“Gorgeous location, great experience...”

Amansala Eco-Chic Resort + Retreat
Ranked #47 of 95 Hotels in Tulum
San Pedro, Belize
“Gorgeous location, great experience...”
Reviewed August 8, 2006

Trying to kick off an exercise routine and totally relax for a week after leaving a stressful job, I signed up for Bikini Bootcamp very last minute. I was pleasantly surprised...the food was delicious, the beach absolutely incredible (I have been all over the Carribbean, Asia, Central America and this is by far the most beautiful), the staff (instructors, cooks, etc) incredibly friendly. It was just enough exercise...a 1 hour walk on the beach in the morning (which at first I was dreading, then started to love), 1 hour of strength training, 1 hour of yoga and something else (2 hour bike ride or tribal dancing). My only problem with the exercise was yoga (which I never like) and the instructor Scarlett who was a bit scary. She definitely knows her stuff but is a bit intimidating to the beginner. Beauty of Amansala...you are not overly pressured to do anything. If you need to skip yoga, you definitely can do it. The other instructors were great, very helpful...and very motivating. I can't say enough about the location and we had plenty of time off to lay in the sun. I was alone and most of the people there were also solo so it was very easy to find friends to hang out with. I would definitely recommend this to everyone...guys and girls. Only caveat...if you are SUPER HARD CORE and looking for a TRUE bootcamp, you may be a tad disappointed. You exercise tons, probably lose 3-4lbs but it is not over the top hard.

• Stayed July 2006, traveled solo
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
6 Thank Apple123

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (86)
  • Hungarian first
Philadelphia
Reviewed August 8, 2006

Just returned from Amansala. It did offer everything that was promised and advertised. It was truley a unique experience.
This area of Mexico is nothing short a tropical paradise. The beaches were near empty (could be the season) and water was blue and clear. THey have sea kiyaks and boogie boards for guests to use. The excursions were fun biking too. Shopping trip should be a little longer than 45 min. for a van full of woman!There were a variety of fitness classes offered thougout the week and most were fun.THey rotate instructors througout the season and we were lucky to have an outstanding, challenging yoga teacher, Scarlet. I liked her because she did not baby us, but rather worked with us at the level we were at. Naturally there were various fitness levels within our group. For some of us that were at the high level of fitness, we could have been challenged more by the trainer , Dan. Dan is a really nice person and will grow into becoming a good trainer but he's not there yet. He needs to pay attention to correct form and be a little more motivating and creative. Again he is young and just dosen't have enough experience under his belt. The belly dance instructor was excellent and was very motivating, she even gave us handouts to take with.
One annoying occurance was the changing of the class schedule througout the day. There is a small white board that listed the daily classes and times. Sometimes they would change without notice. A painting workshop was cancelled one day and then another day the tribal dance instructor did not show up and we were all dissapointed. It was substituted with a beach walk which just didn't cut it. I felt we should have been given a better option. Even a free drink would have been fair! One time yoga was listed for after lunch sometime and during lunch the yoga teacher told the receptionist to cancel yoga and change it to Volleyball because we should have fun..... I think she was just too tired to teach another class! So again some were looking forward to yoga and didn't feel volleyball should have been substituted last minute.
THis is not a trip for any "prima donna" or one that expects imediate service as Americans are used to. Even though the rooms are beatifully rustic, it is like cabin camping. Our room leaked when it rained, electricity and water went off once in a while. BUt we didn't make a big drama over it because we know we're practically in the middle of a jungle!
THe kitchen staff is amazing always friendly and willing to please. The food is %100 fresh and healthy. I was happy to eat predominantly vegies, fish and fruits. This was my kind of food, so if you're looking for a super meaty high carb menu forget it! I was glad and expected this kind of food. The massages were really wonderful, Don't forget to tip them! In fact I wished we were warned that we had to tip the entire staff before leaving. We heard the owner suggested 10-15 dollars for each! Well there are 5-6 kitchen staff and 4-5 house cleaners then the instructors etc.. this should be mentioned on the web site.This got a little wierd because there were multiple income levels within the group and some didn't want to be judged on the amount they gave. A better system needs to be in place for this.
Melissa the owner is a true entrepunuer. Her social skills are combined with business all the time. She could be laughing and smoozin one minute and then repremanding one of the workers the next. She is a business woman at heart and is expanding as you read this! I read an article that said that Amansala attracts supermodels and these types..... I'am soooooooo glad there were no such types. I then thought that maybe Melissa wants to attract business from that audience which would ruin this experience for the normal person that likes to combine healthy eating and fitness into a vacation. Melissa dosen't provide any comment cards because I don't think she wants to hear it!
She is just that type.
I had a great time and made some new friends that I plan to keep in touch with. This can be a good experience if you are open , flexible and friendly!

• Liked — rooms
  • Disliked — lack of water at times
  • Tips/Secrets — be flexible
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled with friends
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 Thank suitcasegirl
ny, ny
Reviewed June 27, 2006

Bikini boot camp is definitely not worth the money (i agree with the other reviewer). The exercise classes were inferior to those offered at my gym. The staff is not very professional. The food was really good, but there was never enough of it, I was hungry for a week. The pictures on the website show exercise classes taking place outside using nature as the gym...however the only exercise that took place on the beach was the morning beach walk, which was lovely but it wasn't enough. There were a couple of bike riding excursions which took place in the noon day heat and we often found ourselves stranded without any water. There was a lot of down time, which was nice for some people but others wanted more activity. And worst of all, they allow people to smoke, which really irritated while being on a health vacation (and trying to quit smoking myself!). For a much better, healthy, active trip, I highly recommend, the island experience in brazil on the ilha grande[--]. THAT trip was truely amazing. Bikini boot camp leaves much to be desired.

