“had a great time at Weary tavelors inn tulum”

Weary Traveler Hostel
Ranked #20 of 116 Specialty Lodging in Tulum
Texas
“had a great time at Weary tavelors inn tulum”
Reviewed October 18, 2007

Walked in Weary travelers hostel exsausted from the road from Flores Guatemala. I met the most interesting charactors from all over the world and they all has a story to tell me. It was alot of fun and I am much older then your average backpacker. I did not catch any bed bugs ,lice or bugs at all. A bus came every morning to take me and everyone else to the beautiful beach and picked us up promptly as they said they would. I cooked my own food and made my own coffee. Great for a shoestring traveler like me. Internet was free. Yes they party at night but once you close your door you can not hear it. I stayed alot longer then expected due to the exciting people I met there.

• Liked — The open Kitchen...The cool atmosphere of the other travelers,Close to bus.
  • Disliked — N/A
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled solo
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank fchavira2

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
London
Reviewed April 12, 2007

The dorm I stayed in was so small and full of bed bugs. The toilet and bathroom were so dirty and the toilet blocked all the time. One time I had to call the staff to unblock the toilet and she was so unwilling to do so. People constantly party in this hostel until dawn. I had this situation that people from my room kept banging the door as they were so drunk and when I opened the door there was a couple came in and started kissing next to me (I was in the lower bunk). So it did drain me out from not sleeping well while I stayed there.

Stayed April 2007
3 Thank nicolandbobo

Travelers are raving about these Tulum hotels

New York
Reviewed March 27, 2007

Okay first of all ALL the previous reviews about this hostile are all true. We made reservations and paid a deposit online 2 months in advance when we arrived on march 15th at 930pm the lady at the counter had no records of this and had no available private room like we had reserved. we had to share a room with 3 other people we didnt know for the first night. however after that the next day this older woman who was extremely kinder than the woman b4 let me use her phone to call home to new york and she found us a room in a the hostel around the corner that was connected to the weary traveler and sent us with this guy who was extremely helpful the entire stay there and we got our own private room with our own bathroom and he was staying in the room downstairs, we werent bothered at all by anyone and we actually had a great time staying there with him. we took his email and his phone number so we could contact him for our next trip down to cancun, he spoke perfect english as well which also made us happy. so from now on we are going to schedule our trips through him. it was perfect after we got through the first night. although no meals are included it was only $10 a night for a pretty nice, clean room. no bugs at all and it had a fan. we were very suprised b/c i dont think i couldve stayed at the same hostel we first arrived too.

Stayed March 2007
Brandon, Canada
Reviewed February 6, 2007

Arrived after suppertime on Saturday, 03 February 2006. Jonathan said that things were "really dead" and they had lots of spaces available. I'd been travelling on buses for 13 hours from San Ignacio, Belize, but he assured me that quiet time was 11pm to 7am. Jonathan found me an "empty" upper bunk (in Room #8 with six bunks) and offered to change the sheets while I ate a late supper. Spent the rest of the evening talking with groups of other travellers from around the world. One group of four said they weren't going to bed until 4am and purchased a bottle of rum from Reception at 11pm, just before it closed. They spent the next several hours in the courtyard: drinking, talking, swearing, playing music, and loudly denegrating other travellers whom they'd met earlier that evening at the hostel. A rain shower (at around 3am) finally broke up their little party. Turns out that my "empty" bunk actually belonged to one of the party boys, so he burst into Room #8, drunk, and woke everybody up loudly bemoaning the fact that somebody was "sleeping" in his bed. He raised such a ruckus that the hostel's night security staffer, who had apparently been out in the courtyard all the time (!!!), offered to cover his bar bill because of the inconvenience which the hostel had caused HIM.

3 Thank SuperDave47
fort wayne in
Reviewed January 21, 2007

i was greatly impressed with all the weary traveler had to offer..first a bed, yea! true i had to share with my 2 friends and 3 others, but the room was clean and the decor simple..it was so peacefull in the mornings with a delicious breakfast..then a free bus ride to and from the beach!! they had a bar right there, and hammocks to lay in and enjoy the breeze..and at night we sat around and barbaqued and told stories of where we were from and what we did that day..i felt safe when i slept..and absoultly loved it..i am going back next month, my friends are going to honduras first, but i told them i only wanted to go to the weary traveler..hospitality to the max..like i said greatly impressed..rhonda elmes

Stayed February 2006
leeds
Reviewed November 29, 2006

we got locked in here during the hurricane (05). place was a mess, to be expected, but we were all well looked after! great atmosphere!

Stayed October 2006
Tucson
Reviewed November 5, 2006

I have to agree with the previous two reviews. The rooms/beds/toilets/showers in this place are DIRTY and it is way too expensive. To avoid the 500 pesos deposit (yes, that is way exagerated) you can also give your ID (but don't do it, on check-out they forgot to give it back to me; don't ever give away your ID when traveling btw!).
I went to this place as it got a reasonably good review from my guidebook, but since my guidebook was 5 years old, I can only assume the place has changed drastically (for the worse) over the years. This is also reflected on this site (older reviews are good, newer reviews are bad). My recommendation: avoid this place!

• Liked — near bus station (but other hostels are as well)
  • Disliked — dirty, expensive, bad location (not near beach, not near historical site)
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled solo
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank jaime007