“Owner a dissapointment”

Amansala Eco-Chic Resort + Retreat
Ranked #52 of 98 Hotels in Tulum
Reviewed January 16, 2007

Well I have to say this place has the potential to be a gem except for one little problem, the owner Melissa. Lets start with the great things. The food is absolutely wonderful, the cabanas are fantastic, (go for 9,10,11, or 12 because they are right on the beach), the yoga teacher Scarlett is intense but very good, the beach is glorious and the staff is very friendly. There is always something to do and oh... the massages are to die for especially from Mike! Now for the down side. This place is selling charm, relaxation, centeredness with yourself and inner harmony and..well...the owner still is working on some of these qualities. This wouldnt be a problem, except she is supposed to be the center of the week and the leader. When I arrived she started talking to me and then answered her cell phone and walked away. It wasnt a great start. Some of us felt as thouugh we were being nickled and dimed. When we asked about going to a Mayan sweat lodge, we were told it would be 75.00 per person and there had to be 15 of us. That sounded fishy, so we went there ourselves and found out it was 45.00 dollars per person and there was no minimum. Little stuff like that was very annoying. It promises tranquility and feels big business. I appreciate her motivation and ability to create, however she isnt very present for what she creates. This might just be a taste thing in personality, but is you are going to Amansala to get away from the big city, you might feel as though you never left it.
Oh and by the way, they charge 120.00 per person to get there each way for them arranging the cabs for you. You can rent a car for 100 bucks a week at carrentals.com.

Stayed: January 2007
17  Thank parker111
There are newer reviews for Amansala Eco-Chic Resort + Retreat

Reviewed November 18, 2006

amansala was a true vacation. i spend so much time with people in my day to day life, and i was a bit nervous to travel alone, but, as soon as i arrived at amansala i felt so comfortable, totally at ease, and was able to "just be". the classes were not both challenging and fun. the non competitive enviornment was great to around. the food was totally delicious and satisfying...living in a little hut with nothing to distract me was just what i needed. i already cannot wait to go back, and if people are looking to truly get away from their typical daily routines and to just relax this is the place...

• Stayed: October 2006, traveled solo
3  Thank mg8
Reviewed November 14, 2006

If you are up for a true adventure and want to meet great people Amansala is a terrific getaway. It is truly the first and only vacation where I came back feeling refreshed and rejuvenated. Everyone is wonderfully helpful and encouraging. You are able to do all the classes or none. The setting couldn't be any more perfect. I stayed at the original location and not at the hotel. I am planning on returning with friends and family every year and I always want to stay in the huts along the beach. Not the vacation for High-maintenance, 4 star people, but if shabby chic is good for you, this place is wonderful.

My only suggestion would be to book a room on the upstairs level since the sand does find its way into the huts.

• Stayed: March 2006, traveled as a couple
3  Thank katya_27
Reviewed October 10, 2006

I've just returned from a four night stay at Bikini Bootcamp at Amsala in Tulum, Mexico and am counting down the days until I can return.

Amsala is nestled along the pristine, untouched Tulum beaches, a cluster of chic, eco-friendly huts, complete with balconies, hammocks, and the most comfortable beds. "Bootcamp" includes a full day of activity for both the body and soul. Every morning starts with a brisk walk along the beach, followed by a delicious, heathy breakfast of fruits and yogurt and eggs. Morning activities include yoga (the camp flies in incredible instructors from NYC) cardio and sculpting classes, taught my the co-owner, the fabulous Erica Gragg. There is ample time to sit in the sun and relax and then enjoy an afternoon of kayaking, biking and swimming. Every day was a little different, with the perfect blend of exercise and down time. I saw a diffference in my body in just three days!

Two incredible massages are also included in their "package" which is a steal as it is. It was my idea of a perfect, healthy vacation from the real world. I hope to make it a yearly retreat!

• Stayed: September 2006, traveled with friends
5  Thank eweed
Reviewed August 15, 2006

While the name was intimidating, I found Bikini Boot Camp to be just what I needed. We did about 4 hours of excercise a day which was perfect as anymore and I would have been too stiff to hang in there for the whole session. We started most days with a power walk on one of the best beaches I have ever visited, then depending on the day we had a challenging yoga class or a circuit training session or some other class. We did 2 mini trips by bike which were good cardio, some dance classes, pilate like classes, stretching and sculpting as well. Apart from the excercise, there was time to just relax on the beach, work on the tan, read, sleep, swim.

The place feels like a luxury camp for adults. I use the word luxury loosely as it is not fancy but for the area they really pay attention to the details and try to make your stay as comfortable as possible. Each room has been well thought out with space to get organized for your stay, comfy beds, nice colors, sheets, ect. I shared my room with a stranger which had me nervous but turned out to be great. I liked having the company and the room was large enough to not feel cramped.

The general mood of the campers was very positive with the exception of a couple who should have read the website more carefully. You can not use hair dryers there as the hotels is run on solar energy and as we all learned hair dryers blow fuses and give everyone a black out , which was quickly fixed I must add by the great staff. Most of the women could have afforded to be at a 5 star hotel but were very happy to be in simple but very comfortable accommodations on the stunning beach. It really is off the beaten track and was a very inspirational trip for all of us.

