snorkel trip to Akumal beach. We saw large sea turtles, an eagle ray and a southern sting ray while on this trip. The reef here is also excellent for snorkeling. Snorkel a cenote. We snorkeled Dos Ojos (2 eyes), which offers you the opportunity to snorkel 2 cenotes at one location. We booked this entire afternoon snorkel with Mexi Divers, which is a 40 pesos cab ride from Ana y Jose's.
5. Visit Sian Ka'an, the biosphere reserve. We took the afternoon canal tour, which offered a boat ride through various canals, plus the opportunity to get out of the boat and float through the canal while our guide shared information on the history of the area, as well as the plant and bird life found there. After the canal tour, we returned to the education center for a delicious dinner while we watched the sun set. Check with the front desk at Ana y Jose's for the other available tours offered at Sian Ka'an. They can arrange them for you at no additional charge and they include roundtrip transportation to the reserve. The canal tour cost $170 total for two.
6. Day trip to Coba ruin site, which is about 90 minutes from Tulum. This park is larger than Tulum and is home to the tallest pyramid in the Yucatan peninsula at 138 feet. After visiting Coba, it's just a short 20 minute commute to the Punta LaGuna Nature Reserve. Lots to see and do here as well! We hired a private guide that we met at the biosphere in order to visit both of these destinations. A memorable day for sure!

Tulum is not commercially overdeveloped like a lot of other tourist towns in Mexico. Tulum is pricey compared to Cancun, Cozumel and the all-inclusive resorts situated along the Mayan Riviera, but it's a different kind of experience.

A large number of the hotels in the hotel zone are very basic, a lot of which don't offer air conditioned rooms, but Ana y Jose's is one of the few that do. Keep this in mind when researching hotels. I highly recommend Ana y Jose's Charming Hotel & Spa if you prefer to vacation in a more elegant setting offering terrific customer service, as well as fine food and liquor.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
12  Thank ladycdrive
Ana y Jose T, Guest Relations Manager at Ana y Jose Charming Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded January 16, 2014

Thank you so much for your detail review, this will be very helpful for all of our future guest…

love you,

ANA Y JOSE
TULUM

Reviewed December 19, 2013

I booked this hotel via American Express Holidays. On my second night at the hotel, the restaurant served me a complimentary salmon carpaccio. The next morning I woke up ill and spent the rest of my stay lying in bed. On my last day, as my fever kept rising, I asked the hotel to find me a doctor. They said a doctor could visit me in my room for $100, cash-only. I looked in my wallet and only had $80. The hotel said the ATM in their lobby was broken. So I asked them for a cash advance to cover the remainder and they said sorry. I asked them to just charge it to my room, again they said that wasn't possible. In the end, the poor doctor agreed to come for the $80 and didn't charge me for the 3 sets of medicines he had to prescribe. At least he was able to show some understanding. I am trying to get a partial refund in the very least from American Express, who are disputing it on my behalf

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled solo
7  Thank dehesh983
Ana y Jose T, Public Relations Manager at Ana y Jose Charming Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded December 20, 2013

We are sorry to read about your experience with some food poison, your comment is already with the managing director to review procedures in case somebody need cash.
Our system do not aloud employees get cash-out for any reason for accounting procedures.

We wish you a very nice Christmas time

Ana y Jose
Tulum

Reviewed December 11, 2013

We stayed in one of the Ocean-view Suites ( Agua de Mar ) and it was lovely. The room was spacious, clean and well appointed, not to mention directly on the beach. The room had a private pool which was clean and a nice way to cool off if you didn't want to go in the ocean. One of my favorite parts of this type of room was the dedicated raised sun bed so that you weren't directly on the sand and it was very comfortable. Each of the Ocean-view Suites had one of these dedicated sun beds.
The breakfast was very good, but the dinner menu could use a little help. And the hot stone massage I got in their spa was one of the best I have ever had! The staff was lovely and very accommodating! The couple we went with had an equally great time. Thanks for a lovely stay for a first time guest!

Room Tip: We loved Aqua de Mar. Really spacious and right next to the beach. It has a private pool that isn...
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed December 11, 2013

My sister and I have just returned from a 5 night stay at the hotel at the end of a 3 week tour of Mexico. It was quite simply idyllic. I have been lucky enough to visit many wonderful places in the world and this certainly ranks in my top 10. The location is amazing and the ambiance manages to be both elegant and relaxed at the same time. Comments about mediocre food and service probably come from travellers who prefer to stay in large anonymous hotels. All the food we sampled was delicious and elegantly presented by waiting staff who could not have been more friendly or charming. The reviewer who saw food leaving the restaurant was probably unaware that food could be served to clients anywhere on site, including on the beach!!
I had the misfortune of having an accident at the ruins in Tulum and was hospitalized for 1 night . The hotel manager, Ignacio actually came to visit me in hospital and after my discharge the staff did everything possible to ensure my comfort and to help with the arrangements to get me home.
This was an unforgettable stay - and we will definitely be returning.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank LizB88
Reviewed December 11, 2013

There is no other beach, hotel, or even little spa like Ana y Jose. And with good reason, they've been doing it longer than anyone else on the strip. If you are looking for pure beach pleasure and beauty, with excellent food, no pretention and that Robinson Crusoe like palm trees, bare feet in the sand experience, this is it. Tulum is one of the most beautiful beaches and places in the world. The food and the service at Ana y Jose is wonderful. The rooms are lovely, each one with its own charm and its perfect for families (who don't need malls and kids clubs to relax), yogis, and those who just want to get away from it all literally. A must stay, at least once in your life...you'll keep coming back for more and more. Book early in advance as the best rooms go fast. This is a popular destination for east coast worker bees and families who tend to go in the winter, spring and early summer months.

Room Tip: The rooms facing the ocean and on the ocean side of the property are the best. There are however lov...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank SMLEYE
Reviewed December 11, 2013

Me and my now wife had our wedding two weeks ago at Ana Y Jose Beach club and we stayed at Ana y Jose Charming hotel. We live in Norway which means that our logistics and full organization had to be handled and dealt with remotely.

We established communication with Claudia, who is the wedding planner, early february, and I gotta confess that since she took very long to answer almost every of my firsts emails, I grew some skepticism about the place due to the high prices and very slow response to my questions.

Long story short, over time, things got better and better. The day of the wedding, we were just wowed by the whole beauty of the place. We had guests from Norway, Sweden, Australia, USA, Spain, etc, and all of them gave infinite compliments to the food, location and overall experience saying it was the most beautiful place and wedding they had attended. Claudia fixed everything so efficiently and made our day a very special one.

Ana y Jose was great, rooms clean and neat, service was great and the manager, who is a guy from Argentina, was at our wedding and at the hotel and always asking if we needed anything. They made our stay wonderful, my wife is norwegian and she just felt in paradise.

Negatives about this hotel: Yes, it is a bit overpriced, and yes, the food is not great. But hey, they do not force you to eat there and there are a lot of great restaurants walking distance from there and cheaper, which also gives you the chance to explore the area.

Things they could improve on: Food and basic use items such as sunscreen lotion, shampoo, etc are quite overpriced, a bit too much if I must say. Food is not that great, mostly breakfast is quite bad and service at the front desk could improve some.

All in all, I wil recommend to stay there at least once or have your wedding. A shame that i cannot afford to go back there as often as I would like since their room prices are more expensive than the plane tickets from Norway to Mexico.

Room Tip: If you like to hear the ocean and are willing to spend some extra bucks, stay at the ocean view suit...
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple