“Eco-Fun in Tulum!”

Tulum Monkey Sanctuary
Ranked #22 of 86 things to do in Tulum
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: The Tulum Monkey Sanctuary was closed on October 13, 2014 due to the death of the owner of the property. Thank you for your support. The Tulum Monkey Sanctuary is a privately owned 60 acre ranch. On the ranch we have 15 rescued Spider Monkeys that live in natural habitats. There are also wild monkeys that pass through on their normal feeding routes. In addition to Spider Monkeys we have saved many, many animals including lots of street dogs. Although the Tulum Monkey Sanctuary is closed at the moment we hope you will support us in our move to the YuCARE Ranch. The YuCARE Foundation will be dedicated to broad based animal rescue (starting with the monkeys of Tulum Monkey Sanctuary) and will be self-sustaining both financially and environmentally.
New York
“Eco-Fun in Tulum!”
Reviewed May 28, 2013

My boyfriend and I booked and appointment for a tour of the Money Sanctuary on a recent trip to Tulum. it is located on the road to Coba, just follow the directions provided on their website and you can't miss it! We were greeted by Richard, the Owner and were given a great tour of this exciting place, that was astoundingly gorgeous and special. On the property you will see Many animals including monkeys that have been rescued and are thriving on this preserve, including Horses, a Donkey, Deer, Crocodiles, and hundreds of birds! The Spider Monkeys were all over the property some free in designated monkey zones and some in large cages on the grounds. They were all so carefully cared for and soo Sweet! We even got to interact and feed one of the monkeys which was awesome!

John who runs the tours and works with Richard on developing the property came and met us and led us through the rest of the grounds leading up to the fantastic Cenotes. The whole time John and Richard gave us such detailed and great information about each of the animals and plant life that are on the reserve, it was clear that it is a very personal project for them and they truly care about creating a sustainable ecosystem. The Cenotes were absolutely stunning. They are natural underground freshwater caves created over thousands of years, We had the opportunity to jump into one and swim underground to another opening a few yards away, an experience you wont find anywhere else! it was soo exhilerating and cool!

My Boyfriend and I are city people and don't normally get into nature so much, but the environment there was so gorgeous, and the animals clearly thriving, and we were drawn in!
It was an unforgettable experience that we will never forget. I'd recommend it to people of all ages as a beautiful and fun place to visit.. It is completely safe and family friendly and also super fun and romantic for couples. It was by far the highlight of our trip to Tulum!

Round Rock, Texas
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Amazing non-commercial attraction”
Reviewed May 26, 2013

John and Richard are both awesome. I had emailed them about a dozen times trying to figure out how I was actually going to get to their place and they always responded super quick and helpful. They arranged transportation for us which made everything really easy.

John does all the tours, he speaks perfect english due to him being from the USA. Was nice to not have to struggle to understand anything being said like on other tours.

We did the Monkeys and Margaritas tour, its later in the day than normal tours and has a nice hang out time at the end where you can talk to John and Richard and relax.

After you arrive John takes you on a tour of the property, you see many spider monkeys, some are in enclosures while they are slowly introduced to the main population. We got to visit with Mimi, a monkey that was originally a pet. She loved to have her back scratched and you could pet her hands, tail, legs, back. She was the highlight of the monkey interaction because she was so friendly.

We got to see many other animals that were rescued and are living on the property, deer, ducks, rabit, horses. There is even a crocodile that made a home in the water near the house.

Swimming in the cenote was another amazing opportunity. You can jump straight down a hole into 10 feet of water and then swim inside the cave to the main entrance. There are bats in the cave and the water is cool, clean and refreshing.

As I said, John does all the tours, and he is great at it. He really makes things fun, tells stories along the way, interacts with kids to make them enjoy things more.

You are in the jungle and depending on how the rain is you will need to bring mosquito repellent. They have some available if you don't bring any, but I highly recommend you bring some strong stuff with you. On the other side, you are in the jungle and out of most of the sunlight so it is quite pleasant and not overly hot.

If we had spent more time in Mexico we would have come back a second time. The tour is great because its very relaxed and completely non commercialized. No tourist traps, no vendors selling stuff around every corner. Take 4 hours out of your trip and go here, you won't regret it!

1 Thank Machater
Atlanta, Georgia
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 13 helpful votes
“A unique place with a good heart”
Reviewed May 25, 2013

I really enjoyed my visit to Tulum Monkey Sanctuary. If you are an animal lover and interested at all in rehabilitation, you will appreciate Richard's efforts to give these monkeys a second chance at a good quality life. The monkeys are only a part of the experience here...the ranch property is very interesting and beautiful, with underground caves, bridges and more, and you'll see other animals (i.e. deer, a crocodile perhaps, many birds). I was pleased to learn Richard is also starting a dog rescue at the ranch as well, his love for animals in general is quite admirable. I hope this facility continues to grow and achieve their goals for the animals that need them. You will need to call ahead to make a reservation as it is a private ranch, and know it is difficult to find off the road, look for the small yellow and green sign across the street from a better marked larger ranch.

1 Thank KristinBATL
Seattle, Washington
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Nice break from the beach”
Reviewed May 25, 2013

I had been snorkeling, and sat on the beach for too many days so I wanted to see something different.

Booked online the night before and made my way out to the ranch the next day.

I enjoyed seeing the spider monkeys. Based on some of the reviews I have read now, I wish I would have gotten some of the interaction that others groups had. The mother and baby were super cute and new how to ham it up for us.

The hike at the end was a bit drawn out and we didn't see anything of real interest along the way (in my opinion) after the suspension bridge/cave section. It could be a tough hike for small children or those that aren't used to such activity.

The cenote looked pretty neat but I chose not to partake. Make sure to take advantage of the bug spray they provide!! Got eaten alive.

They are doing good work there for the sake of the animals, which is most important!

1 Thank seattleguy15
London, United Kingdom
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“A Great Example of Sustainable Tourism - and Brilliant Fun”
Reviewed May 25, 2013

We came upon the Sanctuary by word of mouth. The 0900 tour is perfect for a family. The Project is fantastic - to rescue and rehabilitate monkeys and other animals in the future. The tour demonstrates how this is being done whilst allowing interaction with the monkeys. The walk through the jungle is beautiful and the cool cenote very welcome at the end. Richard and Jon have a huge enthusiasm for what they are doing. Our 8 year old daughter has just said that "it was one of the best days of her life" - praise indeed!