“Talk about a vacation...it was perfect.”

Posada Luna del Sur
Ranked #6 of 98 Hotels in Tulum
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed April 8, 2009

This was my second visit to Tulum, Mexico - and my second stay at Posada Luna del Sur. The fact that I came back for a second time is testimony to how wonderful it was, and my memories from two years ago were only made better by this repeat visit.

My review from two years ago on TripAdvisor (May 4th, 2007) still holds true. I'll probably end up repeating myself, but hey. If you're up for the read, great, if not - just go ahead and book this place, you won't be disappointed. Staying at the Posada Luna del Sur was a great choice, and really dictated the tone of the trip.

A bit about Tulum and the location of the hotel: it's a small town about 1.5-2 hours drive south of Cancun, and it's easily walked around by foot, and fun to walk the back roads to avoid traffic on the main drag. The hotel itself is located on the southern edge of town -It is walking distance (3 or 4 blocks) from the main drag, which is a combo of tourist trap shops and restaurants, fruit shops and internet cafes. The town itself is a few kilometers from the beach, which is an advantage - no mosquitoes, lower humidity, and easy access to the restaurants around town. We had a rented car, so beach access was easy - we did see quite a bit of people biking down to the beach.

And now, about the hotel: what makes this place so special are Janet and Jack, the owners and hosts. Simply put, these are wonderful people who want you to have fun and relax...they lived up again to their reputation of being like family, the cool relatives who live in a great place, near the beach, and you can't wait to visit them on your next vacation. After a long plane ride, with hassles in between, we were greeted by them with open arms, a Pacifico beer and tequila...the perfect relaxation technique. That really set the tone for the entire trip, and put my fiancee (who was a little wound up prior) at ease. The next morning, we ran a few more ideas by Janet and Jack for things to do on our second visit in Tulum. A little bit about this: Janet and Jack gave us advice last visit on what to see, do and eat - which was nothing short of great and honest advice - and was right on the mark. Every day we'd have small questions - and every day we'd have great conversations with Jack and Janet about pretty much everything and anything...just like family.

The hotel itself was the exact same way we remembered it: very, very clean, and very secure. They had upgraded the beds (which were great to start with!), but the lock to the front gate, the safe in the room (for valuables), night guard, parking under the hotel was the same. We did end up parking mostly on the street, and once again this didn't seem to be a problem. The rooms are just like the pictures: simple, clean and pretty (the pictures from other people and the website do not lie!) - and most importantly - air conditioned! (also with ceiling fans). The room comes with an attached kitchen, fridge and importantly - a water jug with a manual pump, since the tap water in all of Tulum is not intended for drinking. And the WiFi worked really well! That was a nice surprise (I was able to call my family on Skype and gloat that I was in heaven, heh heh). Just another word about the beds...oh, those king size beds...so great...so comfortable.... some of the best 9 hours of sleep that I've had in years.

Another thing worth commenting is the bed/towel art done by Jesus, one of the workers - so fun, so magnificent to look at, always bringing a smile to our faces. (BTW - for those who are new to the Posada, since the hotel is in town, they do not provide beach towels - so don't forget to bring one from home.)

So, our major "activity"...was going to the beach. In a nutshell, the Sian Kaan biosphere reserve (CESiaK) was just as we left it: a piece of heaven. White sand, turquoise waters, fantastic restaurant...and free boogie boards to borrow!

(I had to pause to sigh...I want to go back so bad...deep breath. Onwards.)

Other things we did:
1. Punta Laguna Monkey reserve - we had a wonderful guide, Manuel (from Manzano Expeditions), who took us around to see the spider monkeys (who had just given birth earlier in the month, and were teaching their babies to scale the trees!). Very nice, bring a camera with a zoom lens!

2. Ek Balam - a 1.5 hour trip from Tulum by car - it was one of the major Mayan cities and was actually the historic capital of the Yucutan. This is a much less touristy site, excavations starting in the 1980's - we had the place to ourselves. Very impressive, very scary to be at the top of this pyramid. Since the Yucutan is flat, the mounds of jungle around us reminded us that these were unexcavated temples! Our guide, Aurelio, a local Mayan, was great.

3. Valladolid - we ended the Ek Balam trip in town, near the Zaci cenote (which is smak dab in the middle of town!). We were hot, didn't bring our bathing suits (the locals were taking a nice cool dip)...but the town looked very quaint (old Spanish colonial), and worth an excursion in the future.

We also went to the Tulum ruins - big mistake. Albeit a gorgeous site, it's a HUGE tourist trap. Every bus from every all-inclusive from Cancun southward was there. Humans as far as the eye could see, like lemmings on the side of the cliff. We won't talk about this.

And of course....places to eat - my all-time favorite, Taqueria Diaz, was up and running, every day after 6:00 PM. Their tongue tacos were nothing short of heaven. By the 3rd night, my face was familiar and the question the server had was simply "how many". Cafe Expresso (near the fruit stand) and Don Cafeto had marvelous breakfasts). We also went to "Candido", a local chicken place on the corner of a street - cheap as hell, and really great chicken on charcoal. And of course...the Sian Kaan restaurant: fantastic. Best pescados, guacamole...and their entire menu. And the service is friendly...and the view stunning. Don't miss out on this.

