“Nice atmosphere but not worth the price for dorms”

Weary Traveler Hostel
Ranked #27 of 141 Specialty Lodging in Tulum
Reviewed April 18, 2013 via mobile

The female dorm room was small and cramped which made sleeping unbearably hot. The outside area was lovely but they had a bar selling beers for 25 pesos each and didn't allow you to bring in your own, making drinking expensive. A dorm was 150 pesos a night (more than advertised in last years Mexico lonely planet) and it didn't feel worth the money.

• Stayed: April 2013

Reviewed April 16, 2013

Is your room, there is a fan on the ceiling that is supposed to be on the ground but is not so you can get NO AIR AT ALL. That is amazing! I went to some bad hostels but this one is the worse. I couldn't sleep for almost the whole night and I usually can sleep in any condition. At the table where everyone eats, people smoke. So if you're a non smoker forget about eating, you can't with the tabacco smell all around you. Plus, the girl that was supposed to give us our key only spoke spanigh so it was kind of hard to understand each other. Go to mama's place, it<s just near the weary traveler and this hostel really is amazing!

Room Tip: Don<t go there.
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Catherineblouin
Reviewed April 10, 2013

I stayed here for two nights and was ready to leave Tulum. The space itself wasn't awful, but I did not feel like anybody cared whether I was there or not. The hostel has a large central space that is constantly filled with people. I felt that I was just anonymous. I recommend moving to a different hostel unless you like big party-hostels. Also, this is NOT near the beach, which is a bummer. I discovered that you can camp out on the beach for much less money, but I found this out too late!

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed March 26, 2013

I stayed here out of necessity a week or so ago. I got a double private room with my girlfriend. It was located down the street. Only one key set was provided for the building. One key for the main entry and one for the room. The problem was if you wanted to split up for any reason, you have to meet before you go back, as you cant access the room, or even the building. Yelling from the street up to the room doesn't work as it is loud. The room was disgustingly small with crap linen and the shower in the bathroom actually fell apart while I was there. Dont get one of these rooms, there are better and cheaper places to stay in town.

The staff at reception are really grumpy too. Maybe they have seen too many drunken travelers, but we aren't all like that. Maybe they are in the wrong line of work if they don't like us.

There is also a no cash system where you pay at the end and have to do all purchases electronically with your key(another annoyance with only one key per room). This includes all food purchases and beer at the bar. It adds up before you know it and you pay in bulk when you leave. Also there are always people selling stuff in the common area, making hammocks, bracelets etc... I personally like to go back to the hostel/hotel to get away from street hawkers. Tulum is more expensive than Playa or Cozumel for these trinkets, so expect the same at the hostel. (a beach sarong at $35 in Tulum is around $8 in Playa) And you have to drink the hostels alcohol, there are signs saying "No oustide alcohol, ours is cheap anyway" or something similar. But at $25 pesos a bottle it is a lot more that bringing your own, and pretty much the same as any local bar or restaurant. plus you don't realize what you are spending until you check out. There is also an option to cook your own burger. But at the price charged, you can go to any other place and get a meal delivered to your table from nice local Mexicans, and support better people.

Weary traveler is probably the best place to meet people, but I wouldn't stay here even if I was alone. after 2-3 weeks in Tulum, I've found so many better places. Just avoid it if you can.

Room Tip: Avoid privates and get a dorm.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed March 14, 2013

i spent 5 nights in a 4 person dorm with a private bath. had i been more prepared i would have booked the dorm with A/C as tulum is very hot (at least in february). the room was clean as was the bathroom. the vibe at the hostel was great with great entertainment in the evenings.

if you want to socialize and have fun this is the place for you, however if you are not into that spare everyone the winging and stay elsewhere!

Room Tip: there are dorms with only 2 bunks. they are more spacious than those with 3 bunks. A/C would have be...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed March 11, 2013 via mobile

Sorry to have to write a bad review, but I really do. This place is expensive for what they provide. I shared a dorm with 5 obnoxious guys and there were not enough lockers for everyone. There wasn't enough room in the tiny dorms and we were constantly climbing over each others stuff. Bass music right outside the dorms til about 11pm even though people are just sitting around trying to have a conversation. In the morning, no running water in the bathrooms! Then at breakfast you have to order what you want on a computer (like 2 eggs and bread), print it off then hand it to the human who has been standing there the whole time, who hands you 2 eggs and bread and off you go to cook. I found it really weird and impersonal. And then I got a nasty electric shock from the toaster. And then I decided to check out early, and I wasn't the only one. I'm now staying at sheck hostel, heaps better. On the plus side, their tour deals are fairly good deals if you are into that.

• Stayed: March 2013
1  Thank Meegsa
Reviewed March 9, 2013

We stayed one night at Weary Traveler Hostel in early February, 2013.
We did not plan to stay here, but we had no choice, then. A lot of places had no availability, and this place was very close to where we stayed.

One of the staff was very friendly and nice. The room was not that nice, but may be other rooms are better. The location is fine, which is not far from the main street. Young and budget travelers should find this place okay. They have free breakfast, which you cook yourself! It was sort of fun! They also have a backyard in the main location where they have events and music in the evening. Oh, they also have a free shuttle to the beach twice a day every day. We did not use it, but it seemed lots of people appreciated this service.

We stayed in a private room, which is located in a different building from the main location. The room was small, and windows were dirty from birds’ dropping. They had a safe in the room, but it was not usable. A window-net was torn.

It was fun to hang out in the backyard of the main building. They also have cafes next-door, where many people hang out. Although we did not cook at all, they have a kitchen facility, and we saw a lot of people cooking. They have one long bench table and some hammocks in the backyard, and lots of people hang out there. It was really cool place if you want to meet people. In fact, we met a cool French couple and had a great evening, chatting with them. You do not need to stay in the hostel to come and drink, dance, and chat with people. But, we are really glad to find this backyard because unless we stayed in the hostel, we might not have found the place.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple