“Just ok”
Review of Hostel Sheck

Hostel Sheck
Ranked #9 of 141 Specialty Lodging in Tulum
Reviewed February 7, 2014 via mobile

I was there in October and the owner's girlfriend was pretty rude to me, after we solve the issue who was paying for a bed I don't even use so they could re-sale it she start to be "nice" I just don't buy it. Otherwise about that time it was a guy Jorge working there he was pretty awesome and create a great atmosphere. This second time was ok I had an amazing time because the big group of friends, we stay one night and then we move to a camping place in front to the beach. Good things: wi-fi, hot shower. But if you check out at 11 (check out time) you can't use the showers anymore so you have to pay extra for that.

Stayed: February 2014, traveled with friends

Reviewed January 31, 2014

My husband and I stayed at Hostel Sheck in a four bed dorm. We were originally booked into another hostel in Tulum, however after arriving at the hostel we had to get out of there ASAP as it was not what we had expected or had paid for. We walked to Hostel Sheck late that evening and they did not have beds available for the two of us that night but said we could come back in the morning and hang out there until check in. The owners were very friendly and very helpful. The hostel had an awesome atmosphere, the rooms were clean, the showers were hot and clean, and they could not do enough for us to make our stay comfortable. Would definitely stay again.

Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 31, 2014

This is the best place to stay in Tulum! The hostels is brand new, very clean, comfi beds and a nice communial area. Very social place easy to meet other travelers, made some good friends here! Mike and Gaby work very hard for the hostel and to make their guest feel comfortable. Both of them are very knowledge able, also set me up with a great diving instructor. Hostel is walking distance from the bus station and all the bars and restaurants. Hostel itself has a bar as well to socialise and exchange travel information with fellow travelers. Hot showers and big kitchen with much storage room for your own food. Currently still staying here almost over a week!

Room Tip: For best sleeping quality take the small dorm! Big dorm nice and clean too just more people :)
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled solo
Reviewed January 21, 2014

Mike and Gby the owners are great people,
they are very hospitable giving guests information on Tulum and the surrounding area.
I called Hostel Sheck home for over 3 weeks and had an amazing time. Spending a lot of time at the bar which has great backpacker prices which are hard to find nowadays in hostels. The environment of Hostel Sheck is a real traveller friendly place with great music played, great kitchen, chillout areas with hammocks and gardens to create a cool environment to organise your activities.

Tulum itself is a way more chilled out town with local people, restaurants and coffee shops, better beaches and cenotes. Much more chilled out than the gringo towns of Playa del Carmen and Cancun which have exorbitant prices and I don’t see the point in going to Mexico for an American experience!

Visit Tulum and stay at Hostel Sheck, I wish Mike and Gby all the best with their hostel and know you’ll enjoy your stay there with great people in a hostel in a great location.

Make sure you try the Fresh Juices across the road, and the best empanadas in Mexico from Sebastián and Mariano.

I wish Mike and Gby all the best for the future.

Kiwi Dan,
travelled over 50 countries
so I should know a good hostel!!! :)

Stayed: January 2014, traveled solo
Reviewed January 20, 2014

Bloody love this place.
Superb service.
Tequila is delicious.
Showers are warm and outdoorsy.
Gabi isthe love of my life. And Mike is a complete babe.
They go above and beyond for your happiness.
Couldn't be happier with my stay and the wonderful family vibe they provide.
Came for 2 days, stayed for a week.
HOSTEL SHEK, WE LOVE YOU.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with friends
Reviewed January 18, 2014

Sheck has a nice vibe and the management and owners are what make this hostel wonderful.
Rooms are fair priced during peak season and the upstairs dorm is airy.
The hostel bar is lovely and brings everyone together. Location wise the hostel is within easy reach of the ruins, town and beaches of Tulum.

Room Tip: If staying in dorms take the upstairs dorm it may be larger but the ventilation is great. Bring a b...
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 11, 2014

I stayed at this hostel 3 separate times in a span of 2 months. The owners literally bent over backwards for me and other guests. The hostel always had hot water, clean bathrooms and clean common areas. (Very clean in general)The hostel has a bar with very reasonable prices. They also have an Argentinian staff member who makes delicious empanadas for sale at a great price. I would highly recommend it to anyone who wants a safe and inviting stay! I have read the reviews that were bad and I find it hard to believe any of it. In my opinion if you can't get along with these people it's YOU not them!
I was rather ill at the end of my stay and they even gave me some tea and were genuinely concerned and helpful in every way possible!
Thank you Mike and Gby!
When next in Tulum I'll be more than happy to stay and see you again!
Krista York