“Our best meal during our week in Tulum”
Review of Unico

Unico
Ranked #12 of 411 Restaurants in Tulum
Cuisines: International
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: NO LONGER LOCATED ON THE BEACH. We are now open at our new location in Tulum Town. We continue to offer the best dining experience in Tulum. We make everything possible from scratch using the best local ingredients available. Join us for Happy Hour daily from 3-6. We are currently opening at 3:00 until 11:00. Come try our exclusive eight course tasting menu featuring local flavors and ingredients. Stop by and give our delicious food a try, you won't be disappointed!
Reviewed March 29, 2014

Check this restaurant out for gourmet food at a reasonable price. My partner and I had two fish dishes, an appetizer, a dessert and two glasses of wine each for less than $100 (USD). When combined with the fabulous service and really interesting after dinner shots (complimentary) this makes for a great date restaurant.

You'll find Unico on the Coba road right off of the Tulum road going towards the Coba ruins. It's a small place and cute on the inside.

We tried the tomato carpaccio appetizer. It was really unique and quite delicious. The salad contains very thinly sliced tomato and parmesan dressed with balsamic. This was one of my favorite dishes.

We also had a special shrimp pasta dish with homemade pasta. The homemade pasta was quite good, but I ended up preferring my husbands fish with roasted peppers. The fish was perfectly cooked, flaky and delicious.

Finally, we had the NY cheesecake. The cheesecake was incredibly fluffy and creamy, not heavy at all. The strawberry coulis tasted exactly like my mom's homemade strawberry jam. Yum. My husband also wants me to mention that "Bryans sangria" is "awesome".

Ivan (the waiter) is sweet, professional and efficient. Bryan (the chef) came out to chat with us a bit and clearly cared that we were enjoying our experience.

The only negative part of the entire experience was the location. It's right on a busy street. We sat inside and were not bothered at all. I can only imagine that if it were located on the beach the prices would skyrocket.

1  Thank Karla L
There are newer reviews for Unico

Reviewed March 27, 2014

Menu full, brillant, dynamic and has something for everyone. We had the fried goat cheese balls in honey and the stuffed avocado to start. Highly recommended. My steak was a huge serving and delicious. They fish was also cooked to perfection! The staff and chef were so hospitable and gracious. Although it is in town off the beaten path, it is so worth making the trip. It is 3 buildings back from the main intersection in Tulum. Not far at all and highly recommended!

Reviewed March 26, 2014

We've visited Tulum many times but tend to stick to our favorite restaurants on the beach road. All of the glowing reviews on Tripadvisor convinced us to try Unico, and we were not disappointed. Service was truly exquisite, the food was fresh, local, and delicious, and it was top to bottom just a really nice experience. Kudos to chef Brian, Ivan our waiter, and the entire staff for such a great evening.

Reviewed March 26, 2014

While not inexpensive, the food at Unico was fantastic --- creative, flavorful and worth every penny. It's certainly one of the finest restaurants in Tulum (and, I imagine the Yucatan) and I highly recommend not missing it.

Reviewed March 24, 2014

We went to this restaurant based on the Trip Reviews. We were not disappointed in fact we had a quality meal with quality service. The complimentary bread and hummus was exceptional. I had stuffed zucchini starter and my husband had shrimps in avocado sauce - amazing. We both had the rib eye steak with wild mushrooms and this was fantastic. Husband and wife team are exceptional and the food was quality and sensibly priced and the service was superb. We will definitely be visiting again before we return home. This has to be the best restaurant in Tulum.

1  Thank Griffin229