“Beautiful and relaxing”

Ranked #86 of 96 Hotels in Tulum
Netherlands
“Beautiful and relaxing”
Reviewed August 28, 2009

We had the ocean front cabana, what a beautifull place. perfect beach with clean ocean (with nice waves). Cabanas are clean but keep in mind you are on the beach (but that is why you go here). The nighs are hot and the ocean can be loud (zo bring ear plugs). If you have a car, 5-10 min drive and you find some restaurants and a super market. in conclusion we had a great time there and the accomodation was perfect for some days on the beach. Tulum ruins are a 10 minute drive by car.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
austin, texas
Reviewed July 27, 2009

We rented the house at retiro maya after lots of online research. we loved the place because of the space! most of the houses in tulum are very small and do not give that homey feeling. the house at retiro maya was a place you wanted to hang out and entertain- the beach was amazing and you have your own private deck with great lounge furniture. we actually spent a lot of time out there in the evening...and believe me, there are parts of the tulum beach that aren't so nice. the owner was extremely helpful. we loved our maid as she became like family to us. i would highly recommend this place to anyone going with a group of friends or kids.

• Stayed May 2008, traveled with friends
NYC
Reviewed June 30, 2009

We LOVED Retiro Maya.

The location is... in a word: paradise. The beach is pristine, with sand soft as cotton and waters warm as your spit (that really is the best description for the water temp) and ever-changing in its shade of blue. One of my favorite things was watching the clouds morph throughout the day.

The rooms are great -- rustic, cozy, intimate. Without doubt, we had the best room on the beach, with nothing between out front porch and the ocean except that soft-as-cotton sand. Obviously, you don't have all the amenities of a 5 start resort in Cancun, but if you did want that, you'd go there. The night-time breeze through your cabana is far more luxurious than an AC.

The staff was warm and friendly. My Spanish is still in its developing stages but we had very little trouble communicating -- they were THAT nice. The restaurant fantastic. We only ate there once because we wanted to explore as much of Tulum as we could ( and because we preferred beer and tequila for breakfast) but the night we did, bf had the biggest lobster he's had in his life. Yum.

Finally. The owner, her daughter and her dog, are fantastic. They were tremendously accommodating of our fear of commitment and let us book two nights to start, at the week-long rate. We thought we might want to check out other resorts to get the most of Tulum but we ended up staying for the whole week. The owner was even kind enough to loan us her camera charger and spare battery; and offered some much appreciated guidance when bf and I got into a big silly fight (who fights in paradise? apparently, we do.)

I especially appreciated the owner's honesty about her resort -- she warned us, very matter-of-factly, that theft is not terribly uncommon and gave us tips to keep our belongings safe. In addition, the resident guard dog, a gorgeous golden lab (I think), named Luna, checked in on us in the mornings and periodically throughout the day to make sure all was good.

In sum: we have endless praise and not a single complain of our stay at Retiro Maya. I was a little surprised by the reviews I've heard but, well, maybe like most things in life, its about fit. Retiro Maya was exactly what we were looking for -- a cozy little getaway, submerged in luxurious natural beauty.

Oh! and with awesome nightlife at a resort just a walk on the beach away....

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank NumaLani
Austin, Texas
Reviewed March 22, 2009

First, Big thanks for Joy (the super cool cook at Retiro Maya who stumbled upon the place while traveling some years back and has been there ever since) for hooking us up!!!

Secondly, I would say the Retiro Maya bar/lounge is the place to be on a Saturday night in Tulum! The music was amazing and the margaritas and pena coladas couldn't have been better! The staff at Retiro Maya are great and even the dog is cool!

Retiro Maya is quaint and perfect for those travelers who are looking to completely disconnect from it all. The cabanas are located on a beautiful stretch of beach in Tulum just far enough from it all while being close enough to ride bikes into Tulum Pueblo (the town) or to the Tulum Ruins. There are plenty of great places (restaurants, bars, and boutiques) to stumble into either walking along the beach or the main road. Staff at Retiro Maya can also hook you up with guided tours to cenotes and other hidden treasures in the area.

Tulum is a great destination all in itself, but it was also very easy to take a day trip to Chichen Itza and other great sites around the Yucatan! Staying here was one of the highlights of our trip.

I am already looking forward to my next stay here!

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 3, 2009

I'm going to say some things were not satisfactory, but I might go here again. First time in Tulum and I have nothing to compare with. I have traveled many times to the Yucatan and left a wonderful place in Majahual to come here. I went with a friend and we were surprised at having the worst cabana assigned to us after reserving and sending full payment weeks in advance when others seemed to drop by and get better locations. To start, we were next to the bar and restaurant at the top of the hill from the beach. Not quiet as advertised but a great location if you like Salsa and other Latin music as the owner has good taste and likes to dance. We spent one night in this location and had a rat share our accomodations until my friend ran it out with a banging shoe on the bathroom floor. The rat was sick and I think it must have eaten in the restaurant. Don't eat there--breakfast was dismal, ruined toast, no milk, and the plate of fruit was tasteless--in the best fruit eating place I've ever been! The restaurant manager is rude, but the staff is helpful and kind. The owner moved us the next day to the quieter north side of the property and closer to the beach. She was very accomodating and helpful. The rooms are fine--rustic cabanas--but if you're a privacy freak, forget it. There are sightlines into bathrooms and you are elbow to elbow on the property--the band took their break at our bathroom wall and I had to kill the light. We also got bit by bugs we couldn't see that jumped on us from the sand on the floors of the cabanas. We also got mosquito bites and a spider shared our bed. Did I say the beach is fabulous? We liked the people we met here and found the experience as a whole okay. I can't say if there is a better place for the price $150 American for oceanview in February--no food. They do give you towels and that's good and it feels safe there. I'd have to think hard about booking again. We actually overhead a local in town talking on her cell phone with a friend who was trying to find a place in Tulum for under $100 without rats--we laughed--this was before we checked in.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled with friends
3 Thank Red4April
minnesota
Reviewed February 26, 2009

I walked down the beach from Playa Azul and stumbled on to this gem. I initially stayed for 2 nights and every morning after I walked up to book another night promising to leave the next day. It turned into an 8 day stay. I met great people there and checked out many other cabanas during my stay but found nothing better for the price. Lu, is an extremely sincere and kind owner. I am a professional photographer and I can honestly say this place really got a hold of me. I may return as soon as next month. I can't get enough of this little piece of heaven.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled solo
2 Thank osomofo
CANCUN
Reviewed February 25, 2009

My boyfriend and I just came back from a lovely weekend there. It was like being in paradise, definitly is one of the most beautiful beaches all around the world: white and soft sand, great warm turqoise blue ocean, superb weather, peace, relax, and fun.
Lu is the owner and manager and she gives every guest nothing but the best. There is a great bar with live music and delicius Margaritas. The room was fantastic, rustic, but comfortable, hot water, and sleeping with the ocean sound is a fantastic experience.The food was also great, try the chilaquiles...best in town. My boyfriend and I definitly will return to this magic place.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple