“Beautiful hotel, elegant, quiet family vacation for those who avoid big resorts”

Ana y Jose Charming Hotel & Spa
Ranked #42 of 95 Hotels in Tulum
Durham, Pennsylvania
Reviewed March 16, 2011

I loved Ana y Jose. It took me forever to pick the hotel, but I am so glad we landed here - and the construction allegations are nonsense. There was nothing going on, it couldn't have been more peaceful.

We arrived to be picked up in a nice car, taken for a pleasant drive to paradise. Everyone was nice and friendly, available but never pushy.
Everything went smoothly and as they said. Getting food, massage appointments, advice to where to do yoga.. it was all good.

The hotel is above my needs as far as amenities, we didn't use the air conditioning or mini bar, but for the comfort, generous room size and sense of safety with small children (7 and 9), I felt it was worth the extra. and it's on a great part of the beach!! Amazing beach and ocean, big waves, but warm and shallow so it's fun and safer than most. The hotel is also very very clean and well maintained, in a elegant understated way.

Most people didn't have children, and it always felt quiet and calm, but you never felt awkward for having yours there because the sound was all dampened by the ocean waves - and the kids were happy enough to go from pool to beach and back all day because it's just so beautiful and all right there. We were only there 5 days so we didn't rent a car, but probably would next time to see some more of the surroundings.

The food was nice, but nothing too exciting, but absolutely good and fresh. We found great eating at the nearby hotels, but always was happy that we were actually staying in ours.

Only recommendations I would make is maybe to provide more clean water without charge, that seems a bit petty, and to improve WIFI which they are working on - and to maybe offer a little more depth in the menu. Last note, which is not related to the hotel, but our sad world, is how tragically our ocean is full of garbage. They do an amazing job cleaning the beach but it's there in the water, and it's sad, but that has been everywhere I have been in the past three years. We all need to stop using plastic and take more responsibility for our consumption.

But I felt like the hotels in the area do try to make a minimal impact and I liked the overall feeling and awareness, and in turn the type of people that this attracts. I could never stay at one of those all-inclusives because they are so wasteful and decadent.

Great hotel and vacation, thank you!!

Ann

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank Russellfamily52532

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (65)
Montclair, NJ
Reviewed February 11, 2011

There isn't enough that I can say about how wonderful our experience was of this place. It has been made even more special because we then made the mistake of going up north to the ME Cancun, which is like going from a BMW to a KIA.

Ana y Jose is simply a lovely and exquisite hotel/spa that makes you feel like you are really in paradise. It was heaven to be able to open the door and walk right onto the beach. We were in "Deseo" which is a second floor balcony room on the beach and it was magnificent.

The treatments that I had at the spa were fabulous (exfoliation, reflexology, and facial). While the menu at the hotel restaurant is not extensive, the food was pretty good. Also, there are many other restaurants and cafes down the road so you are not isolated from other options.

We will definitely be going back!!

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
Stockholm, Sweden
Reviewed January 31, 2011

Very nice rooms, many styles and prices to choose between. There was not any construction going on. We slept well in a quiet environment except from bird song in the morning. Nice restaurant and beach and very helpful staff.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
Reviewed December 26, 2010

The hotel is doing construction. They said this will continue until May 2011. Do NOT stay at this hotel. All the rooms are VERY noisy - you do not feel like you're the beach at all. Management lied to us that it would be quiet. When I went to complain the next morning, there was a line of people that were complaining and wanted to check-out. Later that day, when I spoke to the manager about a refund, he said I was the only one who complained even though the hotel was now empty since everyone left.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank mgm100
Jackeline, Propietario at Ana y Jose Charming Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, February 1, 2011
Dear Guest: I would like to thank you for taking the time to write this review and would like to clarify that we were remodeling our Front desk and parking area to serve you better and that the construction work finalized last year. We truly apologize if you were not notified before your stay. The only rooms affected were the ones in the back, we would like to compensate for the inconvenience.
Best,
Jackeline Gibbs
Johnson, NE
Reviewed November 10, 2010

The purpose of our trip to Tulum was a destination wedding in the area. We were fortunate enough to have the AnayJose Resort suggested to us. The entire experience of our stay was breathtaking. The food, lodging, amenities, staff, EVERYTHNG was as perfect as it gets. We totally relaxed, and I have never seen my husband relax like this before. One way to put it is you didn't say "Can I have....?" it was, "What and when do you want ...?" We were totally catered to, and have discovered all you need is some flip flops, a couple swimming suits, and perhaps a toothbrush. It is as if we have discovered a new paradise that we will frequent as often as possible. Thank you to Oscar (AnayJose) who helped make the arrangements with us. WE WILL BE BACK!!!

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Reviewed October 12, 2010

I stayed here for seven nights, and even though there was construction going on(I had not been forewarned), this was the seculded getaway everyone dreams of. White sandy beaches, I had perfect weather, and the accomodations were first rate. The food was good, but they need more variety. The kitchen is very flexible to ones personal needs. The staff was very friendly without being in your face.

I can't wait until I return! Very soon, I hope!

