“Loved it!”

GreenLeadersGold level
Pflugerville, Texas
“Loved it!”
Reviewed April 5, 2014

A friend and I stayed in Posada Luna del Sur for our Tulum vacation, and we loved it! Tom was very helpful and friendly, making reservations for our ruins excursion, hiring a taxi to take us to the airport for a low rate, and just offering recommendations on where to go and how to get around. Our room was very clean and comfy, and the morning breakfast was delicious. We also loved hanging out on the rooftop in the mornings before setting out and evenings before heading to bed. I enjoyed the location in the town, which felt more authentic than a resort hotel and was walking distance from many wonderful restaurants and stores, and was still an easy taxi ride to the beach. And we never felt unsafe. Tom and his staff definitely went above and beyond to ensure that we had a great experience.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank Manda I

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (91)
  • Turkish first
knaresborough
Reviewed March 31, 2014

i stayed in Posada del Luna del Sur in early March. I had never been to Mexico before and wanted to get a real taste of the country . I didn’t want to stay in a resort where everything looked the same which could shave been Centre Parcs with a bit of sun.

i choose Tulum and then I chose Posada Luna del Sur because I had been recommended it. I wasn’t disappointed. First of all Tulum is such a great place. I did feel that this was authentic and genuine Mexico, just as i found the people. They are so warm and welcoming and just made me feel really special.

I had room 7 which was great - it was large and clean, had a sunny balcony overlooking the garden. I particularly liked the large bed with crisp cotton sheets and the big bottle of drinking water. Th terrace where breakfast was served was a great place just to sit and chill on comfortable sofas as well as eat breakfast and what a breakfast - go for the real Mexican specialities. I was served by Maria on both mornings, the first of which I had the burrito - I failed to spot the world ‘oversized ‘ before the word ‘burrito on the menu - it was massive! I had huevos racheros on the second day and that was more than plenty for me. Maria plied me with as much coffee as i could drink.

Maria’s sister, also called Maria looked after me really well and made me feel like family. Tom was a genuinely caring host who recommend some great places to eat - massive steaks at the Argentinean restaurant (OK not Mexican) and just great value.

He also arranged 2 mornings worth of diving with a local hero called Manuel. Manuel was born in Tulum and told stories of playing in Mayan ruins before they were discovered again in the 80’s and 90’s. He took me on 2 superb boat dives off Cozumel. Although I am a PADI OWSI, I am used to diving the cold, 'fish free' waters of the UK, he made myself and the other divers very comfortable - the extra value was how he gave us the history of the places and a background to the dive sites - you could dwell he was really passionate about the ecology of the area and maintaining the quality of the coral reefs. the following day he took me to dive 2 Cenotes. One was Gran Cenote which was one of the most memorable dives of my life - clear, very clear water with amazing underwater, stalagmites and stalagtites and again he talked through the history of the site. The second denote dive was Calavera which although only a mile away from the first denote was a totally different type of experience. You walked into the jungle and there was this small rocky hole in the ground which was entered by a 3m giant stride… with weird rock formations and an amazing halocline - both dives were absolutely awesome

The sea and the beaches here are amazing - just like you see in the brochures , white sand and turquoise and blue water.

This was a holiday to remember - Tulum and Posada Luna del Sur were so special - lets keep it that way so don’t tell anyone about them

Room Tip: i only stayed in room 7 and it was clean light and airy - perfect for me and I couldnt fault it
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
1 Thank onemanand2dogs
Paris, France
Reviewed March 31, 2014

Overall, this place has great quality for the price and that's why I'm rating it "excellent".

I was tempted to describe it as “basic” but on reflection that under-rates it. It is a low-staff operation with simple, comfortable and clean rooms but there are thoughtful amenities that made it more than what I expected. Our rooms had little kitchenette-style corners equipped with a spacious fridge, a coffee machine, coffee, dishes and a sink, and a couple of bar stools and a small counter which enabled us to have snacks or breakfast (if we missed breakfast time). They also provide beach towels (beach is 4km away), there is reliable wifi (worked well from our room), and even the bath amenities are of decent quality. The place feels very secure.

Some reviewers have commented on the lack of presence of the owner, especially when problems arise. It is true that Tom has limited hours of availability and the rest of the crew does not speak much (or any) English. I can see how this might be frustrating but we were not hampered. We had some maintenance issues (e.g. the door to the balcony would not lock properly) but they were promptly addressed and Tom made a point of being available around breakfast time for any local guidance or tips.