The food was so delicous that I did not miss having no bread for a whole week! Lots of salads, fresh fish, fruit. Meals were communal and it was nice that way.

Apart from the lovely beach, the motivating excercise classes and the friendly staff, I met some amazing women who I will definitely stay in touch with. It seems to attract interesting clients, many of them traveling on their own like me and the atmosphere makes it easy to meet everyone and bond in a short time.

I found Bikini Boot Camp to be just what I needed and will definitely recommend it to my friends and am going to return next year!

• Stayed: July 2006, traveled solo
9  Thank aharlan
Reviewed August 8, 2006

Trying to kick off an exercise routine and totally relax for a week after leaving a stressful job, I signed up for Bikini Bootcamp very last minute. I was pleasantly surprised...the food was delicious, the beach absolutely incredible (I have been all over the Carribbean, Asia, Central America and this is by far the most beautiful), the staff (instructors, cooks, etc) incredibly friendly. It was just enough exercise...a 1 hour walk on the beach in the morning (which at first I was dreading, then started to love), 1 hour of strength training, 1 hour of yoga and something else (2 hour bike ride or tribal dancing). My only problem with the exercise was yoga (which I never like) and the instructor Scarlett who was a bit scary. She definitely knows her stuff but is a bit intimidating to the beginner. Beauty of Amansala...you are not overly pressured to do anything. If you need to skip yoga, you definitely can do it. The other instructors were great, very helpful...and very motivating. I can't say enough about the location and we had plenty of time off to lay in the sun. I was alone and most of the people there were also solo so it was very easy to find friends to hang out with. I would definitely recommend this to everyone...guys and girls. Only caveat...if you are SUPER HARD CORE and looking for a TRUE bootcamp, you may be a tad disappointed. You exercise tons, probably lose 3-4lbs but it is not over the top hard.

• Stayed: July 2006, traveled solo
6  Thank Apple123
Reviewed August 8, 2006

Just returned from Amansala. It did offer everything that was promised and advertised. It was truley a unique experience.
This area of Mexico is nothing short a tropical paradise. The beaches were near empty (could be the season) and water was blue and clear. THey have sea kiyaks and boogie boards for guests to use. The excursions were fun biking too. Shopping trip should be a little longer than 45 min. for a van full of woman!There were a variety of fitness classes offered thougout the week and most were fun.THey rotate instructors througout the season and we were lucky to have an outstanding, challenging yoga teacher, Scarlet. I liked her because she did not baby us, but rather worked with us at the level we were at. Naturally there were various fitness levels within our group. For some of us that were at the high level of fitness, we could have been challenged more by the trainer , Dan. Dan is a really nice person and will grow into becoming a good trainer but he's not there yet. He needs to pay attention to correct form and be a little more motivating and creative. Again he is young and just dosen't have enough experience under his belt. The belly dance instructor was excellent and was very motivating, she even gave us handouts to take with.
One annoying occurance was the changing of the class schedule througout the day. There is a small white board that listed the daily classes and times. Sometimes they would change without notice. A painting workshop was cancelled one day and then another day the tribal dance instructor did not show up and we were all dissapointed. It was substituted with a beach walk which just didn't cut it. I felt we should have been given a better option. Even a free drink would have been fair! One time yoga was listed for after lunch sometime and during lunch the yoga teacher told the receptionist to cancel yoga and change it to Volleyball because we should have fun..... I think she was just too tired to teach another class! So again some were looking forward to yoga and didn't feel volleyball should have been substituted last minute.
THis is not a trip for any "prima donna" or one that expects imediate service as Americans are used to. Even though the rooms are beatifully rustic, it is like cabin camping. Our room leaked when it rained, electricity and water went off once in a while. BUt we didn't make a big drama over it because we know we're practically in the middle of a jungle!
THe kitchen staff is amazing always friendly and willing to please. The food is %100 fresh and healthy. I was happy to eat predominantly vegies, fish and fruits. This was my kind of food, so if you're looking for a super meaty high carb menu forget it! I was glad and expected this kind of food. The massages were really wonderful, Don't forget to tip them! In fact I wished we were warned that we had to tip the entire staff before leaving. We heard the owner suggested 10-15 dollars for each! Well there are 5-6 kitchen staff and 4-5 house cleaners then the instructors etc.. this should be mentioned on the web site.This got a little wierd because there were multiple income levels within the group and some didn't want to be judged on the amount they gave. A better system needs to be in place for this.
Melissa the owner is a true entrepunuer. Her social skills are combined with business all the time. She could be laughing and smoozin one minute and then repremanding one of the workers the next. She is a business woman at heart and is expanding as you read this! I read an article that said that Amansala attracts supermodels and these types..... I'am soooooooo glad there were no such types. I then thought that maybe Melissa wants to attract business from that audience which would ruin this experience for the normal person that likes to combine healthy eating and fitness into a vacation. Melissa dosen't provide any comment cards because I don't think she wants to hear it!
She is just that type.
I had a great time and made some new friends that I plan to keep in touch with. This can be a good experience if you are open , flexible and friendly!

• Stayed: August 2006, traveled with friends