“Failed to live up to our expectations...”

Ana y Jose Charming Hotel & Spa
Ranked #41 of 92 Hotels in Tulum
Bristol, Tennessee
“Failed to live up to our expectations...”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 20, 2013

This holiday was spent with my husband, son, and his wife. The last week of our stay was at Ana y Jose'. Upon our arrival, we were delighted with the location of our room. We stayed in the ocean front Jr. Suite that is located directly in front of the beach and just a few more feet to the water's edge. But, we soon realized that there were things that we hadn't expected... the suite and verandah were very small, the lighting in the bathroom was extremely dim, the internet was almost useless, and the location of my son's suite was set in the middle of the area where everyone walks to the beach and directly in front of the restaurant. Not as charming or intimate has we had anticipated, for sure.
Turn-down service was very well done. No problem with that service and greatly appreciated.
As we walked around the facility (extremely small), I noticed that the standard rooms were unacceptably close to each-other, with balcony's facing the building just a few feet away (no view whatsoever). Had this been a room that I had paid considerably for, I would have been sick.
There is a Restroom Facility located next to the Entrance Walkway that reeked of sewage through-out the entire stay. I think that this is permanent, and not just an unusual occurrence. The swimming pool is very small and really doesn't add to the property. That area would have been much more wisely utilized, had they spread the buildings out and offered their guests a better experience.
The restaurant at the resort was extremely over-priced and the food quality was the worst we had eaten while in Mexico. The service was okay, with the exception of one morning during breakfast... I had ordered the fruit plate with bacon. The young lady that brought our food to the table didn't speak English, and I didn't receive my meal with the others. I told her that I wanted the Fruit Plate and she related the "order" to my server. A few moments later, the server came to the table and surprisingly proceeded to rudely explain that I could only order one meal and that it would be to the table when it was ready (it was just fruit)!
I told her that I did not make an additional order, I was just trying to find out about the order I had previously placed. She was very argumentative and even her body language was confrontational. It was at this point that I told her to please leave, I would be happy to WAIT for my breakfast to arrive, even though it was the last to be brought to the table. A few minutes later, I saw her speaking with the Manager. She was pointing at me and gesturing with her arms in the same confrontational manner she had displayed at our table. A few minutes later, she came over and "apologized", but in a fashion that said I had done something wrong??? Needless to say, this was our last meal at Ana y Jose'.
Overall, the service was mediocre. Certainly not close to what we had experienced at Secrets Capri in Playa del Carmen. It seemed that any need our group had, was never satisfied (and we aren't difficult people to please).
I have stayed in several different countries and in a variety of accommodations. This was by far, the most disappointing. If we go back to Tulum, it most certainly will not be at this over-priced property. There are many others that are less expensive and much more accommodating to choose from within walking distance from this one.

Room Tip: Consider another resort, with rainy day activities to offer. This one does not justify the price tha...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Laura_mauigirl_1
Ana y Jose T, Manager at Ana y Jose Charming Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, September 21, 2013
Thank you for your time in review your experience with us, the amenities in our cabañas are set up on different ways to please a world of request options, we will review our restaurant service and get better every day for all of you.

Best wishes
Ana y Jose

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (63)
Lascassas, TN
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 9, 2013

My husband and I spent a much needed vacation last week at Ana y Jose Charming Hotel and Spa. The guestrooms, grounds, beach and service were just superb. Weren't aware when we planned the trip that September and October are the rainy months there, but it was no problem at all. We were able to chill to the point that any thoughts of shopping, excursions, etc. were out the window. The beach there is the most beautiful I've ever seen and is maintained to the max. Hotel employees could be seen early in the morning raking the little bit of seaweed that had dared to wash up in the surf. The drinks were TOO good, and while we didn't have dinner there, the breakfasts were great. Loved the place!