Tom will happily direct you to his favorite restaurants, beach spots and bike rental. All were good advice except for Iguana Bikes which purports to offer a discount to Tom’s guests but never honored our reservations and really treated us poorly. There are other options in town, many closer and more honest.

Room Tip: Second floor is better, in my view. We had sunny balconies.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank superdeluxe
Cardiff, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 28, 2014

My wife and I spent two weeks in Mexico and four of the days we spent at The Posada luna del sur. our only regret was that we did not spend the whole two weeks at this hotel! it was run by a young man called Tom and his staff who were always available and helpful to advise us in all ways. this hotel is ideally located in the centre of Tulum with easy walking access to the town with transport available to all places of interest. we enjoyed spending time on the rooftop where breakfast was served with delicious dishes served both Mexican and English. the bedrooms were spotlessly clean with facilities to make your own snacks and all with pleasant balconies. to experience Mexican life this is the place to visit. we have travelled the world and always found boutique hotels more interesting and friendly and consider posada luna del sur the best of all. thank you Tom for for making this a memorable stay, we will definitely visit again.

Room Tip: all rooms looked very comfortable
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Edmonton, Canada
Reviewed March 24, 2014

We stayed for 8 nights and couldn't have been more pleased with this place and the hard work that Tom and his crew put in. We loved having a small kitchen area for making coffee and light breakfast items in the morning. We loved being right in the heart of the town, mixed in with the locals, yet super close to all of the fabulous restaurants and street carts.

Tom's map was FABULOUS!!! We went to almost every single restaurant that he recommended and were never displeased at all! We rented a car and also hit nearly every recommended area attraction on his map: Coba, Xcacel, Akumal, Tulum, Valladoid, Ek Balam, Sian Kaan - I think that pretty much covers it! We also took in a local game of soccer, and enjoyed the day we rented bikes and biked from town to the beach.

Tom helped us get our rental car at a discounted rate which was awesome! I had a massage in there room - also amazing!

If I could say one bad thing, it would be lack of a pool - but then again with the beach so close - you don't really miss it.

We were there at the tail end of the annual Mayan Festival, it was extended 3 nights due to poor weather the week before, and it was fun too! It was loud, but that's their culture and tradition. The music got started around 11 and went until 4 or 5am. We shared in the fun for one night, but then after that it was a bit much. His hotel is typically closed during this time, so to make up for the bit of noise, he left us a gift of ear plugs and a bottle of tequila to help us sleep!! We were very appreciative of the personal touch and attention.

Go to Tulum - stay here, rent a car and just start travelling and exploring!!

Room Tip: We were in room 6 which was near the end of the hall and we had no wifi - stay closer to the middle...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Sichy
Red Deer, Canada
Reviewed March 19, 2014

We stayed for two weeks and the room was very clean and the breakfast was good,all the staff were great the hotel is just off the main street so if your a light sleeper bring ear plugs as the traffic noise might keep you awake ,and if your a sound sleeper you will miss out on the roosters at 5 o,clock in the morning trying to wake you now that was kind of cool , I would stay here again but it would have been nice if there was a pool thats one thing we missed.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Ed h
Reviewed March 19, 2014

My husband and I stayed at Posada Luna del Sur for 7 days and it was the perfect spot for us. We chose Tulum because we wanted a beautiful but smaller, more authentic location and that description fits this hotel as well. The room was a great size, with a large couch, bed and kitchen area. While we didn't utilize the kitchen to the best of it's ability (we ate out everyday because we loved all the local cuisine), it was great to have just in case you wanted to store or prepare simple food items. The bottled water provided was much appreciated for drinking and brushing teeth. We had breakfast every morning on the rooftop and it was a perfect way to start the day; the service was extremely friendly and all the meals were fresh and delicious. The location of the hotel was ideal for us, walking distance to all the great stores, restaurants and bars in town. With the map that Tom provides and all his recommendations (which you can get anytime, he was readily available during and after breakfast before we left for the day), you know the best places to go for everything. Taxis to and from the beach were easy and affordable, you probably only need a rental if you want to take extended day trips. Overall, we had a fabulous time and are extremely happy we trusted the great reviews on Tripadvisor....Tom, thank you for the great stay (and the wine)!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple