“I want to go back soon!”

Weary Traveler Hostel
Ranked #26 of 119 Specialty Lodging in Tulum
Louisiana, USA
“I want to go back soon!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 21, 2008

This hostel made my whole trip to Mexico even better. I made so many friends here that i still keep in contact with, and every day i wonder why i left to fly back home. The common area was great for meeting people b/c it was so open and hammocks for siestas. They had a little bar with cheap drinks, so you didn't even have to go out for the night. The rooms were clean and so were the bathrooms. I stayed in a large mixed dorm and it was nice. People were considerate, so even though we had lockers (bring your own locks) you didn't have to lock up your stuff. People weren't sketchy. Found this place after staying at the Lobo Inn one night (awful. it was only good 'cuz it was across the street from the ruins. but it was a 5 minute cab drive from the town). Weary is right by the bus stop, and in the middle of the whole town. Just 5 minutes from the beach. Great hostel if you are outgoing and want to make new friends. I will definitely be going back when i visit Tulum, which just so happens to now be one of my all-time favorite cities.

• Liked — how easy it was to meet great people from all different countries
  • Disliked — their internet rarely works
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with friends
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
UK
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 9, 2008

I went here by reference!! But the place was not for me. It was dirty, noisey (music played outside dorm till late) and full of biting insects.

The facilities are okay (but dirty). There is no where to chill as everything is crammed into one courtyard.

I stayed at the Nomados Hostel in Merdia prior to this and that place is lovely. What a contrast!

This hostel is for young party animals who don't mind dirty conditions. If you prefer a more relaxed, quieter and cleaner place stay at the Hostel Mayan where I just moved to.

• Stayed June 2008, traveled solo
1 Thank Anon29

Travelers are raving about these Tulum hotels

mex
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 25, 2008

this place is not that clean, not so cheap and not so bad.

i mean, yes, it's quite expensive for the place itself but it's lots of fun because people staying there were interesting. i mean, if you're looking to have fun and not caring about luxury, this is a good place to stay in. otherwise, you'd better stay in the hotel next to this hostel.

for me was fun which is what i was looking for.

• Liked — nothing
  • Disliked — everything
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled with friends
1 Thank oriols83
Redlands, California
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 31, 2007

Ok, this place is in a good location in the town of Tulum. However, my room was dirty and smelly. The hostel is really loud. It was hard to sleep, since they played music loudly. Also, I didn't like that I had to wear some hostel bracelet which acted like a credit card.

Stayed December 2007
Hamilton, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 2, 2007

Stayed here for 4 days. Great location just down from the bus station and in good proximity to restaurants, stores, grocery store etc. (Tulum is not that big of a place).

Great communal kitchen. They have the basics, including rice and pasta, you provide the rest. Can use the BBQ at night for $2 (they provide what you need, you cook it).

Breakfast is included in the price and is pretty good from what Ive seen so far. Again, its cook-your-own, but in addition to the standard toast and jam and coffee (bad coffee, by the way!), they have cereal (you have to buy the milk though), eggs and pancake batter for you to cook your own breakfast. There are a few good fruit & vegetable markets just down the road past the bus station, so we found that we supplemented our breakfast with some great, cheap fruit.

The dorm we stayed in was ok. 8 beds, a bathroom that could have been cleaner. It was in a building across the road and not actually at the main Weary Traveler. Much quieter, and we had full access to all the Weary Traveler goodies. It was somewhat hot. This building had a kitchen as well, but the stove didnt work and because the atmosphere was so much better across the road, we hung out there.

There was a free shuttle to the beach (leave from out front of the Weary Traveler at 9am or 12pm, pick up at the beach at 12:30pm or 5pm). Very key, as the beach is somewhat out of town (you can rent bikes in town if you want). The beach in Tulum is one of the best I have been to, and the ruins are a short walk away. Not as big or grand as Chichen Itza or Coba, but the location is amazing.

I would definitely stay here again. The hostel was great fun and good value!

• Stayed December 2007, traveled with friends
Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 18, 2007

Walked in Weary travelers hostel exsausted from the road from Flores Guatemala. I met the most interesting charactors from all over the world and they all has a story to tell me. It was alot of fun and I am much older then your average backpacker. I did not catch any bed bugs ,lice or bugs at all. A bus came every morning to take me and everyone else to the beautiful beach and picked us up promptly as they said they would. I cooked my own food and made my own coffee. Great for a shoestring traveler like me. Internet was free. Yes they party at night but once you close your door you can not hear it. I stayed alot longer then expected due to the exciting people I met there.

• Liked — The open Kitchen...The cool atmosphere of the other travelers,Close to bus.
  • Disliked — N/A
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled solo
1 Thank fchavira2
London
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 12, 2007

The dorm I stayed in was so small and full of bed bugs. The toilet and bathroom were so dirty and the toilet blocked all the time. One time I had to call the staff to unblock the toilet and she was so unwilling to do so. People constantly party in this hostel until dawn. I had this situation that people from my room kept banging the door as they were so drunk and when I opened the door there was a couple came in and started kissing next to me (I was in the lower bunk). So it did drain me out from not sleeping well while I stayed there.

Stayed April 2007