Stayed April 2006
6 Thank leecylee
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed June 15, 2006

What brings one to Tulum is the isolation and beauty. The need for some relaxation and simplicity. Amansala’s web page embodies exactly that. The décor is natural and artistic and the rooms are beautiful in a rustic design. Escape and enjoy yourself is the general impression. Upon arriving your taken aback by the unobtrusive atmosphere of Amansala and it’s subtle blend into the natural surroundings.
Unfortunately upon experiencing a stay at this eco-chic resort one is very disappointed. The staff creates a click that as a guest makes you feel uncomfortable and in the way. All the most pleasant and even romantic locations are inevitably taken over by them. It feels more like a place for them to have a holiday with them doing you a favor for letting you stay there.
For 200 dollars a night, I expect a lot more quality then they offer. Understanding that it’s supposed to be basic and rustic does not mean they get to rip you off. I’ve slept in better beds when I was 18 and staying in youth hostiles. For 200 dollars a night I could stay in an upscale resort with a comfortable bed, AC (they don’t even have ceiling fans), fresh water to shower with, and guest hospitality. Between the staff waking you up in the morning with them talking and playing music, the terrible coffee and luke-warm milk, their dogs barking all night and attracting other dogs, the horribly uncomfortable mattresses, and them just plain hanging out everywhere all day and night, I really wonder why they don’t have more negative revues.
I don’t usually post comments but I feel the need to forewarn other travelers. The natural beauty and seclusion of Tulum has nothing to do with Amansala yet they feel because of it they can take advantage of the unknowing traveler who thinks by paying more one’s lodging is a shoe-in for success and pleasure. You can get all the beauty and seclusion in a dozen other places along that road with the same concept but for half the price. My advice is to avoid the tourists and modern conveniences of Cancun, go to eco-friendly rustic gorgeous Tulum and definitely do not go to Amansala and pay 200 dollars a night for a cabana with no ceiling fan, horrible beds, and a rude staff. Pay 80 dollars a night for a cabana with a ceiling fan, a decent bed and a warm environment and you’ll come back home refreshed, awe-inspired, and feel it was completely worth your hard earned money.

• Stayed June 2006
24 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed May 13, 2006

My boyfriend and I just came back from staying at Amansala for 3 nights. The beach was amazing. the location is unbeatable and everyone was very friendly and welcoming. The food was pretty good but the prices weren't written anywhere and the bill total changed daily for breakfast even though we ordered the same thing everyday. All in all it was perfect. We had the best time there. The one draw back was the price. I was looking forward to yoga classes as this is a big selling point. I had expressed interest in yoga while we were in the process of reserving a room and no one ever mentioned that there would be no classes or activities of any kind the week that we were there. We had an amazing trip but I felt the lack of information was a little deceptive and would certainly push me to look a little further for accomodations on our next trip. I felt that for the price we should have been offered more.

• Stayed May 2006
4 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
brooklyn, ny
Reviewed May 6, 2006

i'm writing this review because when i initially looked into amansala, i was scared to go because of all of the negative reviews at this site. while some of the reviews were truthful in some ways, my overall experience at amansala was wonderful.

my room was beautiful and had great colors and decoration. i visited some of the other rooms and they were great as well. the beach was beautiful and mostly quiet. i will admit that part of the time the beach was used for photo shoots, which no one was too happy about. however, i didn't let it bother me and continued to sit on my beach chair in the sun.

the food was pretty good, but make sure that you know what kind of food they serve. it is a lot of fish, veggies, and fruit. the staff is great and they will accommodate most needs. also, they will give you coffee if you ask for it!

i think that the price of amansala is a bit high and you can find less expensive places in tulum. however, my experience at amansala was just what i needed. a quiet and peaceful vacation that allowed me to be healthy and spend time on the beach.

• Stayed February 2006
1 Thank relliebelle
NY
Reviewed April 29, 2006

I just read the review about having the same food over and over, but I signed up to lose weight so did not mind eating a lot of salad, grilled fish and fresh fruit. The salads were so good I would have been fine to just eat those for each meal!

IThey do not really serve Pina Coladas because they are loaded with fat and are not on the Bikini Boot Camp menu nor is coffee at night...in fact my first trip there they did not have coffee at all but added it for breakfast by popular demand. When someone signs up for the Bikini Boot Camp thing, they should know what they are in for 6 days of exercise, healthy food, workout classes and spending time on a beautiful beach. It is not a military like experience but defintely encourages you to get moving and do more than just hang out on the beach. I lost 3 pounds my first trip and about the same this time.

The rooms are all great. Some of them better than others but it depends when you sign up which one you get. The yoga classes, bike rides, cardio and dance classes were all great. The staff is super sweet and bends over backwards to make you feel welcome. It feels like you are at someones beachhouse.

The beach is incredible and the whole place has a nice vibe to it. I have been 2 tiimes and will definitley be coming back.

• Stayed April 2006