“Beautiful place to stay, but...”

Ana y Jose Charming Hotel & Spa
Ranked #41 of 92 Hotels in Tulum
San Francisco, CA
“Beautiful place to stay, but...”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 2, 2013

We stayed here in April of 2013 for 10 days and had a great time. We stayed in the room Amanacer which was a little bungalow steps from the beach. The room was cute and quaint and we found that the restaurant and beach staff was super friendly and fun. We had a few favorites and tipped them well. The only glitch we had was with the housekeeping. The first day we hung out the sign to clean our room at 8:00am and it did not get cleaned until 6:00pm. Other days it was 2:00-3:00pm before housekeeping came and sometimes only after we would call the front desk and one or two days they came mid morning. We always hung the housekeeping sign out around 8:00am. It was kind of difficult to feel like you could shower, change, nap etc. in the middle of the day if housekeeping had not been there. Also, one day only one bath towel was left, some days the bottle of complimentary water was not left (important in Mexico) and sometimes the mini bar water was not replenished. We called the front desk mid trip about these issues but it didn't seem to change the service. I have stayed at less expensive places while traveling and had consistent housekeeping. I would note that we traveled with two other couples and they did not have any issues with housekeeping. On our departure date we called for late checkout (1:00pm) and was told it was not a problem and when I went to settle the bill at noon they did not have it written down and told us that housekeeping needed to get into our room right away to clean it for the next guest. I wish we could have had that kind of service throughout our stay. I would go back here to stay with some reservations. They really just need to get their housekeeping consistent.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank SFDaniel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (63)
Cape Town Central, South Africa
common_n_hotel_reviews_1bd8 1,158 helpful votes
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 29, 2013

Tulum beaches is one of the nicest in the world and Ana y Jose have a nice piece of it--but not the best which in my opinion is near Om's Cafe. There are strong waves near this stretch of beach so not for unconfident swimmers.

The beach side loungers and restaurant overlooking the sea are lovely as is the small pool in the garden.

Wait service was friendly but very slow even though it was a quiet Sunday. My sister's cocktail never arrived despite two requests and waiting 1.5 hours. When I paid the bill and we pointed this out the waiter cheerfully acknowledged the cocktail had never been delivered but made no apology and offered no explanation for not delivering it (and we speak Spanish).

I had the worst guacamole in my life here. Very bland and covered in cheese shavings.

My family ate here for dinner over the Christmas holidays and we thought we might have caught them on an off day, but obviously not by our expereince this weekend and other reviewers' comments.

It's very expensive and not worth it.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Bsegroup, Manager at Ana y Jose Charming Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, May 1, 2013
Thank you for your time in review your experience with us, we will follow up on your comment about service.
I hope we can welcome you again in your next stay in Tulum

Regads
Newton, Massachusetts, United States
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 27, 2013 via mobile

After coming here for 12 years, I can safely say we won't be returning any time soon. If you enjoyed the old Ana y Jose, too bad because this ain't it. We stopped by for an expensive but mediocre lunch and after lunch when we walked to the beach we were asked for $20 each to sit in a chair on the beach at which point we left.

Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank DavidFromMass
Wisconsin
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 23, 2013

We did not stay at this hotel, but we decided to eat at the restaurant. My boyfriend had the pork -shish kebab and I had the grouper. The grouper was bland - needed more flavor. The pork shish kebab - one was thin sliced - dry and very tough to eat, the other a little thicker - but dry, little easier to eat but lacking in flavor. The food that evening could have used a lot more flavor. Our waitstaff person was friendly enough - however seemed to be more interested in chatting with other guests and ignoring our table at of times. Service was slow - even though there was only 4 other tables with people. Just as we were finishing our dinner a waitstaff person, gave insect repellent to guests that was seated next to us, those guest proceeded to spray insect repellent on themselves in the eating area - I was aghast! It's okay to provide insect repellent - but please ask your dinner guests to step out side the restaurant to apply. To say the least my boyfriend and I were disappointed in our dinner experience at Ana Y Joses.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Bsegroup, Manager at Ana y Jose Charming Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, April 24, 2013
Kay, thank you so much for your review, we will work in our kitchen, hope that you can come back in your next visit to Tulum.