Room Tip: We stayed in Brisa del Mar. Right on the beach, king bed, no stairs to negotiate. The pool was rig...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Ana y Jose T, Manager at Ana y Jose Charming Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, September 11, 2013
Thank your for your time in review your stay, we love to hear that you had wonderful time, we hope to welcome you again in tulum....

Regards
London, England, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 27, 2013

I have been going to Ana y Jose’s off and on for the past 15 years. I have spent many a happy day there, with cold Corona and boogie board. Sadly, that all came crashing to an end at my last visit.
I had dinner there with a party of 10. It was grossly over-priced and while ok food, a very poor value. It would be pretty easy to find better food and better ambience for less money elsewhere in the area.
When I looked at what they charged me the next morning, it was clear that not only was the food and drink over-priced, it was equally clear that they had mistakenly over-charged me for food I did not order. I swung by the next day and asked for a correction – and even though they acknowledged the over-charging, they refused to give me a refund. Instead, they told me I had to take it up with American Express, which is a complete load of nonsense.
In short, what was once a lovely, laid-back beach joint has become a pretentious, over-priced and unethical sham. It really makes me sad, but it is what it now is and I would recommend people to stay away.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
11 Thank BHFRENCH
Ana y Jose T, Manager at Ana y Jose Charming Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, September 2, 2013
Thank you for your time in review your experience, your comment is very important for us and we will review your case, please send a note direct to the general manager.

Warm Regards
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 12, 2013

We didn't stay at the hotel but went to the restaurant to have an early dinner. The location is simply fantastic, in a beachfront palapa where we not only enjoyed the view and the wonderful breeze but the best ceviche ever, and a grouper to die for, served on top of fresh tomatoes and plantains on a cedar plank. We will be back!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Ana y Jose T, Public Relations Manager at Ana y Jose Charming Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, August 14, 2013
Thank you for review your experience with us....we love to serve you all!

Boulder
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 3, 2013

This was our first trip to Tulum (no high rise hotels, banana boats, loud thumping music, etc!), and, obviously, our first stay at Ana y Jose. It was just what we wanted: Small, beautiful, clean, authentic, friendly, relaxing... At this time of year, it was not crowded, and if you stay near the water and the breeze, not too hot. Our servers were friendly and fun - Tania, Antonio, Octavio, and the food was really fresh and good. We will return again soon!

Room Tip: We were originally booked into the room that sits, on its own, by the pool. It seemed exposed, not...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank MEMiner
Ana y Jose T, Public Relations Manager at Ana y Jose Charming Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, August 5, 2013
For your time in review your stay with us we thank you so much...we love to serve all our guest and hope to see you in your next visit to Tulum

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 22, 2013

This hotel was fantastic, the location was paradise, the service was brilliant and the food incredible! The room was very spacious and there are beds and hammocks on the beach. We bought a pineapple in the local supermarket and so asked the restaurant if we could borrow a knife to cut it, to which they said they would do it for us and bring it to our room, and five minutes later they knocked on the door with it perfectly cut and dressed with cherries. It just shows that the staff would go above the norm to provide excellent service, we found all the staff polite and helpful.
However if you wanted to go into the town it was not walking distance, however there are plenty of restaurants nearby within the hotels which line the beach.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank BenGunn
Ana y Jose T, Public Relations Manager at Ana y Jose Charming Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, July 24, 2013
For your time in review your stay, we thank you so much, we always do our best for your comfort during your stay in Tulum

Los Angeles, California
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 9, 2013

Unfortunately, this experience was a big let down. We were expecting a lot from the restaurant at Ana Y Jose. It is a beautiful hotel but unfortunately they just don't have service or the menu to match it. When you charge as much as they do, you really have to know what you are doing. The food was bland, the service was terrible. Everyone seemed so unhappy. It looks as if service in the hotel is lacking as well. Their beachfront is not manicured or cared for. When you are paying 600$/night, hospitality and all that it means is a must.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your time in review your stay, your comment about service and our restaurant menu is already on our managing director desk, we will do our best to get much better for your next stay...At Ana y Jose we love trying to get better every day...