“Rarely met such an involved and professional kitesurfing teacher !”

Mexican Caribbean Kitesurf & Paddlesurf
Private Kiteboarding Lesson in Tulum
Ranked #3 of 101 Tours in Tulum
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: KITE & SUP School • Paddleboarding TOURS to cenotes, lagoons and bays • All in beautiful Tulum Mexico "A day in the water is a good day"
Reviewed December 30, 2013

I had the chance to take two lessons in the wavy kite surf spot in Tulum with Maurizio. I was almost upwind on flat water but with the strong waves, Maurizio's advices and implication were just great. He spent a lot of time helping in the water and followed each of my move.
On top of that, the organizer, Rocio, was such a lovely person.
The material is well maintained and safe.
I would definitely recommend this school, whatever if you are a beginner or a advanced.
Di.

MauricioRo, Owner at Mexican Caribbean Kitesurf & Paddlesurf, responded to this reviewResponded January 9, 2014

Thank you very much for this great review. We really love what we do and we put our heart on it, I am super happy you value this. If you ever come back to Tulum, please send me an email so we can go to have a beer, some tacos or some Kitesurf of course.

Reviewed December 27, 2013

I just returned from a relaxing beach holiday in Tulum. Fantastic place and with the possibility to kitesurf! Since the waves were quite strong I went kitesurfing in Isla Blanca with Mauricio, Adrian and Agatha. A perfect spot for beginners-plus to get some more experience. Mauricio, Adrian and Agatha were super nice and are so enthusiastic about kitesurfing. I really enjoined talking to them. It was a fantastic trip although we had rain almost all day. But once you are kitesurfing and able to go upwind it doesn't matter that there is no sun :-)
Adrian did a great job in teaching me how to improve my kitesurfing abilities. He was very patient and super positive all the time. I felt quite sorry for him to stay in the water for 3 hours because it was very very cold for him. But he didn't mind or complain at all and encouraged me to keep practicing . With good results, luckily!

I can highly recommend this kitesurf school. Mauricio and his crew are very qualified, are super nice, like to teach with an endless positive attitude, easy-going, passionate and wonderful kite surfers themselves!
Next time I will take kitesurfing and SUPing lessons! See you soon Mauricio, Adrian and Agatha and thank you again for the great experience in Isla Blanca!!

MauricioRo, Owner at Mexican Caribbean Kitesurf & Paddlesurf, responded to this reviewResponded January 22, 2014

Thank you so much for this great review. We enjoy a lot taking you to Isla Blanca and teaching you kitesurfing. I was very happy with the way you were kitesurfing upwind by the end of the day in Isla Blanca. If you ever come back, please send us an email so we can do some more kitesurf.
Have a great day and see you someday hopefully.

Reviewed December 14, 2013

I traveled to Tulum to recharge some batteries with yoga, beach and lots of sleep. Kite Surfing wasn't really in my plans but after a couple of days of watching a few people have fun with the kites on the beach and meeting the incredibly passionate Mauricio, I decided to give it a try and now I have to say that it was the highlight of my trip.

First, I have to say that Mauricio and his team of instructors work hard for their money.. it must come easy to them given that they love it, but still, most of the days I was in Tulum the sea was a bit rock and roll with lots of powerful waves, yet you would see Mauricio, Agita or Adrien fighting the waves to stay close to their students in the water and help them every step of the way over and over again, client after client, under the hot, hot sun and the rough breeze... intense, passionate work it is! I also had the chance to see the three instructors doing kite surfing at the end of the day and they all looked like professional acrobat kite surfers with lots of control and style.

I loved my instructor Adrien because he was personable, patient and passionate- he gave me the class in French. If you are an easy going traveler who enjoys meeting good people while you learn something new, you will love learning kite surf with them... it doesn't feel like a class.. it feels as if you were hanging out with friends. On my last night they were super kind an generous and took me into town to eat at a local restaurant -- I left not only with fun Kite Surfing memories but with the intention to go back and hang out more with them!

Mauricio and his partner Rocio are a well traveled couple that have set up a great service with good equipment and the right infrastructure to make of them the most reliable school in the area.. you can see that they are serious about what they do and that they are much more than beach lovers practicing a hobby... they care about making sure that their clients get the best kite and travel experience in and out of the water. They offer courses in Spanish, French, English and Polish and they can take credit cards which is a great plus when you haven't budgeted for it in your cash money.

I know that they offer other excursions and services that I didn't get to try- but I am sure they offer them with the same passion and professionalism that they demonstrated with Kite Surfing.

Looking forward to going back!

Thank you so much so much for this great review. We enjoy a lot teaching you and taking you out in town. You are a super positive person and was nice to see an smile on your face the all time.
If you ever come back please send us an email so we can go out for some more kitesurf or some tacos.
Have a great day and best regards.

Reviewed December 1, 2013

I have been wanting to learn to kite surf for many years, and being from northern Canada have limited options to do this. During our vacation, we are able to get one day out with Mauricio and his fellow instructors, Agatha and Andre.