• Stayed October 2010, traveled solo
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Reviewed October 11, 2010

My fiancée and I visited Ana y Jose during our tour of the resorts in Tulum, with the purpose of choosing one to host our [still] upcoming wedding. During our trip we spent a single night each at Suenos Tulum, Cabanas La Luna, Ana y Jose, and Blue Tulum. With the exception of Blue Tulum, each was excellent in its own way, and we came away very happy. We visited other resorts during the days as well. I won't waste any time telling you about Tulum's picture-perfect beaches, unmatched year-round weather, or clear blue oceans as far as the eye can see. If you're considering Tulum, you already know about these.

However, Ana y Jose set themselves apart. They were so good that they were a mutually no-need-to-be-spoken agreed upon first choice pick for both of us. The difference came down to the details, service, and sense of calm and comfort conveyed by the hard-working staff.

We had the most modest room offered by the resort, a garden-facing room with a modest but attractive view of flowers and plants, and two queen beds. Even then, from the moment you enter your room and all at once feel the rush of man's most exquisite sin, air conditioning, waft over you while the sunlight from the marble reflects beautifully into the elegant, meticulously crafted room, you know you've arrive somewhere a cut above. From the comfortable bathrobes, to the icewater that was waiting on us, to the flower petals on each inviting, plush, coordinated bed, you couldn't have asked for a better first impression for any room anywhere in the world.

This feeling lasted as we availed ourself of the amenities at the resort, trying out the service offered in each section of the resort (except for room service). We took some drinks on the beach while trying out the covered beach beds, before lazily relocating to the cozy lounge chairs for sunset. At no moment during our entire stay did we want for anything. Staff was omnipresent, spoke English, and were all able to help with any request, from more drinks, to more towels, to questions about Tulum. I cannot emphasize enough that without exception every person I interacted with had an impeccable dedication to customer service. Whether it was the restaurant or bar staff, at the spa, housekeeping, the front desk, or managers who deal with wedding and event planning there was no one about whom I have even the slightest complaint. In particular, Franklin Romero was especially generous with his time, answering an hour or more of nitpicking questions about weddings and our guests.

At the restaurant we had both dinner and breakfast during our one-night stay. Dinner was outstanding, I remember it now some 6 months later. They sometimes tell Americans not to eat the salad in Mexico, as it is washed in water that is not necessarily potable for us. Ignore this advice at Ana y Jose. I did, and I will again. The tomato with manchego and avocado with vinaigrette is to die for. I stole more than half of my fiancée's plate. My fillet mignon was cooked as perfectly as you could ask from any high-dollar steakhouse in a city back home, and the portions far more generous. We came in hungry, and had intended to try the dessert., but by the end of the entrée, it was clear that was simply not going to be possible. Stuffed, we sipped off the end of the tasty Valar Chenin Blanc, which we ordered on their suggestion.

After a perfect night's sleep in the decadent, soft bed and a relaxing hot shower in the elegantly designed, candle-decorated bathroom, we woke up and had the most fabulous breakfast ever overlooking the beach (omelette, potatoes, wonderful breads, fresh-squeezed OJ). A cool breeze made everything ideal.

The highlight of our stay was yet to happen, believe it or not. After some hours letting breakfast settle, it was time for us to get our couples' massage. It is not an exaggeration to say that this was the best massage I've ever had. Not to brag, but I get a professional massage every week as a perk at my workplace. I like to travel, including all-inclusive Caribbean resorts and cruises, and I almost always enjoy a nice table massage when I do. This was the best massage I have ever had, bar none. The young female masseuse was as strong as she was skilled, hitting all the right points and sparing no amount of backbone nor effort in delivering a textbook perfect 60 minute massage. I tipped her something like 40% and felt like I was a new man walking away from the experience. My fiancée reported an experience matching my own.

It was then that disaster struck, and these were our most memorable, if our most terrifying moments at Ana y Jose. After the massage, we couldn't find the engagement ring, which she had removed for the rub down. In the end, hours later, we would eventually discover that my fiancée's purse had been torn by the ring, which subsequently fell into the lining. Before discovering that, however, we reported the ring as missing to the management within minutes of the best massage ever ending. The ensuing 2 hour search for it spared no employee in the entire establishment. Everyone, from the masseuse who had just helped us, to the bartenders, to every level of manager, bellhop, and gardener who was on site, was mobilized and looking for the lost ring within moments. It was virtually a military response in its speed and thoroughness. For the next 2 hours, employees helped us search for the lost ring, retracing all our steps countless times, and denying us no access in canvasing anywhere it could possibly have fallen or been kicked to. Employees with rakes combed sand. Others walked with us to the car and to the spa on the beach over and over again. No free hand was spared. When we left (thinking it was lost for good, but knowing that it was virtually impossible that it could have been stolen, since we were with it basically the whole time), we were sad, but knew beyond any doubt that everything that could possibly have been done was done. When we did eventually destroy the purse finding the ring, after we left the resort, it stood as a testament to the integrity and diligence of their staff, for they had searched everything but us, and I felt terrible for any tiny nagging doubt, even for a moment, that the loss was our entirely our fault.

Ana y Jose is the jewel of Tulum and I can't report any weakness in it. From the incredibly strong WiFi coverage with dozens of access points (as strong on the beach as in your room), to the five star staff, to the unblemished, elegantly luxurious suites, to the foodie-friendly gourmet restaurant, the world-class massage from the spa, and unbeatable events coordinators, I can't recommend this place any more strongly. We intend to get married here, hopefully just the first of many happy returns.

For more information, please see my fiancée's full writeup on our Tulum explorations:
Our photos from Ana y Jose: http://goo.gl/H89h