Posada Luna del Sur
Orbitz.com
$153
$149
  • Breakfast included
All reviewstom's mapdetailed mapyucatan outdoorsrooftop patiogave us a mapcoffee makersitting areapurified watertowel animalshotel ownerevery morningsmall balconymexican breakfasttulum townair conditioningtaxi ridesecurity guard
Reviewed February 26, 2014

Tulum, Mexico is one of the most intoxicating beach paradises I've ever been to, and I'm not talking about just the margaritas and cervezas. Upon my first hour in Tulum, I thought, hmmm, this is a ramshackle and dusty town, but as I stepped out on my solo adventure, the place very quickly started to grow on me with its magical and colorful vibe of authentic Mexican meets international laid-back hip beach destination meets seat of ancient Mayan culture meets breathtaking natural tropical paradise --- until I was completely seduced by its charms after 5 nights. I can't wait to go back!!

My fabulous, rejuvenating, inspiring, and life-affirming experience in Tulum was enhanced greatly by my stay at Posada Luna del Sur. This is a sanctuary among hotels that provided a clean, modern, quiet, lovely, safe environment to stay with all the needed amenities and more, and the hospitality of Tom the proprietor is unparalleled.

Shortly after my arrival, Tom sat me down like I was his best friend and drew all over his exquisitely detailed map of Tulum with arrows, squiggles, and dots, directing me to his favorite places to go. This really helped me to feel confident stepping out solo in Tulum. His map is like a treasure map with treasure all over!

Tom directed me to rent a bike from Iguana Bikes. I absolutely loved riding my beach cruiser all over Tulum. It was the perfect way for me to explore different areas of the beach and the quaint streets of the town. I also did an early morning bike tour of the cenotes with the gracious proprietor of Iguana Bikes, Victor Hugo, and it was great.

Tom offers a lot of recommended tours, but in my limited time during the day I couldn't tear myself away from the spellbindingly gorgeous beaches of Tulum. At night, it was great to have Posada Luna del Sur as my home base to explore the restaurants, shops, and nightlife of the pueblo of Tulum.

Tulum felt so friendly and safe, and it was still reassuring to see a door man (usually Jose) most times I came and went from the hotel. Tom is very serious about keeping the hotel access for guests only, and there is a key just to get in the front door if the doorman isn't around. The roof top of the hotel is a fun place to hang out, watch the town and stunning clouds and sunsets, and and mingle with other hotel guests from around the world and have a tasty breakfast served by a kind staff. I almost always saw Tom up there (his apartment is just off of the common area), and he asked me repeatedly if I had any questions or if there was anything he could do to help me. Now that's personal service!

Tom gave me a lot of great restaurant recommendations, and my favorite among favorites was the fantastic taco stand near Dharma Gym. There I had my favorite meal in Tulum (chorizo and pastor tacos yes with an abundance of toppings to choose from) for about $3.50.

My room was spacious and comfy and I loved the kitchenette, sitting area, small patio, and delicious local coffee provided with coffeemaker. The only drawback of my room was not a lot of hot water in my shower, but I certainly didn't go all the way to Tulum to focus on being in the shower, and I get the sense that steady hot water isn't easy to come by in this part of the world.

Well I could rave on and on about my love of Tulum and Tom's hotel, but this has gotten pretty long already! I think you get the idea. You really can't go wrong with this, unless you don't like sensational beaches, sunshine, authentic colorful culture, kind people, perfect tacos, killer margaritas, breezes rustling through the coconut palms, and a hotel where you are made to feel at home!

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled solo
2  Thank rebeccapatt
Reviewed February 21, 2014

This is our second visit to Posada Lunda del Sur, and both trips have been phenomenal. The rooms are clean and relaxing, the staff are always helpful and cheerful, and Tom is an amazing resource; he tells you the best places to eat, and the best trips to go on, and can set you up with excellent guides. From everything to massages in your room, to kayaking in the biosphere, to bike rentals for trips to the beach, Tom's got you covered. Our first time in Tulum we booked massages before we arrived, outside the hotel -- such a mistake! I'm only booking through Tom in the future.

One of the best things about staying here is that you never have to wonder if the food will be good at the restaurant you selected, or hiring a guide will be worth it, or if you're wasting or time and money -- Tom's done all of that work for you, and it's a sure thing every time. You get personal recommendations, which allows you to wring as much happiness and fun out of your vacation as possible without wasting time or money. I can't recommend Posada Luna del Sur strongly enough. We're going back next year.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 20, 2014

My boyfriend and I stayed here for the second time this past Christmas, and as expected, we had a FANTASTIC time. Tom is the best host and incredibly helpful when you are planning excursions or would like a recommendation of where to eat. I couldn't imagine staying anywhere else in Tulum. The breakfast is delicious, the rooms are spacious and clean, the staff is friendly, and the neighbourhood is lovely. Book this hotel - you won't regret it!

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 16, 2014

It was my first time in Tulum and I'm so happy I stayed at Posada Luna del Sur! If Tulum and local life if what you want to truly experience, this is where you want to stay. Located in Tulum Pueblo, walking distance from all the shops, restaurants and bars in town.
The hotel is really cute, very clean and the rooms are quite spacious! All of the staff is very friendly and the breakfasts prepared on the rooftop terrasse were all delicious. Gareth the owner is really nice and welcoming! Always ready to suggest cool spots in Tulum and around to check out, making my experience that much more authentic and amazing!
I would definitely recommend Posada Luna del Sur to my friends.

• Stayed: January 2014
1  Thank Evableva
Reviewed February 16, 2014

I love this place. This was my 4th time staying there and I keep going back yearly, it's just perfect really.

The price is affordable unlike many places on the beach, and you get so much value. It may be in town but it's only a short taxi ride away from the beach and right next to great restaurants, bars, and other amenities. Being on the beach is cool for sure, but I actually prefer being in town.

The rooms are super clean and have everything you need... air conditioning, hot water, a fridge, sink, dishes, cutlery, fresh drinking water, a safe and more... You're totally set to prepare food & snacks for the beach and relax there in comfort. Wifi up on the terrace is good if you need it, it even reaches down into a couple of the rooms. Being tucked away just off the road surely makes it way quieter than all the other hotels right on the main, you sleep well. What more could you ask for?

Breakfast is killer. It used to be included in the price which was even better, but it's still totally affordable and prob the best breaky in town, authentic fresh made Mexican dishes... Or you can get the basics like eggs & bacon too. The breakfast is big enough to keep going well into the day. You can ask for it spicy at your own risk, fresh habanero is so good.

More than any of that, it comes down to your host Gareth/Tom. He's just got you covered. Tips on where to go, where to eat, what to see, arranging taxis to get you back to the airport, organizing adventure tours for you, even giving you sunscreen when you run out, always checking on you to make sure you're well, and just being awesome.

Anyone he sets you up with, be it a taxi driver, tour guide or dive master, has been screened by him personally to make sure they're solid... I've only had very positive experiences on all of my excursions arranged in-house. I highly suggest you inquire about some tours/dives/site seeing, let them take care of you rather than fishing around in town, he tends to work with the same people and they're all super cool.

Any successful business arguably comes down to solid customer service, and that's where these guys take the cake, for me it always feels like a home away from home... This a great place to stay at to enjoy and discover all the beauty Tulum has to offer. I'll be back next year again for sure.

• Stayed: February 2014