“Best Meal I Had in Mexico”
Review of Restaurare

Restaurare
Ranked #17 of 396 Restaurants in Tulum
Cuisines: Mexican, Healthy, Fusion
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: Author vegan cuisine, supporting local products and farmers, inspired in permaculture and pursuing sustainable development all served with love in tulum's jungle, few steps from the beach.
Chicago
“Best Meal I Had in Mexico”
Reviewed April 2, 2014

Even if you aren't vegan, this restaurant has to be on your stop to Tulum. If your travel partner rebels, claiming meat must happen, then at least come for drinks or dessert.

Upon the recommendation of friends, I went to Restaurare, and was pretty excited for some vegetables since they aren't so accessible in Mexican cuisine. I was blown away by the awesomeness of this restaurant.

When I walked in, I was struck by the design. It's charming and romantic with subdued lighting and wooden tables. Unlike other places along this beach-side road, they don't blast the music but keep it at a conversational level.

I had coconut ceviche of fresh coconut meat and fresh zucchini in a coconut milk, ginger, lime dressing. Oh heavens. And sweet potato chips on the side. I had been staying at a "spiritual" lodge of sorts, and this was by far the most religious experience I had on the trip. For the quality and ambience, the prices are ridiculously reasonable for the area.

They have incredible fresh juices, and I added mexcal to mine (tangerine, orange, papaya and mint). Definitely more amazing than any other cocktail I had in town, and I sure had a few!

Last, but most certainly not least, the service was impeccable. Sam's grand smile welcomed me for my lone meal out (my friend had headed home) and she was friendly, fully knowledgeable of the menu, and obviously is all-around on top of things.

Oh, and you must have the chocolate cupcake. You must.

• Visited March 2014
1 Thank Chicago D

West Greenwich, Rhode Island
“Great for adventurous eaters!”
Reviewed April 2, 2014

We were on our 6th dinner in Mexico, and really wanted something other than Mexican food. I am a vegetarian, but no one else in our group was. The drink menu is interesting, there is a white wine, a red, 1 local beer choice, and then you can get fresh squeezed juice and add Mezcal. Delicious! The food was fabulous, we had a coconut ceviche app that was out of this world. Fresh pieces of coconut marinated in herbs served in a coconut shell. The entrees were equally good, the herbs/spices/sauces used were to die for and the presentation was perfect. Our carnivore friends were extremely happy, and seemed not to care that we were even at a vegan spot. Excellent service, Sam was the sweetest girl ever and made our night...would highly recommend a visit here.

• Visited March 2014
1 Thank LaurenB99
Boulder, Colorado
“Amazing! Practically lived there”
Reviewed March 29, 2014 via mobile

No matter if you are vegan of not, this restaurant has excellent food and juices and you will be so thankful that you found it. We literally ate there at least once a day during our recent rip to Tulum and were hesitant going anywhere else. Granted we are vegans, but this place is definitely worth trying even if you aren't.

Roberto and the rest of the staff are super friendly and welcoming, as is the entire atmosphere. All the juices are unbelievably tasty.

Visited March 2014
Tulum, Mexico
“Incredible Food”
Reviewed March 28, 2014 via mobile

I was staying across the way and was delighted to know there was a Vegan restaurant directly across the street. The food here is incredible. Everything I tried seemed better than the last. As a vegan it was a god send. The desserts were truly my favorite. They even made me a chocolate shake one night that isn't even on the menu. The servers are incredibly sweet and kind. All the food is made from scratch so just be prepared that it is not a quick stop. They have natural insect repellent upon request but as with anywhere in Tulum I would definitely be prepared for the ferocity of Mosquitos that will attack at night. The prices are not cheap but no more than any of the tourist places along the Boca Paila. For the really affordable places you gotta head into town. Also they close by 9:00 and I wouldn't get there much later than 8:15-8:30 to be safe.

2 Thank Joshansley
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Best place for vegans.”
Reviewed March 26, 2014

The waitress is one of those loveliest people on the planet type of person. The food is amazing. The vegans and non vegans among us ate there four times on a one week trip. Everything on the menu is wonderful and healthy.

• Visited February 2014