“take care with check-out”

Amansala Eco-Chic Resort + Retreat
Ranked #57 of 100 Hotels in Tulum
Reviewed August 26, 2013

take care about payment time!! i did my check-out 1 day before to leave the hotel and i paid total amount in cash; the followed day they told me that missing 50 dollars and at the and i hade to pay again it! we didn't find the solution....i m sure gave all money and when you do check-out normaly the desk clerk have to ensure to receive all money!!!

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank DANIELE G

Reviewed August 11, 2013

I had a great time at Amansala Bikini Bootcamp and enjoyed the activities, the lovely ladies that were there that week, the trainers, and the excursions. The schedule every day contained a mixture of working out, beach/spa time and healthy meals. The food was great and the kitchen staff would provide you with an alternative if you didn't like what was on the menu that day. Your visit includes 2 spa treatments. I definitely had the best massage of my life there and really enjoyed reflexology.

It is definitely not a high end resort, so if you are looking for posh accommodations then I'd seek out another vacation. Getting used to sleeping with mosquito netting was an adventure in and of itself! Luckily we had a room that faced the ocean so we had a nice ocean breeze - along with a small fan, to help keep us cool at night. Leave your valuables at home as the doors don't lock!

As a fitness enthusiast, I would have enjoyed more classes and less excursions. Three of the 6 days we had excursions which left less time for working out. I enjoyed the Mayan ruins and the cenotes but I felt it could have been done in 2 days and not 3 as I wanted to workout more than experience the culture or shop in town. That just happened to be my priority but I understand others may have liked a mixture of both. The fitness classes were great and the circuit training was definitely my favorite and I could have done that every day but we only had it twice. However, for a resort that specializes in fitness vacations, I would have liked to seen more equipment. I understand the back to the basics approach - but for the price, having more than 2 sets of dumbbells and more than 3 weighted bars for a group of 18 women would have been expected. Plus real kettle bells (not awkward to hold sand-filled water bottles) and balance balls would have been a great addition. Small boutique gyms invest in their equipment and have racks dumbbells for their clientele and I think BBC should do the same. I happen to have more weights and variety of equipment in my living room than BBC has! Just sayin'. :)

Another traveler mentioned about tipping - yes, it is best if you give your tips directly to the person it is intended for as we learned that they don't end up getting the full amount if you just hand it in at reception. That is quite a shame as these people work hard and deserve every penny we want to personally give them!

On the last day there was some disappointment as there was a lot of miscommunication about our offsite meal as we learned we were being guided to go to Melissa's brother's restaurant when in fact thought we had the option to chose where we wanted to go and really wanted to go to someplace entirely different. Since it was at our own expense, it should be our choice. In addition, that same day several classes were changed at the last minute and/or cancelled and this left people frustrated. Other than our morning beach walk, we didn't really have any classes that day. And then in the evening, Melissa was no where to be found so we never had the closing circle to wrap up the trip and reflect on our time, experiences, and what we learned about ourselves on the journey. While the last day was not an indicator of the entire trip, it was just something worth mentioning even if it didn't cloud the entire trip. Overall, I had an amazing trip, lost a few pounds and inches, kick started my metabolism, and made new friends - which was why I went in the first place.

Special thanks to Josh, Jeff and Kate for being great motivators!

Room Tip: Definitely try to get a beach front room so you have an ocean breeze.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
4  Thank wiseone24
Reviewed August 1, 2013

Amansala was amazing. You're surrounded by the jungle and the reality that you're in a third world country. This experience was exactly what I needed to reset my priorities and jump start a new chapter of life. It took a week of: no AC in hot humid climate; no potable running water (bottled provided to drink and brush teeth); no flushing of toilet paper; constant use of mosquito nets and spray (which the little buggers are impervious to); 5-6 hours per day of exercise classes; 25-30 miles of morning beach walks; another several biked and toured to ruins; being drenched with sweat at all hours of the day; unbelievably good fresh food; fantastic fitness instructors; having to abandon all control over schedules and reliable internet connection; beautiful ocean, sky, and trees; swimming in pure cenotes; pushing myself to climb to the top of Coba; and new amigas. Special thanks to Darlene, Josh, Jeff, Kate, and countless others. Gracias!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
3  Thank vlsmaher
Reviewed July 29, 2013

Best way to enjoy paradise and leave feeling healthy. Most trips people gain weight, but, the delicious meals and intense workouts help you leave losing weight. The majority of our group lost between 2 - 6 pounds in less than one week. Great accomplishment for one week. Be prepared with bug spray though as the mosquitos come out at night. Also, make sure to bring bills lower than $20 as it's hard to pay for things with USD if you only have $20s.

Room Tip: Beach from rooms are cooler. There is no air conditioning. If you sleep with windows open you get a...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Erica R
Reviewed July 26, 2013

This was one of those trips you dream about but put off for another time. I was in desperate need of a break. Lots of personal life stressors were weighing on me, work, the recent passing of my mother, my sister's recently diagnosed cancer. I needed a break. Having few expectations I booked this trip. My sister and her friend were already booked and my 25 year old daughter was "psyched!" We weren't disappointed.

We all met up at Amansala on a mid July afternoon. The sun was shining, it was summer. When I stepped out of the van I was surprised that it was "cooler" in Tulum than it was in Baltimore where I had originated. Yay!!!

I was escorted to my room and given the lay of the land. "Don't drink the water, there are bottles of fresh water in your room, don't flush the tp, put it in the basket, sleep w/the windows open there"s a great ocean breeze, and make certain to sleep under the mosquito net." Then the best instruction of all, "put on your bathing suit and come on down to the beach. Lunch is in a few minutes."

I spent the next 6 days here. What a treat!! Fresh fruit and cactus juice every morning. A one hour walk/ run on the beach at 7am with all the ladies. Yoga, Circuit training, Zumba, massage, bicycling along the Tulum main drag, shopping in "town," swimming in the perfectly temperate ocean, fabulous lunches, dinners, and the fabulous women who came to be healed, transformed and just plain get away from it all.

This was magical in so many ways. Anyone would feel comfortable. All ages, All body types. All walks of life. Welcome to yourself!! A well deserved treat.

Room Tip: Ask for ocean front!!! There is no air conditioning. If you don't have oceanfront you won't...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank mtnwmn
Reviewed July 13, 2013

I spent 5 nights at bikini boot camp and loved it! You should know 'Eco chic' means no air conditioning so make sure to ask for a room with a working fan. The schedule changed daily and all trainers were highly qualified. The meals were healthy and delicious. This is much more of a healthy vacation get away than anything negative that comes with having 'bikini' in the title. The bike rides on beach cruisers, climbing Mayan ruins, cliff jumping, and African dance classes were a highlight. Not sure if it was the exercise, clean eating, or beautiful beaches but I came home feeling better about myself than I ever have before. I would do this alone or come back with girlfriends. Guys would be fine there.. Not an issue at all.

Room Tip: Ask for the rooms with the fans above the beds!
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank Stephanie B
Reviewed June 7, 2013

Bikini Bootcamp was everything I expected and SO much more! I went with a good friend for some R&R and we had the time of our lives! You have the freedom to participate in as many or as few of the group exercises/activities as you like. The food was amazing and I never felt hungry or like I didn't have enough to eat, and if you don't like what the cooks made for a certain meal, they will make you whatever you want! The workouts were so fun and were made for all levels! The staff was amazing and took us on wonderful adventures to some amazing Mayan ruins and beautiful cenotes. I went to just relax and let go and that is exactly what happened. I met some amazing people of all ages from all over the world and had a blast. I can't wait to go back to Amansala!!

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends