“This is an excellent accommodation with poor security”

Ana y Jose Charming Hotel & Spa
Ranked #41 of 99 Hotels in Tulum
Reviewed December 9, 2012

I love Ana y Jose as a resort. I have stayed here 4 or 5 times. Beautiful location, beach, high quality accommodations and restaurant. Expensive but generally worth it. Unfortunately, I have had two thefts from my room during my stays, and as a result, I doubt I will return. The first incident a few years ago involved someone getting into the locked room safe and removing several hundred dollars in cash and two passports. I suspect an employee must have had a master code. The hotel management seemed generally unconcerned and did nothing to accommodate us during our stay or thereafter. The hotel has since changed the room safe to a key lock system. During our most recent stay, we went out for a 30 minute walk on the beach one night and neglected to lock our patio door. When we returned, we found that someone had entered our room and stolen a smartphone and camera and a few other things. Our bad for not locking the door in MX, but I feel that a resort of this caliber and expense should have reasonable security and be able to control access to the property. Management was concerned on this occasion, but was unable to help and did nothing to accommodate us regarding the matter.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Siankaanbigsky

Reviewed November 29, 2012

We didn't stay at Ana y Jose, but had a beautiful evening at the restaurant. The management had assisted my partner in his proposal to me that morning! They were incredibly helpful and friendly. We celebrated our engagement with a delicious seafood platter in the restaurant with stunning views of the beach. Thank you Ana y Jose!

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank 98Traveller
Reviewed November 27, 2012

No, we didn't stay at Ana y Jose. We ventured here as the B&B we stayed in (La Selva Mariposa, #1 B&B) isn't beachfront. The minute we got there, the waiter told us the price for the lounge: P60 per lounge chair, P120 for the lounge bed (Current exchange rate is about P12 to $1). The lounge chairs are not very comfortable (pleather material). Towels were priced at P40/ea. Mind you, there was NO ONE in the beach at the time. It was completely desolate. For two people, you were looking at spending P200 ~ $17, without drinks/food. They have wifi on the beach but you would have to get the password. I'm not too sure if you were allowed to just use your own towels and lay on the beach, as indeed we were using their parking lot. We just left and went to another beach club that allowed free use of the lounges if you order something.

Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 26, 2012

Tulum is amazing, its quiet with nothing to do but chill.. (even has very limited shops, perfect!)
hotel was great, we had a garden suite, located at the back of the hotel that shares a private pool with 4 suites (great room!) very quite and private.. if you can afford it go for the sea view suite, however not as private as near the restaurant area.
i loved this hotel and would stay again..

only 2 watch points:
1. service is on mexican time, so best be ready to wait, they are a little slow.. so of the staff are amazing and we really great with our 9month old daughter.. other were just a bit poor..
2. they tried to over charge us on check out, this could have been a mistake which is fair enough.. hoever it wasn't dealt with very well.. again service just need a bit of attention.

HOWEVER.. i'll still give the place 5/5...!

Room Tip: go for garden suite.. ground floor better, you get a quieter sleep
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Ed W
Reviewed September 19, 2012

We stayed here as a result of overbooking at Cabanas Tulum. We had a ground floor room with a private pool. The room was beautiful and we enjoyed the pool. I loved the banana tree hanging over the pool. The staff was great and they work very hard to accomodate you. I called several times for ice and there was someone there in minutes. The water pressure in the shower was poor and the shower head kept falling off of the rail. Other than that the place was great.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ineedasol
Reviewed August 28, 2012

I moved to this hotel after staying one night at the neighboring Cabañas Tulum. I wasn't paying a cheap room at us$180 and for us$50 more (Paid us$230) I got a room with a/c 24hrs a day, a large, very clean and nice room with a KS bed, minbar and no ocean view but it was more than compensated with an almost private pool (only four rooms share it but only 1 day for 10 minutes my neighbors used it). So we basically had our own pool in a gorgeous garden, with a wonderful and comfortable terrace. We enjoyed this little private pool much more than the other larger one for all the other guests. Our room was called Atardecer and it's definitely the best option; or just be sure to get any of the 4 ones at the back of the hotel that share the little pool.
The only drawback to our beautiful garden is that at about 5 o 6 pm every day the nearby gardens at the hotel entrance are watered with recycled water. Good for the earth but with a horrible smell!
Breakfast is excellent, be sure to order the Motuleños eggs.
No complaints at all.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank churlie_
Reviewed August 24, 2012

I stayed here solo last week and had a great comfortable stay. I had the ocean view cabana and I just loved hanging out on the patio and waking up to the view. The staff was very warm and attentive. The room was super clean with a comfy king size bed. Oh and the food here is excellent. Once I tried their ceviche I was in trouble, I was ordering it everyday for lunch for the rest of my trip!! When I got back from my trip the pic I showed to my family and friends was the view from inside my room. It really was one of my highlights of my trip. Now I do need to mention, there were a lot of kids staying at this hotel. So if your looking for an adult only, this probably isn't the place for you. But truly the pros outweigh the cons. And I would stay here again and again kids or no kids.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo
Directview, General Manager at Ana y Jose Charming Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded August 27, 2012

We thank you for your comments and look forward to see you soon in Tulum