“Stay at Sheck!!”
Review of Hostel Sheck

Hostel Sheck
Ranked #9 of 141 Specialty Lodging in Tulum
Reviewed July 7, 2014

Sheck is the classiest hostel to ever have the pleasure of having me grace it with my presence!

It's the newest backpacker abode in Tulum, and will forever be so because the owner demolishes it at the end of each year just so it can be rebuilt brand-new for us hardened travelers. An exquisite hostel complex, a comfortable collection of delightful dorm rooms wrapped up in a lush, hammock-packed jungle courtyard. The bathrooms and showers are immaculate - every morning a team of donkeys tirelessly transports fresh water from a super secret crystal spring hidden deep in the nearby jungle - to make sure there is enough water for each backpacker to have 7 1/2 showers daily. A fully-stocked bar equipped with the best spirits Mexico has to offer, once a month the owner personally travels to every tequila distillery to handpick the finest bottles of booze, thus ensuring each guest gets properly smashed.

The staff and volunteers are borderline legendary, a team of sherpas is constantly on standby to transport your 212 Liter backpack directly to your bed, just in case you are faintly fatigued. The world renowned chef slaughters a family of pigs every morning so each guest can eat their own weight in bacon for breakfast.

The location is perfect, a 66 second walk to the main street and all the best that Tulum has to offer. Directly across the street lies Tulum's unofficial juice mecca, but be warned...all other juices will forever fare in comparison (If you are wondering if its possible to sleep there instead, it isn't).

Hostel Sheck is great, but what really separates it from the competition... the owner Mike! He is the epitome of generosity and caring. On the second day of my stay I accidentally misplaced my locker keys, Mike not only gave me a set of boltcutters - TO KEEP - but also gave me a free 3 day locksmithing apprenticeship, now I can make my own keys. As if that wasn't enough, on my last day at Sheck a hostel-wide pillow-fight caused me to miss my flight to Equatorial Guinea, I was super bummed until... Mike BOUGHT ME AN AIRPLANE! Who does that?! He's the best!

Overall, Hostel Sheck is the bee's knees, the cat's pajamas, the goat's gonads, the tortoise's tuxedo!! If you find yourself in lovely Tulum, stay at Hostel Sheck! You won't regret it!

Thanks for everything Mikes!!

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled solo
1  Thank Ryan D

Reviewed July 5, 2014

The place is managed by Mike and Gabi who are really nice and helpful.
The place is located in the center of Tulum city which is great.
The place is super clean tidy has hot water and WiFi , it has also a small bar inside which make great atmosphere in the evenings.
Would definitely come back and recommend to others.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank Stasyagu
Reviewed June 18, 2014

I stayed in hostel shek for the final part of my trip. It was the perfect end. Situated at the top of the main strip, close to the cycle hire centre. It has the perfect location, just a short trip to most of the areas main attractions ie the cenotes and Mayan ruins. The staff are great and made me fell very welcome. I stayed in the biggest dorm, and it was quiet and well maintained. Comfy beds and a good hot shower. Breakfast provide. Couldn't ask for more from a hostel. Thanks guys

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with friends
Reviewed June 4, 2014 via mobile

After I checked in for the first time I couldn't leave, and even when I left I came back.
Tge hostel is beautiful and clean. Not more then 10 mun after you'll get there yiu'll have all the information about the city and more.
Gaby and mike are nice and always will be happy to help or just have a good conversation.
The kitchen is big and have everything and the showers are the best I had im mexico.
The bar is the cheapest bar in town with the best margaritas in the Caribbean side.
It's one of the best hostels I stayed in in central America!

Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed May 18, 2014

As soon as I checked in, I was given more than all the information I needed to have a successful stay in Tulum. Staff was extremely helpful and welcoming! The showers are hot and have strong water pressure which was refreshing compared to my other stays in Mexico. Good downtown location and so easy to get anywhere by bicycle and had a nice bar and good food.. Can't beat it! Loved it and want to go back!

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled solo
Reviewed April 17, 2014 via mobile

This is a great little hostel just off the main strip. Rent bikes or snorkel gear (which actually didn't work that we'll) to snorkel with turtles at Akumal. The owner is really nice and will to help with anything. The bar area is cheap and convenient, can get pretty crazy at night.
The best part of this hostel though is the hot showers, definitely not in a private area if you're in the smaller dorms, but hot nonetheless.

Stayed: April 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank teresawilterink
Reviewed April 11, 2014 via mobile

The people are amazing, the atmosphere is relaxed, the beer is cheap, the espanadas are delicious, I felt at home and made stayed extra nights because I loved it here so much! The big dorm room is clean and private, the facilities are good, the resident dog is super fun and friendly, all round I loved this place

Stayed: April 2014, traveled with friends