The best part of this experience was the energy and enthusiasm that Mauricio and his instructors bring. They are all passionate about kite surfing which makes them great instructors. They are wiling to push you as far as you let them to take you, and want you to learn. With a good attitude, and willingness to learn, you will learn the safety and control of your kite in the first couple of hours, then struggle of getting out of the water on your board begins. Just like any sport, you need to push yourself to get the hang of it, but you will not experience a feeling that kitesurfing gives you when you finally get it.

Mauricio is passionate for his business and will stick by your side until you can go no longer. He is there for you, and no one else.

My only regret, was not being able to get our for more. A good day of learning means you will be tired and sore by the end of the day. It is 3 days after, I am still a little sore, but smile every time I feel the stiffness in my body.

Thanks again for everything Mauricio, can't want to do it again.

Thank you so much for this fantastic review. I enjoy a lot teaching you. You had the best attitude and all the skills. You were super positive and this is the best I can get as an instructor.
Besides I am sure that you will keep kiting because you really loved it.
If you ever come back, please send me an email so we can go to do some kitesurf or just to have some tacos and beer.
Thank you very much again and have a great day.

Reviewed November 20, 2013

My girlfriend and I had the pleasure of experiencing the SUP cenote tour with Mauricio last week, and it was without a doubt the highlight of my week in Tulum.

After exchanging friendly emails beforehand to confirm availability, Mauricio arrived at our building at 8 AM on the agreed day (having only received directions from me one day prior). My gf was running a few minutes late, but he seemed happy to wait while I ran back inside to fetch her. And then we set off, enjoying pleasant conversation on the drive to the cenote. (Spanish is his first language, but his English is good. I speak Spanish but my gf doesn't, so we mostly spoke English.) We soon arrived at a small parking lot adjacent to a beautiful outdoor cenote: crystal clear water, mangroves everywhere, and a shack where we could store our personal belongings while SUPing. (Protip: don't wear sunblock. The chemicals aren't good for the ecosystem, and there's enough shade from the trees that you shouldn't burn.) He suggested we wander over to the nearby beach, which was breathtaking, while he got the boards and diving masks ready to go.

Neither my gf nor I had ever SUPed before, but before we knew it, Mauricio had shown us how to kneel on the boards, handed us paddles, and pushed us off. He joined us on his own board a few seconds later, and we started paddling along, working our way deeper into the cenote against a gentle (though at some points noticeably stronger) current. After some fun navigating, we reached a dead end of mangroves, slid into the cool water, and relaxed for a few minutes while he gave us a brief, interesting history of the cenotes in the area. Then he pointed to a clump of mangroves and told us, "Next, we're going in there!"

I won't ruin the surprise of how it works, but we did indeed make our way into the mangroves, with Mauricio leading the way, and it was incredibly cool. He stressed many times that this was an optional aspect of the tour, and nobody felt pressured to try anything undesired, but it's highly recommended. We then swam back to our boards, paddled over to another section of the cenote (which we shared with only one double kayak for most of the morning), and repeated the mangrove exploration experience. Again, just awesome.

At this point, we returned to a fairly open area near the entrance and did some diving to check out the larger (friendly) fish that live under the mangroves. (By this point, we were both comfortably standing up on our boards.) Mauricio showed us some more advanced SUP moves before suggesting that my gf and I explore the area on our own, taking as much time as we wanted. So we did, racing and trying yoga poses (splash) and diving to look for fish and just loving life. After about 80 minutes of free play, we paddled back to the entrance, where Mauricio was patiently waiting for us and chatting with some incoming scuba divers.

We loaded up the car and drove back into Tulum, where we stopped at one of his favorite taco stands. This was our third full day in Tulum, and watching him order food and beverages (fruit water / agua de fruta / agua natural => win) was actually very instructive. (We ordered fruit water at most restaurants we visited for the rest of the trip.) The food and drink hit the spot, and after a brief tour of town as he took us back, the adventure was over.

Paddleboarding with his gear via his vehicle at his preferred spot was, in my opinion, worth the price we paid alone. Throw in lunch and you've got yourself a bargain. Add the ~120 pictures he took with his GoPro camera at various points in the day (and then emailed us a few days later), and you're looking at a steal. And with the invitation to visit him at his kiteboarding school and paddle around on his boards in the ocean, free of charge, at any point during the remainder of our stay, you've got easily the coolest thing we did in Tulum.

Mauricio was a phenomenal host/teacher (my gf and I were talking about how great he was for the rest of our trip), and my experience with his cenote SUP was second to none. You'd be crazy to miss this if you're in the area.

MauricioRo, Propietario at Mexican Caribbean Kitesurf & Paddlesurf, responded to this reviewResponded November 25, 2013

Thank you so much for this great oppinion. Your description of our trip is the most complete I ever received, thank you so much for taking the time to write it. I enjoy a lot taking you to this paddlesurf trip. You are super interesting people. The kind of people I would love to share a dinner table with. You are super positive and super nice.
I wish you all the best and if you ever come back to Tulum, please send me an email because I would love to have a beer with you and some science talk :-)
Thank you very much for everything and best regards.