Naples, Florida
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 23, 2013

ROOMS: I stayed in a beach front room for 5 days in April. My room was over the bar. It was poorly lit and barely ventilated ... and the ceiling fan did not work. Luckily there was a small air conditioner - which was great as it is humid and very windy (so you cant leave the french doors open). The bathroom was nice, but water pressure was poor. A friend rented the house. It is absolutely gorgeous and he had none of the problems I mentioned... but it is near the back of the property - away from the beach and I wanted to hear the waves.
RESTAURANT: Breakfast is included. Fresh Oj is wonderful. Breakfast average. After several meals I found the eggs Benedict the best. Lunch was poor. I ordered a salad. The greens were solely cilantro. So I ordered some spinach. It was tough. DINNER on the other hand was perfect. Perhaps a different chef?
BEACH: Spotless, water clear, but REALLY big waves. Fun to watch the Kite boarders but best to swim in the pool - which is kept very clean.
Surroundings: Hippy Palm Beach meets Cape Hatteras.
Day trip: Punta Allen ~ it's the real deal.
TIPS: Often included... so be VERY careful (It took us several days to catch on). If not included add 10%
WARNING: This is Mexico. Roads and pavements are not that well maintained - even on PRICEY hotel property.
To make my point: On our last night, I was the designated driver walking along the hotel pathway to the parking lot. There wide was a step down. No problem had I seen the hole in-between the pathway, the step down, and the parking lot. As it was one foot fell into a two foot deep hole. My knee and ankle were "wrenched". My knee instantly swelled and I could not walk. It really put a damper on the evening - as I could not go out - and the trip home was painful.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Sally, thank you for your time in review your stay, we find very help full all your comments.

We hope to welcome you again in Tulum

nj
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 11, 2013

We went to Tulum on the recommendation of my son & his girlfriend
He suggested Ana y Jose as one of the hotels we should look into
They had availablity ( I did this all 1 week prior to booking a trip)
I found the hotel very romantic ..
LOCATION WAS GREAT.... EASY WALK TO EVERYTHING
Situated on a great beach
Delicious drinks great ceviche
Breakfast was OK ..nothing great
Service was fair though they tried hard
Room Desero was very nice I think a bit pricey for Tulum but we went for... it was large & had a great view of the ocean
i could have lived w/o the jacuzzi (hot tub )it took forever to fill so by the time you got in it wasnt hot any longer

we moved to another room during or stay whch had very poor lighting & they brought in a lamp which helped alot

They do try to please
i would certainly reccommend this hotel

We were totally blown away
The beautiful beaches the cool low key vibe & great restaurants made this a truly wonderfukl vacation

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank carolgNj
Bsegroup, Manager at Ana y Jose Charming Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, April 14, 2013
Thank yo so much for share your experience, we love to hear that you like our service.
Hop to welcome you again soon.

1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 8, 2013 via mobile

We did not stay at the hotel, but visited the beach club for a couple hours on our last day in Tulum. We parked in the main parking area and locked the vehicle. While we were enjoying the beach, our car was broken into and our luggage was stolen. We only discovered this as we were leaving for the airport and had no time to file a police report. The staff seemed less than surprised and offered very little help. If you go here, do not leave a single thing in your vehicle, but be wary, your vehicle may even disappear too. This beach club does very little to assure visitors of any security. You'd think with the prices they charge, they could hire a security guard. Clearly, they do not care about their clients personal possessions.

As for the food... Another rip off. Do not order the fish tacos. You will wonder if there is even any fish in them, except for the fishy smell. The guacamole was the worst we had on our trip. I will say, however, the fish ceviche was good, just as advertised. Maybe that is the only thing they do right at Ana y Jose. Nonetheless, we will not return to this place on our next visit to Tulum. Stick with Playa Azul. Great food and drinks, wonderful staff, and nothing sketchy going on there.

Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank A N
Sorry to hear this unique sad story, the beach club is open to public and every ones is welcome, we love to serve all of you only with the best of us.

Sincerely