“Vita Bella - Tulum's epicentre of the Towel Art scene”
Review of Poc-na Tulum

Poc-na Tulum
Ranked #64 of 95 Hotels in Tulum
London, United Kingdom
“Vita Bella - Tulum's epicentre of the Towel Art scene”
Reviewed October 4, 2012

Sure, the restaurant is fine. The rooms, also pretty decent. And the beach? More than adequate. But thats not why you have to stay at Vita Bella, you need to stay there for the towel art.

"Towel art? What in the what?" I hear you say as you double take. Well, it is not too extreme to say that the ladies who clean your room and replace your towels are amongst the worlds greatest living artists. What they can do with only two normal sized towels and a hand towel, both boggles the mind and stimulates the senses. One day I came back to find a Brontosaurus, the next an elephant, the next a kind of mermaid, squid thing - whatever it was, it was spectacular.

I regularly cut short my day trips just so I could return to see what masterpiece was waiting for me. The only real downside was that I had to drip dry after my shower because there was no way I could destroy those wonderful creatures.

Griselda and the girls, thank you. You made my stay.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
8 Thank alex b

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (78)
Reviewed August 15, 2012 via mobile

In a few words:
- best rustic cabanas we could find
- cabanas are very well maintained
- no strange bugs in the cabanas - just once saw a tiny crab looking fr humidity in the shower - which is cute!
- no A/C is relevant with the way the cabana are built: fans and open windows are more than sufficient
- very comfortable mattresses
- staff is very helpful
- location is magnificent (beautiful and large beach)
- restaurant's seafood is great.

In detail:
We arrived the day the Ernesto hurricane was planned to make a landfall. We originally opted for the cabana Chico, a very small cabana right on the beach for 80 usd/night. We were enchanted by it even though it is indeed small. Great view on the sea (it's basically right on the beach), rustic as we like it, no tacky decoration.

When the hurricane started to become more violent, contrary to the other persons staying at the hotel who left, we stayed there. We were moved for security reasons to cabana 32 then 21. All the time the staff was very kind and attentive to our needs although there was a lot to take care of. We were also offered a pizza from the restaurant.

When finally everyone from the coast had to be evacuated, Gino, the owner, when asked if he could recommend a pueblo hotel to stay in, called a friend of his to welcome us for free in her place. We felt this was very kind from him.

We returned the next day and were offered to stay in the cabana 32 and for the trouble we experienced, although of course not of the hotel responsibility, the staff offered a nice price reduction.

We then extended or stay by more than 3 days because of the perfection of all things at la vita e bella. People are exquisite (both hotel and restaurant staff), beach is beautiful, restaurant really good.

We only tested the mixed seafood platter and the grilled fish there but they were both extremely good. So good that we ate those for 5 days.

All in all, after seeing some other hotels and cabanas (palmas mayas, 90usd for a great room but with views on the frequented road, Margherita - too posh and pricey for us, etc) we definitely believe la vita e Bella is the best choice you can make for a cabana on the beach in Tulum. Highly recommended, and we hope to be back there one day!

• Stayed August 2012
3 Thank Guigro
Copenhagen, Denmark
Reviewed August 8, 2012

We can only give La Vita e Bella our very best recommendations!
First of all, the location is unbeatable. Tulum Beach is a lovely and peaceful place, where you get all the beauty of the Caribbean ocean, without the crowdedness of Cancun or Playa del Carmen. Tulum town is 5 km away, so there’s absolutely no hustle and bustle here!

After two days in some very basic cabañas elsewhere in Tulum, we went looking for something more luxurious, and came across La vita e Bella. The very nice and helpful Carmen greeted us in the reception and showed us around the premises – and we were sold instantly!
We stayed in cabaña # 1, which had a fantastic location right in front of the beach. The bathroom also had the most amazing view of the beach, it made taking a shower a very exotic experience. The room was nice and spacious – big double bed, extra bed and shelves all around the room. My boyfriend was particularly fond of the hammock on our porch! Every day the housekeeper impressed us with amazing towel designs with flowers.
Our cabaña came with 2 sunloungers reserved just for us. But this was unfortunately not clear to the other guests (the sign had fallen of, and was placed up into palm umbrella, so it wasn’t very obvious.) This was a bit annoying as we didn’t have the heart to make the other people go away when we needed the loungers.
Obviously this is a rustic beach place, and therefore there’s no A/C or TV (luckily!), but it would be nice if WiFi were available in the cabañas. But there’s good reception in the restaurant, so it’s ok.

The hotel also has bikes for rent, which is a great way of getting into Tulum town or the Tulum ruins. One day we went snorkeling with Angel, who has a boat right outside the hotel. This was a good experience. Right outside our cabana was a little massage place. The massages are not exactly physiotherapeutic, but it sure was wellness for the soul to enjoy the amazing view of the beach while getting a massage.

