I've stayed at Retiro 2 times in the past 10 months, most recently in February for 5 nights.
This place has some funk and soul and charm that is quite endearing and unique, and also not without some inconveniences.
If you are a self sufficient person who doesn't need to be pampered; have sunshine blown up yer jacksie, or be constantly connected to your electronic devices, you'll be just fine.
The rooms are cheerful but slightly faded; sometimes there is hot water, sometimes not; the section of the beach is stunning on an hourly basis and in a preferable location on a stretch of magical coastline. Electricity isn't always there but it's no big thing unless you make it a big thing (they DO need to work out their generator issues - have to have solid infrastructure)
Services are there but not every moment of the day or night. The staff are friendly, pleasant, and helpful in a genuine way...but not there all the time to wait on you hand and foot. Food is there and available but not their strong suite - there are plenty of options within walking distance.
(they do need to find or re-acquire certain personnel that are catalysts, who bring staff together to create a special team)
You are there to disconnect from many of things you may feel are important in modern life; you are there to reconnect with nature and aspects of yourself that perhaps you had forgotten about. If you embrace the opportunity and open to celebrating where you are and every moment, you'll find these moments turn into so much more.
You may find a crab or a waterbug in your room. It's not a big thing ok? You are on a paradisiacal beach in a beautiful part of the world!
Rent a bike...ride that coastal road; ride into Sian Ka'an; ride into the peublo and to the ruins. You'll love it.
And yes, do bring some biodegradeable suntan lotion as well as mosquito repellent. Sometimes there are no bugs; sometimes there are many: you are on a beach next to a jungle. What are you expecting?
If you are looking for a resort, this isn't it. If you are looking for a special experience,and are willing to create it...you will have the opportunity to do so here.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Miles from the busy hustle of all inclusive resorts and hotspots, lays a sacred space for couples & families, Groups & global travelers, conscious people and fellow seekers, Find peace here, breathe, explore, create your own adventure. Retiro Maya is a grassroots eco-haven for the nature loving traveler. integrating eco-loving style with conscious adventure seeking. Days bring healing breezes, smooth sun-drenched moments sound tracked by the ocean’s melodic chant. At night find your zen space under a vast canopy of stars. Retiro Maya strives to create unique escape experiences... ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotwire, Cancelon and TripOnline SA so you can book your Retiro Maya Villas reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Cabanas Retiro Maya Tulum
- Cabanas Retiro Maya Hotel Tulum