“Too many issues”
Review of Poc-na Tulum

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Tulum
Poc-na Tulum
Ranked #64 of 96 Hotels in Tulum
Westchester County, New York
“Too many issues”
Reviewed December 13, 2008

We stayed one night at La Vita e Bella in Tulum, and found many issues. First, the screen door to our room fell off, the shower head was clogged, the blinds in the bathroom wouldn't close properly, there was a power outage overnight and in the morning, we had run out of water. The property is nice and the location is amazing, but we felt there were too many issues and that the room was overpriced.

• Liked — The location
  • Disliked — The condition of the room
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled as a couple
2 Thank VagrantTiger89
playathebeach, Public Relations at Poc-na Tulum, responded to this review, January 28, 2009
La Vita e Bella Hotel responds to all guests needs for assistance. This guest never directly complained or requested assistance to anyone at the hotel that we are aware. This is possibly because they were only staying 1 night. We hope that all of our guests would take a minute to let us know if they have a problem while at the hotel and notify the management or the owners directly as soon as they can so that we can fix or assist.

This particular guest was a walk-in without reservation staying only night.

The sliding screen door was knocked off the track. It is simple to put it back on the track in a few seconds.

The water in the Yucatan Peninsula is very hard. So, calcium deposits rapidly form on shower heads with regularity. We regularly use vinegar to clean the shower heads to keep adequate flow. This shower head needed to be cleared of the calcium build up. Again, if notified we would have replaced the shower head with a clean one. We do realize that it may not have been convenient.

The blinds were not reported as a problem by the previous guests. This guest stayed 1 night and did not report the blinds before leaving, as well. The blinds have been readjusted for easy use.

La Vita e Bella Hotel, as most beach hotels in this part of Tulum, is not on grid electricity. Most of the travelers to Tulum are aware that the electricity is shut off in the early morning at most hotels. This traveler was not aware. We have a 40Kw generator that is turned off after the bar closes around 1am to 2am in the morning. We turn the generator off, as it is underutilized during those hours of the night and to put less pollution in the environment.

The water system is pressurized by an electrical pump. This guest awoke to use the water system before the electric generator had been restarted, so there was no water pressure.

We are glad that they took the time to report these problems over Trip Advisor. We hope that guests report problems to us directly as well. Most guests do notify of us if they have a problem and we take care the situation. We want to take action towards guests needs while they are at the hotel. But, we need to know what those needs are.

Thank you.

Public Relations
La Vita e Bella Hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (78)
Pennsylvania
Reviewed November 24, 2008

I’ll just start with a simple statement: This is the best beach I have ever been to. Hands down. This place is literally straight out of a Corona commercial. You can sit all day staring out at the gorgeous crystal clear ocean or walk around in this silky, powder white sand, or take a dip in the ocean. It is a perfect relaxation getaway…the type of beach you can only fantasize about. The bungalows you stay in do not have air-conditioning and supposedly don’t always have hot water. We had hot water the entire time and you don’t need air-conditioning…there is a constant ocean breeze that will keep you cool. I mind the heat and I had no problems what-so-ever. This place makes you feel like you are not even on the same planet as everyone else…it’s so serene and peaceful and relaxing…not a care in the world when you stay here. If you are someone who NEEDS internet connection, television, room service, or a pool then this is not the place for you. If you absolutely can’t handle nature being around (the occasional small crab, lizard or bug hanging around), you should look elsewhere. But, if you go on vacation to relax in paradise, have a completely care-free time, and want to leave your worries behind, this is the ideal place to be. I would recommend La Vita y Bella as part of any vacation or honeymoon. If you are with another person, it will seem like you two are the only people on earth. We stayed on Isla Mujeres for 7 days and then came over to Tulum for 2 nights and it was absolutely perfect. All inclusive resorts are nice, but I would highly recommend coming to this place for at least a little bit. We went in July and the weather was great!

• Liked — Amazing locatoin and beach
  • Disliked — Far away, but this was also a good thing most of the time
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank jennie0705
San Diego, California
Reviewed November 13, 2008

Originally I thought I would want an all inclusive resort but I quickly realized how if I had stayed in such a place I would have missed out on an amazing experience and culture.

From the moment we arrived at La Vita e Bella everything was perfect. I've never had an easier check in at a hotel. They knew who we were and escorted us right to our adorable cabana and handed over the key. No complicated paperwork or stress. The cabana itself was so private, romantic, and just the right size. We woke up to a beautiful view of the carribean every morning (and most mornings went for a swim). The staff was extremely informative, attentive, and by the end of our trip they felt like long time friends. Janida, Lalo, Francisco, Laura, George, and Ruben (just to name a few) are some of the warmest people I've ever met and they make you feel as though they're welcoming you into their home.

We had plenty of warm water and electricity so that even though the power was turned off at night it was never so early that it bothered us. And when we needed light the candlelight was more than sufficient. However, a flash light can come in handy for the midnight search for a water bottle (provided) or a late night stroll on the beach. On that note, the beach the hotel is located on is long enough for great walks and I noticed a lot of the other hotels only had a small area of beach around them. La Vita e Bella is also centrally located making it really easy to see so many different places during our vacation including, the little town in Tulum, Chichen-Itza, Coba, Xel-Ha, Cancun, and Playa del Carmen. The Tulum Ruins were close enough to walk to as well. We definitely recommend renting a car so you don't get stuck on crowded tour buses with a bunch of tourists. On your own you can really get to know people, see the lifestyles, and taste some of the freshest seafood.

As far as the restaurant at the hotel goes, we loved it. I think I ordered guacamole every night when we would stop in for a late night cocktail! The pizza was delicious and we both recommend the fillet al mojo de ajo. We could just hang out, drink, and snack. The margaritas were spot on. The prices were reasonable.

We can go on forever about how great our honeymoon was in Tulum and we truly believe a big factor in that was our choice in places to stay.

• Liked — our cabana
  • Disliked — leaving
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple
Surrey, England
Reviewed October 27, 2008

After driving around Tulum for an hour in the rain trying to find a reasonably priced vacant bungalow on the beach which was both weather and mosquito proof and with hot water and electricity we came across this place. We had bungalow no. 2 which was beautifully located directly on the almost deserted beach. Cabana was simply but adequately furnished with a nice shower and mosquito nets. Electricity went off at 10 or 11 but candles were on hand. The hotel bar / restaurant was nice: laid back music and candlelight on the beach. Food was OK but not fantastic. Tulum ruins can easily be reached by foot either along the beach or the road (circa 20 min walk) and it's a 5 minute (45 peso) taxi ride into town. Our only complaint was that the cabana was only available for one night - we would have liked to have stayed a bit longer.

• Liked — Beautiful location on the beach
  • Disliked — Mosquitos
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple
New Jersey
Reviewed October 27, 2008

My boyfriend and I stayed here for a few nights in March, after staying inland in Valladolid to explore the ruins. After coming from the inland jungle, that first glimpse of the beach at La Vita e Bella almost brought tears to my eyes. We ran down the sand and right into the water with our clothes on! The beach is by far the best part of the hotel, along with the privacy that comes with staying somewhere with just a few cabanas.

Our cabana was a bit rustic, perhaps eco-chic (and definitely VERY clean!), but suited our needs just fine. The restaurant was very quiet when we were there - only a couple other tables occupied at a time. The food seemed a bit pricey (like a previous reviewer said, the price of staying off the beaten path), but delicious. Although we enjoyed the isolation at La Vita e Bella, it makes for less selection as far as neighboring restaurants. We did to go a couple other places on the strip, but it was usually easier to stay on the hotel grounds.

The weather in March was pretty good heat-wise. I understand what people have said about being nervous to leave windows/door open at night. Coming from Long Island, NY, we weren't trusting enough either, so we closed up at night. It did get a little stuffy, but not too uncomfortable at that time of year. No problems at all during the day, when we could open all the windows. Our last couple days, for some reason the wind brought sand with it (this wasn't an issue the first two days), which wasn't too fun.

Coming in, I was worried about the electricity, but it turned out not to be an issue. After being out in the sun all day, exploring the area, we were tired at night. And since it's completely pitch-black outside, I guess it encouraged our bodies to shut down too! We conked out EARLY each night, but somehow woke up for sunrise every day (that NEVER happens at home!).

I guess your stay at La Vita e Bella depends on your mindset. If you go in the mood for a rustic beach experience, where looking at a gorgeous beach all day long is your biggest priority, you'll love it. My boyfriend proposed on our last night there, so I guess my view of the trip is a little tainted by romantic mushiness, but we really had a great time!

Oh, and if come to this area, you'll obviously go to the Tulum ruins, but don't miss Hidden Worlds Cenote Park - about $80 per person, but a fun day. The snorkeling in the cenote cave was SO cool!

• Liked — fantastic view - gorgeous beach; relaxing, peaceful atmosphere
  • Disliked — not many options for food
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled as a couple
Los Angeles
Reviewed October 23, 2008

I did not stay here, but had made reservations, received confirmation, and they took my deposit. 51 days latter and a month before our trip they simply cancelled our reservation. Apparently they overbooked. Just appears quite disorganized on their part and left me scrambling. Luckily, I got a reservation with another hotel that is ranked higher on Trip Advisor.

• Stayed September 2008
2 Thank N0g00dscreenname
dallas, texas
Reviewed September 22, 2008

My sister in law and I just returned from a girls getaway at LaVita and Bella. The beach and water is the best on the Mexican Caribean coast . That is why we stayed there. There was no disapointment with that. However, we felt like the place was a little under populated, few guests, and fewer employees. Only stayed 2 nights because we knew it would not have any A/C and did not know how we would like that. I found it very hot and uncomfortable both nights. Our cabin was directly on the beach. To get any rest from the heat, I stayed on the patio either in the hard wood chair or in a hammock that was put up the second night. The beach was awsome, only was asked once for a drink order while on the beach. OUr cabin was clean and the bath was rustic but attractive. Ocean view from shower was great with lots of hot water 24/7. Like other guests have said, we felt a little vulnerable because we had to leave all doors and windows open to get air into the room. Screen door did not lock. We never saw any security while there. If you go, take a couple of flashlights with you. They will come in real handy after midnight when you can not sleep and want to read, sit outside for the air, or find the john. We elected to eat both evening meals in the big barn restaurant. First night was fish of the day, grilled. It was delicious. Pizza and salad 2nd night. It was pretty good also. We found the service to be friendly and Mexican slow, which was ok with us, since we had no hot spot to go off to. This is the kind of place where you spend all your energy during the daylight hours and hopefully you will crash after the lights/electricty goes out so you will not feel the lack of no A/c. If you drink enough, that will work. They mix a very good and strong Pina Colada. But you have to wait until they have the electricity on so they can use the blender.
I booked a massage thru the front desk which is in the big barn. Found the staff to be most accomodating for that service. Massage was on the beach and fairly priced for one hour. I reccommend that if you go.
Staying at LaVita and Bella was a little like going to camp. It has everything you need, but somethings you have to get used to not having.
Older guests should be advised that in order to get inside our cabin, you had to step up almost 2 feet while holding onto the side supports. The step was missing. The sand was very soft and made it a challenge. Also, you must walk on sand everywhere you go at LaVita and Bella. Deep Sand. Up a nice size hill to get to most cabanas. Not difficult for the athletic younger set.

Would I stay again, maybe, but more than likely, I will just return for the day to enjoy the beach, fresh fish dinner, massage and then get in my rent car and go back to a hotel with airconditioning. It looked to me like they would allow guests to enjoy the restaurant and beach and then they leave.

For the price they charge they should offer beach towels to guests, and flashlights. However, they did provide candles for the room with matches. That could be romantic with the right partner. I also felt that everything in the restaraunt was a little overpriced. Now I know its because of the difficulty of getting anything to the beach. So know that everything costs a little more...
If quiet and alone time is what you are looking for, this is the spot. Tire yourself out in the daytime, and eat well and drinks lots in the evening and you will have a great time.

• Liked — View of beach and water.
  • Disliked — Not cool enough and no front step to get on to the porch.
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled with family