The only thing that we did not find completely pleasurable was the restaurant and the efficiency of the waiting staff. Ordering and paying took a lot of time. One time we waited 25 min. to pay our bill, and one time we tried to order ice cream on the beach, but our order was forgotten.
It would be more convenient to be able to charge things to the room. The place is so small, that staff should be able to recognize you, without the need of wearing bracelets.
Obviously the food is Italian, as the place is Italian run. But I did miss some more Mexican or international options on the menu. Also, the food is very expensive and the cost does not match the quality of the food. We highly recommend the Thai restaurant next door at the Mezzanine.

But all in all, our stay at La Vita e Bella was fantastic. Even though the restaurant was inefficient and expensive, nothing could ever ruin our experience at Tulum, and we hope to be able to return one day! ☺

Room Tip: Oceanfront cabanas are the best
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank MariaMorten
Sydney
Reviewed August 3, 2012

Our party of three, myself, husband and 22yo daughter loved our time here.We arrived quite late after a flight from Cuba, however, the owner greeted us and arranged for the kitchen (which was closed) to cook us up some lovely pizzas. The bungalows are beautiful, yes they are rustic but in a charming way, gorgeous basin in the bathroom, great views from the balcony and huge bed, and mozzie nets, although we didn't need them.They are well maintained, the cleaner even washes the floor every day, If you want minimalist expansive rooms go to the HUGE resorts up the road, otherwise you will love the peace and beauty here. The restaurant is really good, they have a wood fired oven and make great pizza and pasta, I was in Italy last year and La Vita are just as good. The beach out the front is the best in Tulum, white sand, clear water and you can walk to the ruins up the road or better still take the bikes at reception. We had a few day trips out of Tulum during our stay and reception organised a taxi for us, it was really very easy to get around if you can tear yourself away from the resort and beach. My daughter and I had a wonderful massage on the beach one afternoon, which was fabulous and quite cheap. Yes there is sand everywhere, its a beach, but this just adds to the laid back feel of the place. I think most Aussies would feel at home here and I would love to come back with a group of friends to just chill out and have fun. The staff are extremely friendly and helpful, even bringing lunch and drinks to us when we were lazing around on the lounges on the beach. A totally relaxing holiday that I highly recommend.

Room Tip: Bungalows on the beachfront have of course the best views.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank moulder89
Miami Beach, Florida
Reviewed July 6, 2012

We really loved our stay at La Vita e Bella. We stayed in a spacious 2 bedroom with a large deck with a hammock. The ocean was just a few steps away and you could hear the sound from the ocean and the jungle from your bed.
The staff was wonderful. I just want to mention some names and I apologize to all the others I haven't mentioned: Julianna, Jesus, Benjamin, all kind and warm.
The restaurant was also amazing, with the best ubication, literally in the sand, and one of the best oven brick pizzas that i have ever tasted.
I know we'll be back!

Room Tip: The king size bed room was great
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Seattle
Reviewed June 21, 2012

We loved EVERY aspect of our stay at La Vita e Bella. I have no idea why anyone would have anything negative to say about this paradise. Expensive? I totally disagree. We stayed in a spacious 2 bedroom with a big 2 sink bathroom and a large deck with a hammock and a few chairs around a small table. Our daughter spent hours reading in the hammock while we lounged in the chairs with our books. The ocean was just 100 yards away making it more than easy to don our suits whenever the mood hit and run through the white sand, into the sea.

Every single person who works here from the reception area to the restaurant was wonderful -- kind, warm, welcoming, informative -- the kind of staff who makes you feel as if you're the only guest there. I just want to mention some names and I apologize ahead of time to all the others I haven't mentioned: Julianna, Carmen, Jesus at the reception desk -- all superlative. All of the guys who work in the delicious restaurant from Benjamin to Lalo to Ramon to Francisco and on and on. I miss you all already as I think about the hours we spent with our toes buried in the white sand, sipping Margaritas and gazing out to the sea.

And speaking of sand I have to comment on the reviewer who complained about "too much sand." Huh? It's a beachfront place; I certainly hope there's plenty of sand. It was one of the most fun features of this place and there were plenty of spigots to rinse your feet if you felt the need.

We also met a few couples and families who come back to La Vita e Bella again and again and I can understand why. I know we'll be back! This was one of the best vacation experiences we've had as a family. And, again, the entire staff deserves a raise! They were all spectacular.

Cheers to La Vita e Bella!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
4 Thank Kit C
Miami Beach, Florida
Reviewed June 17, 2012 via mobile

Best view and sea in tulum
Bungalow are very rustic and not well maintained
Staff is very friendly and helpful
Expensive look around for better deals

• Stayed June 2012
2 Thank AlexMiamifl
Cancun11, Public Relations Manager at Poc-na Tulum, responded to this review, June 19, 2012
We want to thank the reviewer for their comments however brief and inaccurate. There is a line between the appearances of rusticity and not “well maintained.” I believe you may have enjoyed the beach and had a few drinks. You were not guest of the hotel. If you had stayed in a room, you would have seen that the hotel is maintained very well. We are a small rustic hotel on the beach in Tulum. The website gives a great representation of what the hotel is like.

A single sentence generalized comment without detail is insufficient information for the hotel to give a good response and probably insufficient for travelers to get an idea of your experience at La Vita e Bella Hotel.

Thank you.