So...I'm sad to be back from vacation. And all thanks to this wonderful place...thank you again, Jack and Janet, for some of the most relaxing time of my life. You are dearly missed in the frozen tundra of Cleveland...

p.s. There is a recent review of this place, which was quite disparaging...I feel so bad for them for not having our great experience, bless their hearts.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank maclior

Reviewed April 1, 2009

It was nice, we checked out the different cabanas, and I'm glad we chose to stay in town at Posada. It has amazing reviews, and lived up to the expectations.

Taxis are cheap to and from the ruins and also to and from the beach clubs.

Reviewed March 31, 2009

I went with Trip Advisor on this one and was not disappointed, in fact my expectations were exceeded. This gorgeous boutique hotel is clean, safe, comfortable and charming. From being met by Janet with maps in hand and restaurant recommendations, to Jesus' infamous towel sculptures (the best in Central America!), my stay there features prominently in my memories of Tulum.

The room was clean and beautifully decorated with a small kitchen, balcony, TV, ceiling fan and A/C. The hotel is well situated, close to the bus station, restaurants and shops (albeit Tulum Pueblo isn't the largest town) and it's easy to hail a cab on the main street. Janet was lovely to me, when I mistakenly bought plantains she swapped them for bananas and she even let me view the art in her apartment, many pieces painted by Jack's father and others by well-known Mexican artists. It was my first time travelling alone, but meeting people like her meant I never felt lonely. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend this hotel to anyone, it's wonderful.

• Stayed: November 2008, traveled solo
1  Thank Happy_hol_tripper
Reviewed March 29, 2009

When I think "botique hotel" this is what I imagine. Very charming. On the end of the main strip of the Pueblo of Tulum. Surrounded by numerous eateries and shops makes its location ideal. The cab to the Tulum ruins only cost about $4 US. As soon as we got there we were greeted very warmly by the owner. She gave us a map of Tulum and gave us a run down of where to eat, not to eat, etc. It was extremely helpful. It was our first king sized bed on this trip which was a nice break from the doubles we'd been sleeping in. All the water you can drink from a purified jug and a maid who created towel animals each morning. A lovely balcony overlooking a small courtyard. Very quiet - slept GREAT here w/the air conditioning. Hot water heater only took about 10 min to warm up and then was good for 10 - 15 min and even when it went cold it wasn't really that cold and actually felt quite good. The breakfast served was not extravegant, but definitely adequate. Fresh fruit, Mexican sweet bread, fresh hand-squeezed orange juice and French pressed coffee. Very filling; more than I thought it would be. The only thing and it's very minor that I didn't like was that you couldn't put your toilet paper in the toilet.

2  Thank lzinsmaster11
Reviewed March 27, 2009

My husband and I selected Posada Luna Del Sur based on the recommendations on this website and we were not disappointed! We absolutely loved our 4 night stay & wished we could have stayed longer or spent our entire trip to Tulum there!

Janet & Jack were fantastic. They were extremely helpful & kind and we LOVED the sweet buns, fresh juice & coffee every morning in the breakfast room. The guests were also friendly and eager to share their recommendations for day trips & restaurants. And we felt incredibly relaxed and safe. The towel art created by Jesus was exceptional and we always felt we were destroying his art when we had to use the towels :(

We also appreciated the bottled water provided in the room. Our first hotel did not do this which was a mild annoyance.

We hope to be back in the near future & some of our friends are on their way shortly due to our fantastic experience.

Thanks again for everything Janet & Jack!

2  Thank RebeccaandGraeme
Reviewed March 17, 2009

My girlfriend and I stayed at the Posada Luna del Sur in Tulum for 5 nights of our vacation. Our stay made for one of the best vacations we have had so far. Some reviews didn't like the fact that the hotel wasn't on the beach, but for us being in the middle of town was much more interesting and convenient. It was only a 10 min. taxi ride to the beach and it only cost about $5 USD. At night we could stroll down the main street and the side streets and do shopping and find a lot of great places to eat. Janet was especially helpful in showing us a map of the town and highlighting the places that were worth visiting. We were only a short distence from the bus station, so it made it really easy to head to Coba and back up to Playa del Carmen when it was time to go. My girlfriend wasn't feeling well the first night we were there and Jack and Janet were so kind and thoughtful and they brought her some medication from there own supply. They really made the stay seem like being with family and all the guests were really friendly too. We will never forget our stay there and we will for sure stay there again when we return to Tulum. By the way, the rooms are bright and cheerful and very clean.

2  Thank BobBellingham
Reviewed March 17, 2009

This is a little gem of a hotel in every respect. Jack and Janet were excellent hosts who, because we spoke no Spanish, were of invaluable assistance to us when we needed help in changing a pending reservation later in our trip. They let us make two long distance calls using their phone - one back to Canada - and, to our surprise, insisted on taking no payment. for it. They recommended great restaurants, and were very helpful to their guests in answering questions, including medical ones. If you stay in Tulum, try to stay here. They won't disappoint you.

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled with family