“Excellent just a bit expensive”

Tulum Monkey Sanctuary
Ranked #29 of 89 things to do in Tulum
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: The Tulum Monkey Sanctuary was closed on October 13, 2014 due to the death of the owner of the property. Thank you for your support. The Tulum Monkey Sanctuary is a privately owned 60 acre ranch. On the ranch we have 15 rescued Spider Monkeys that live in natural habitats. There are also wild monkeys that pass through on their normal feeding routes. In addition to Spider Monkeys we have saved many, many animals including lots of street dogs. Although the Tulum Monkey Sanctuary is closed at the moment we hope you will support us in our move to the YuCARE Ranch. The YuCARE Foundation will be dedicated to broad based animal rescue (starting with the monkeys of Tulum Monkey Sanctuary) and will be self-sustaining both financially and environmentally.
Reviewed December 5, 2013

Great guided tour with an excellent story of how the sanctuary came to be and its noble future.
The friendly and knowledgeable guides really help the experience.
Monkeys, turtles, ducks, a crocodile, and lots of geckos and butterflies!
It was a great afternoon, highly recommend a visit and a jump in the cenote is a must!
Just a tip...bring insect repellent.

1  Thank JezandStacy

Reviewed December 5, 2013

We could not be more pleased with our experience! Greeted by Joe (super cool chick), a donkey and John followed by his happy dogs, we immediately felt welcome. We were the only ones in our tour so we had the place all to ourselves.
John did the first half of our tour and first took us over to the horses and a cute little colt who let us pet him. Next we were introduced to Don Tito (I think that was his name. He's he head honcho of the spider monkeys) who ACTUALLY greeted us as well with a hand-to-chest gesture. Next we met more spider monkeys! Some adolescents who they were trying to pair. They were very silly. Mimi likes to walk on her feet and the boy, who only had one full arm, liked to swing! There was a nursery filled with more mature monkeys and wild spider monkeys are were very interested in them that day. John was surprised at how many were near us and unfazed by our presence. He told us this was rare and was even taking photos himself! He left us alone to visit with all the animals for 15 min or so. There was a temporary cage with parakeets, ducklings and their mother, and BUNNIES! They had a deer and a beautiful lagoon containing turtles, an ALLIGATOR (or croc? I confuse the two) and nearby, wary ducks. This is where Joe took over the tour.
She told us stories of the ranch and the owner. Oh by the way, did I mention that a cute little friendly dog AND cat pretty much followed us around the ENTIRE tour?!? Ugh, I die of cuteness....
Next up was their cenote. We were unsure if we were going to jump in because we had planned on going to Gran Cenote afterwards. But Joe easily convinced us once we got there by jumping right in the sketchy looking hole. We happily followed and once inside were amazed. Swimming under low hanging stalactites and cute little bats we swam to the other side where it is very open and beautiful. What a refreshing way to end the tour!
John offered to take us to Gran Cenote and we got to ride in the back of his truck (legal in Mexico)! Unfortunately, my stupid self left our towel which contained my bikini top. I didn't realize until I wanted to jump into Gran Cenote. So... we just took pictures and left. Happy we got our cenote fill at the sanctuary! I got in contact with John that night and he immediately responded saying he had my stuff and took it to our hotel soon after. So thankful!
The crew at the Monkey Sanctuary are top-notch, knowledgeable and have kind hearts. The animals are well cared for and it shows in their happy demeanor. It was definitely a special experience. Please choose this place if you wish to interact with any wildlife in Tulum. Definitely magical!

3  Thank CocoMango83
Reviewed December 2, 2013

WOW....What a wonderful day. Our group of 4 joined 2 others for a tour with James. First of all let me say that James was "Outstanding". He was such a joy, very knowledgeable, and allowed us to take all the time we wanted in each section of the sanctuary. The monkey's were out and about, very visible. We were even able to go into the cages with one of the monkey's (Mia), and got a lot of great pictures.

Walking in the jungle was very interesting as well, and the cenote for swimming was a real treat (and Beautiful) after walking around all morning.

This is a "Not to Miss" opportunity for all ages.

Reviewed November 27, 2013

The other reviews have covered it well. The Tulum Monkey Sanctuary is a jungle ranch open to two small group tours each day—not a major professional attraction. It's a labor of love working hard to get by, and visiting it is like meeting friends of friends. Nothing about the tour we got from John felt packaged or controlled. Questions were answered conversationally, and as long as we didn't go missing, all of us had the opportunity to hang back and check things out as our fancy struck. At one point John went elsewhere on a short errand and as I milled around, I saw that he'd let two of our group into one of the large monkey enclosures: a man sat cross-legged on the ground petting Mimi, the monkey, on his lap, while his four-year-old daughter stood closely by.

The cenote swim near the end looked like a blast. I don't swim, so all I could do was take pictures, but it was almost as fun to watch as it must have been to do. I have to say it again: this is more like visiting a cool friend's house than taking a tour. There are no bus groups here. It was a highlight of our trip.

2  Thank JohntheEditor
Reviewed November 25, 2013

If you are in the area this is a must! A great way to see some of the indigenous wildlife of the jungle with informative and interesting guides. Flora, fauna, rescued monkeys and the opportunity to swim through cenotes...a fantastic experience!

1  Thank Amaruthar