“Most fantastic and peaceful hostel in tulum, Mexico.”

La Cigana - Posada Marco Polo
Ranked #76 of 90 Tulum B&B and Inns
Reviewed March 18, 2014 via mobile

Inside of this secret fortress is a for real jungle with huge plants and a natural feel to it, with stone buildings and huge plants. Just like the rest of Mexico, there are bugs and birds and I think that is fantastic. The birds, about fifteen different kinds, start singing when the sun starts coming up. It's such a beautiful symphony. The food is delicious and simple and they will freshly squeeze you some orange juice in the morning if you ask nice. I fixed the shower head and they are working on fixing the one smelly room. Should be fixed soon. And BTW, Kittens only make the noise of angels singing and only a weirdo wouldn't like them meowing near their bed.

Stayed: March 2014, traveled with friends

Reviewed February 21, 2014 via mobile

La Cigana was a nice hostel
Overall. The 6 people
Dorm is very small and has no
Space by the beds are very comfy. Shower has hot water which is always good. In the washrooms it's kinda smelly although they clean it. You have there spider webs and stuff like that, but as a backpacker you shouldn't be too spoiled. Breakfast is nice and I truly recommend getting coffee from their restaurant - good and cheap for guests.
The

Stayed: February 2014
Reviewed January 30, 2014 via mobile

Three of us stayed in the 6 bed dorm for 3 nights. It's a bit of a tight squeeze once backpacks are brought into the room aswell but just about manageable. The place was a bit grubby but did the job. Staff are friendly and helpful. Would stay here again.

Stayed: January 2014, traveled with friends
Reviewed January 12, 2014 via mobile

While we were here (2 nights), we found in the room: one gecko, 2 giant cockroach, around 10-15 humidity bugs and a Tailless Whip Scorpions, it is not dangerous but it is big and gross, you don't want it in your bathroom i promise. It says there is hot water 24/24h, it wasn't true in my room, there was hot water sometimes when we were lucky! When we arrived our beds were hidden under clothes of other travellers, the blankets were not changed, we had to do it ourselves... There is definitely better places to go in tulum for the same price or less!

Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank van-s-ah
Reviewed December 16, 2013

This hostel offers a community atmosphere with cookouts, a nice veranda to meet other people and chat, and is in a very picturesque location - essentially in a small walled-off jungle in a busy area of Tulum. The staff were very friendly and helpful. But beware the humidity! We stayed at the end of the rainy season (which lasted longer than usual this year) and our room was literally growing mold in the cupboards, and eventually in folded clothes, even with the ceiling fan working 24/7. Likely the effect of being sheltered by all the trees, because other places we stayed were not this humid. With this in mind, the value for the money was a bit high.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank 3-0PDS
Reviewed December 9, 2013

This is kind of a place you think about when you hear the word "hostel"
First of all, but this matters: the new crew is very nice and helpful !!
Tulum itself is pretty fine : we didn't want to stay 1 night and at the end, we've spent 4 days in there !
You'll find la Cigana next to where the Taxis stand, which is also the area counting the bus stop, the bank, shops and pubs. Not on the noisy "strip" but in a quiet crossing street. Right on the street lays the terrace of the hostel where you can meet other packtravellers.
Friends of the crew sometimes show up to play music and cook, so you can enjoy concerts with locals just in the place. If you prefer to relax, reading a book, there is a quiet garden with some seats behind in the inner court.
Just enjoy!

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Virgile_K
Reviewed November 16, 2013

I found this hostel by chance after a late arrival to Tulum, and first booked it for one night as I'd planned to move to the beach area the following day. I picked La Cigana because it's central, cheap, includes breakfast, wifi and a bike rental. I shared a big dorm with 4 people which to me isn't any hassle, but they have private rooms too. Its a beautiful, yet simple place, and that's what you pay for! It's chilled, clean and holds a staff with many friends in the area that come popping by during the day for a chat and a coffee. Love that local feel! Also, they treat their dogs very well, which I love seeing in a country where that's not always the norm.

The daytime receptionist (I forgot his name, sorry!) is the most wonderful man Ive met in Mexico. He shared from his life and seemed genuinely interested in his guests, gave me several coffees while I sat working after breakfast and lots of advices on where to go with a bike. When out discovering Tulum later I soon found out the street the hostel is located on is super cool. It holds four really good restaurants and a good local/foreign vibe.

I decided to likely stay in La Cigana as opposed to find something on the beach, as I enjoyed myself in La Cigana and it's easy to move around in Tulum by bike. One staff member invited me on an excursion w/ friends one day and one night when I didn't come home to sleep (crazy mezcal party at the beach) the manager said he wouldn't charge me for the night!

Unfortunately my stay in Tulum got shorter than planned due to a tragic incident of my grandmother falling ill in my home country. The last two days before I left the main receptionist constantly asked me if he could help and showed a much needed compassion in a difficult time for a solo traveler being far away from home. My stay ended in having to change a flight ticket and get as soon as quickly to Cancun, to which situation the same man got me a private driver and comforted me until he came.
I'll never forget him, nor this place, and would definitely go back!

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled solo