“Loved this place”

Posada Luna del Sur
Ranked #6 of 98 Hotels in Tulum
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed March 6, 2007

Stayed here 3 nights with my boyfriend and we did not want to leave. Janet and Jack are great to making you feal like home and Jesus took very good care of the rooms. The rooms were spotless, the bed was big and good. The only little thing that was negative was the noisy AC. I Would not stay anywhere else if I go back to Tulum and I recommend it warmly!

8  Thank Maja80
There are newer reviews for Posada Luna del Sur

Reviewed March 6, 2007

Tulum is a very charming town, it is now my favorite place in Mexico. We stayed at Posada Luna del Sur, under the care of Janet and Jack. At first, we were distressed by how far we were from the beach. But after a brief tour of the hotels on the beach, we realized that we were much better off at Posada, even though we did not have a car. We rented bikes from Iguana's Bike Shop, whose owners were also very sweet, and we got lots of great exercise. We biked to Cabanas Copal on the beach every morning for a 7:30 am yoga class, then biked back to Tulum pueblo for an incredible breakfast at Azafran, run by a former five-star chef. Azafran was recommended to us by Janet and Jack, it is a very reasonably-priced restaurant with incredible food. One morning we had homemade orange-papaya-ginger juice. Divine! After breakfast, we biked back to the beach-within the first few days that we were there, we had biked about 20 miles! Obviously, trips to the beautiful beaches of Tulum are much easier if you have a car, although taxis are also readily available.

Janet and Jack really made our stay pleasant. They are highly communicative, giving information about good restaurants, good spots on the beach, and good jungle tours. They are very caring and their relaxed, warm attitudes are infectious. The rooms are impeccably clean, Jesus the housekeeper is very sweet and meticulous. There is air conditioning, TVs, a fridge, and a kitchen sink - perfect for eating mangoes or leftover pizza. Janet and Jack were very understanding and helpful, when I left two pair of earrings there, they did everything they could to look for them, even rummaging through the garbage. Out of all of the places we went on our trip, Tulum was by far our favorite, and largely because of Janet and Jack's great advice and assistance. They even gave us recommendations for the other places we went on our trip!

We HIGHLY recommend Posada Luna del Sur, and hope to visit Janet and Jack again next year!

1  Thank yogi6
Reviewed March 3, 2007

Our group of four Canadian couples stayed at the Posada del Luna Sur from Feb.24 to Mar.3/07. Janet, Jack, and Jesus made us all feel so very welcome. With 11 rooms, the clean little hotel offers personalized attention to a broad range of travelers not looking for the mega-resort experience. The continental breakfast, air conditioning, ceiling fans, crisp white sheets on queen size beds were great features. The posada's location at the south end of the town of Tulum allowed us all to watch the local Mayan people go about their lives as we strolled up town for a taxi to the beach or a meal in one of the many restaurants recommended by Janet. A shady corridor outside our rooms offered us a wonderful place to read in the heat of the day. Excursions to the beach, the ruins, Xel'ha, and the wildlife reserve were easy to arrange and Janet and Jack offered lots of tips. As hosts, Janet and Jack were superb; as caretaker and cleaner, Jesus was wonderful. Go stay - you'll love it !!!

Stayed: February 2007
7  Thank AlbertaAlexandra
Reviewed March 3, 2007

My husband and I just returned from our 10 day four city tour of Mexico. We spent the first five days of our honeymoon at Posada Luna del Sur in Tulum. We were looking for places to stay and while on Tripadvisor I read a review about what a great hotel this was. So my husband contacted Janet and Jack and they were able to accomadate us for only the first five days of our trip. We were a little nervous about travelling by bus around Mexico but let me tell you there was nothing to worry about. We hopped on the bus in Cancun, and took the bus to Playa del Carmen where we hopped on another bus that took us to Tulum. We arrived at the hotel at about 8:30-9:00 at night and were met by Janet who showed us our lovely room. It was by far the best place we stayed in while in Mexico (one night in Playa del Carmen, 3 on Cozumel and one in Cancun.) It was bright and clean and very comfortable. Janet showed us around and brought out a map and showed us where we could find the best tacos (Diaz's taquitos was my husbands favourite place to eat.) and where to go for a nice romantic setting. She was bang on about everything. Her and Jack were great about helping us plan our days. We didn't really want to do the tourist thing which was why we went to Tulum. The told us where good snorkeling was and what areas on the beach to visit. We would absolutely return in a heartbeat. We did enjoy our honeymoon very much but if we were going to do it again we would have spent all 10 days in Tulum at the Posada Luna del Sur.

