“Ups and downs”

Ranked #27 of 95 Hotels in Tulum
Denver,Colorado
“Ups and downs”
Reviewed May 30, 2014

Well, the first night (of 4 nights) we stayed her I was immediately writing an awful review in my head. I got to my room and the a/c remotes battery was dead so I spent the first night freezing thinking the a/c was broken. To top that off, their nightly musical show sounded like they were playing in my room and went on for hours. The next day I complained about my a/c, it was quickly fixed. I also stumbled on a set of ear plugs which also helped to noise. Just a heads up, when making reservations try to get the room furthest from the amphitheater. All in all, the staff was very quick to help you out with whatever you need. Everything was spotlessly clean including the beach. I do recommend making reservations to the Mexican restaurant they have on site. We did that the last night and we had Mariachi guys sing and they did a wonderful job. The buffet was hit and miss but you could mostly find something that could suffice. Stick with beer for your drinks and they water down the mixed drinks.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
3 Thank neazea

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
  • Hebrew first
Auckland, New Zealand
Reviewed May 28, 2014

This resort is brilliant and here's why:

Resort is gorgeous. It's truly a resort that knows how to work with its surroundings. Authentic Mexican, Italian beach cabana decor with clean exquisite rooms including the bathroom! Excellent new AC, flat screen TV, bottled water everyday in rooms. The beach is stunning. Quiet and clean - so clean and safe that turtles travelled here to lay their eggs. Cute!

Staff are great! So friendly and they even have awesome entertainment staff who come from Italy and speak Spanish, French, English and Italian. These guys offer daily fun for all the guests including stretching, aqua aerobics, night shows and beach games.

We had an all inclusive plan which means all domestic food and drink covered- breakfast, lunch and dinner provided with 'snacks'. Always fresh fruit available except when they run out on the rare occasion at the bar in the afternoons. Bar staff always go beyond to make you your perfect drink. There was always a wide variety of vegetables, fruit, meats and sweets which provided a fantastically well-rounded meal & snacks normally consisted of fruit, pastries, homemade pizza & nachos.

Improvements needed - the bar. Would've been great to be able to sit down at bar so some bar stools would have been great. It's always windy which is a good thing as so hot but when sun starts to go down you can feel it! Sitting at bar under cover on some bar stools would be a great solution otherwise you'll retreat to your room.

Also the free WiFi was only available in the lobby although you can pay US$12 per day for WiFi in your room. The free WiFi was horribly slow & cut out constantly so if you were taking time to go sit in the lobby, it is extremely disappointing that it takes forever to download or view anything.

Anyway, we came here to stop, relax and lie by the beach for 8days on a beautiful quiet clean beach in Mexico and got exactly what we wanted. Was a great place to stay and would recommend this place to a friend. Definitely value for your money.

Room Tip: Tip! Choose a room with an ocean view like we did. The other rooms may not be as nice as they face t...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
5 Thank samson_wall
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed May 27, 2014 via mobile

Stayed for 5 nights and it was one of our favorite places so far. Rooms and the beach were perfect at this small resort. Buffet was ok.

Luis at the bar treated us amazing and was very inviting and professional. Damn good fresh margaritas. Be back soon!

Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Buddy209
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 11, 2014

We stayed at the hotel for 10 nights in April 2014 and we were very happy with our stay.
We had a fairly large ground floor room with sea views, that had a very large double bed and a single bed. I cannot fault the room and the cleanliness!

Breakfast was good with lots of choice; omelette, eggs, pancakes, sausages,bacon, cereal, yoghurt, fruit and endless of varieties of bread and pastries.

Lunch was also good with 5-6 different hot options, Mexican taco station and lots of salads, bread, fruit and various kinds of cake or ice cream. Dinner was similar.
I don't eat meat so I can't comment on the actual meat dishes.
We tried the Mexican restaurant on site but they struggled to feed a pescatarian like me, even though they tried their best.
My only concern regarding the food would be for vegetarians as their salads often contained sausages/meat and/or fish.

Can't comment on the inclusive alcoholic drinks as I was pregnant at the time. My partner seemed to like the beer though.

The beach is lovely and cleaned everyday. It is a private beach so no vendors hassling you. There's enough loungers on the beach and around the three pools to swallow all the guest without the resort feeling crowded.