6  Thank andrea79
Reviewed February 27, 2007

I returned a week ago from ten days in Tulum. I stayed at Posada Luna del Sur, and can't wait to go back next year. The owners, Jack and Janet are so good at making people feel at home in their hotel. Their exceptional hospitality was evident the moment I showed up at their door. I had arrived on an evening flight, and didn't get to their hotel until 11:30pm, exhausted. Jack welcomed me at the door, handed me the room key and said "don't worry about paperwork - we can do that tomorrow".

The hotel is located on a very quiet street at one end of town. The rooms are quite large, with an attractive sitting area, and kitchen in addition to the bed which was comfortable. I was also pleased that there were two fans in the room, because at night I like to open the windows and shut off the air conditioner, but just need a little air circulating.

Each morning I would look forward to meeting Jack and Janet and other guests for breakfast. They would serve fresh squeezed OJ, delicious coffee, and a nice selection of rolls and croissants. They would stay and chat with their guests, and introduce people to each other - so I met lots of interesting people and enjoyed this routine each morning. The hotel gets a nice mix of Americans, Mexicans and Europeans - which is what I like about Tulum - it's a great mix of people.

On my third day in Tulum, I fell and injured my foot. I woke up in the middle of the night and it was badly swolen. Jack was extremely helpful and wrapped my foot in bandages, got me some pain killer, and offered "whatever it takes" to get me back to health. He even looked around town for a cane. Within three days, I was doing much better, and it was just such a nice feeling knowing that Jack and Janet were more like relatives or old friends, than owners of a hotel. They really make you feel like you are staying with family.

The rooms were always spotless when I returned at the end of the day, and I looked foward to seeing the little "towel sculptures" that Jesus (a very pleasant man who helped out at the hotel) would create. I've seen towel's folded nicely before, but I think he has taken this art to a new level. One day, I was almost tempted to "drip dry" after my shower, rather than take apart a cute little girl he had crafted from my towels. I felt horrible taking her apart to dry myself off. :-)

I'm heading back to Tulum next February, and look forward to seeing Jack and Janet. I'll be keeping in touch with them, sharing photos and stories via email. Meeting them was a wonderful experience, and I hope you have the opportunity to spend time with them too.

Stayed: February 2007
9  Thank bowlofcherries
Reviewed February 26, 2007

I dont have much new to add, there is a reason this place is rated #1 in Tulum and most the reviewers have touched the major points:

Very clean and tastfully decorated rooms, nice little garden area, excellent service, friendly staff/owners, a nice breakfast spread with some great coffee, and the opportunity to meet travelers from around the world (at the breakfast), did I say the rooms were immaculately clean?

I would suggest asking for room 4 or 5 on the ground floor as they have the best access to the garden.

Would also suggest renting a car if staying here, as it is a hike to the beach.

• Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
5  Thank paristexas
Reviewed February 23, 2007

We've stayed for 6 nights at Posada Luna del Sur in Tulum. The hotel owners, Janet and Jack are very service orientated and above all, wonderful people! They make you feel immediately at home. They know a lot of Tulum and the environment through which they can give you all kind of good suggestions for diner, beaches and day trips (especially for those who aren't interested in the typical tourist traps).

The rooms are large, have a refrigerator, locker and AC and are spotlessly clean. There is 24 hours electricity and warm water available, which is not common if you stay at one of the cabana's on the beach.

If you have a room on the 1st floor, you will have a small garden terrace where palm trees with coconuts bring you in the tropical mood.

In the morning during breakfast you can chat with the other guest and Janet and Jack and receive good suggestions for the day.
The hotel is located in the village Tulum. In here you can find all kind of nice restaurants and cafe's. The beach is only 5 minutes drive away.

Posada Luna del Sur is definitely a hotel to return to the next time we are in Tulum!!!

5  Thank Flora_and_Steven