We found the staff at the resort friendly and helpful.
The animation staff put on shows at night which we never went to (not our thing) but we heard the singing and it sounded pretty awful. Some people seemed to enjoy it though.

All in all a great place by the beach, we would definitely come again.

Room Tip: We stayed in room 36 which I recommend!
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Johanna o
Tel Aviv, Israel
Reviewed May 8, 2014

I Stayed at PavoRreal for 4 nights during April. As a person who usually avoids places which are considered "all included" I was positively surprised to find that the place had a very relaxed and laid back atmosphere as I usually like. The complex is very large, the rooms clean and well maintained. We stayed in a superior room with a balcony facing the sea. The beach is beautiful, natural and quiet. There are also areas of activity – pool and volleyball but they are well situated in at the end of the beach and the main resort and they don’t bother whoever wishes to keep on the quite mode. Restaurant was excellent and the 3 meals a day were tasty and varied

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Alex S
Carolina
Reviewed May 7, 2014

I have been to tulum twice and this is my first time at an all inclusive resort...in fact, other than a cruise...this is my first all inclusive anything. Pavoreal is very authentic...and feels like you are in Mexico...my boyfriend and I went for our 1 year anniversary and wanted a romantic spot...Pavoreal delivered. The beach is secluded nad feels private..the guests were very multicultural and added to the experience. We met French, Spanish, Italian, Romanian, Argentenian, and American guests. Very family friendly. Lots of wild life on land and by sea. Beachcombing is decent and snorkeling is fair. The drawbacks are that the beach towel service is very limited and STRICT...two towels per couple...thats it and if you get them dirty you can only exchange them for new ones between 9 and 12. They are also very strict with snorkel equipment and kayaks. YOu cant use a kayak for more than an hour per day or a snorkel mask and equipment for the same amount of time..you cant snorkle and kayak either...its either one or the other. As for the other parts..the room we had was a superior sea view..very nice...clean...but few amenties. we had a safe and a very tiny refrigderator. Air conditioning was definitely a plus. THe food was AMAZING...lunch everyday was so fresh and the drinks by the extremely friendly bartenders were strong and tasty....I especially liked my mojitos. The pools are decent and the beach is immaculate. We very much enjoyed our stay.

Room Tip: Junior suites are the best bet seeing as they are the largest and are right on the water...superior...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Kseascaper
California
Reviewed May 5, 2014

Well, where do we start?! We had a good time at this resort. The staff are very friendly, and the rooms are good quality. You've gotta get something facing the ocean. There are other rooms off to the side that I wouldn't have wanted to be in.

Pros

We had a room upstairs, our friends larger suite was downstairs and both rooms had a balcony facing the ocean.
We had a bar and two pools outside our room. Elisio cut down coconuts with a machete and made us some great drinks.
The omelette bar at the buffet was good, and some days they had pancakes.
Fresh fruit at the buffet is great.
I participated in a free yoga type stretching routine on the beach in the morning that was really cool.

Cons
The coffee at the buffet is not fresh! It comes out of a machine. It's not bad, but it's not fresh. Very disappointing.
The buffet is okay, but the same scrambled eggs and nasty refried beans everyday are not good.
I was told I could change my room reservation, 5 mins after booking it, and they were supposed to refund the difference. I spoke to the hotel 3 different times and they assured me it would be fine. But, checking out with Angela, she said No, and proceeded to read me the cancellation/change information. I told her who I spoke with and she would not budge, she was really nice about it too. After being stung by a sting ray on the beach I was too exhausted to argue with her.
There's a lot of seaweed on the beach, and this means high biodiversity. Watch out for stingrays, you do not want to step on one. I thought they'd be further out, but I stepped on one about 15 feet from the beach. Management made me go to the hospital and the cab was $50 round trip. Stiches were free.

Raul was great, Alex, Elisio, all of the Italian staff, everyone was very friendly. We really enjoyed our time here. The first day we swam in the ocean was so amazing. We got some great photos.

Next time we would rent a car. The taxis have no meters and are very expensive. If you don't speak spanish, forget about it. You're better off driving. It's not as dangerous to drive in Tulum, as other it is in other parts of Mexico.

Also, you must exchange your money for pesos before you arrive or you will get a horrible rate...

Bring your own maps, it's hard to get a good one. Most of the handouts are advertisements.

All in all, great experience.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple